|Using mIRC for the chatroom
The chatroomonsite can be accessed using the applet there, but if you want a slightly more permenant setup you can use your own IRC client software. We highly recommend mIRC.
1) First get the latest version of mIRC from http://www.mirc.com/
2) Install it onto your system (it will normally appear at c:\mirc)
3) Run mirc32.exe in this new folder (or double click the new shortcut the install created on your desktop)
4) Close off the first popup box that opens, it's merely the "about" box
5) You should now see a popup box named "mIRC Options"
6) Press the button on the right labelled "Add"
7) Fill in the boxes with these values
IRC Server: irc.arniesairsoft.co.uk
8) There's no need to fill in anything else - no password is needed to connect to the servers.
9) Press "add". Right, you've now got mIRC setup correctly to connect to our server.
10) Now, you need to fill in your details (Full name, and e-mail address are optional) You must put in a nickname, and it's recommended to add an alternative. These
(Note: You can now connect, the next few steps are just things I've found most people do anyway, to make it easier to use, do them if you want.)
11) Now look on the left of the box where there is a tree diagram thingy (ooh, the technical detail) Click the one under connect marked "options"
12) Untick "Pop up connect dialog on startup"
13) Tick "Connect on startup"
14) Press OK and click the little lightning bolt icon on the far left of the toolbar
15) You'll then connect to the server, and another popup box will open, untick the box at the bottom, and close it
16) Type /join #airsoft
17) Press enter (if you haven't already) and you'll join the airsoft room!
A few useful commands:
/list - Will list all the channels on the server
/part - Will let you leave a room
/quit - Disconnect from the server
/me [blah] - Assuming your name is Jim, will say "Jim [blah]" to everyone in the room. So for example typing /me is feeling sad would say Jim is feeling sad to everyone in that chatroom.
Double clicking someones nickname will open a private chat with them.
Right clicking on someones nickname will give you some additional options, such as a "whois" (try it out, it's pretty self-explanatory)
You can't use the "kick" or "ban" options unless you are an op or halfop (the character @ or % next to your name)
Thats about it! If you get stuck, then have a look in the mIRC help file, it's actually very good. Try asking some of the ops in the airsoft room, they should all spare you the time, if they don't, simply ask another one. Anyone else care to add/correct anything in here, do so.
Guide modified from an original written by Kev (IRCop, chat-solutions.org)