Zombie Huntin'

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, can't people go a bit more minimalist, all well and good running around with all that on but it would be a *badgeress* to move in.

I would say only take enough to a skirmish for what you will need.

I'm thinking based on a 'if it ever did happen' setup:

Pistol with a common caliber (9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP).

Around 3-5 Magazines based on capacity.

Medium sized bladed weapon or axe.

Food pouches and a water bottle holder.

Secondary knife or similar.

Look at all great reference films to zombie horror and survival and note the number of items the protagonists have on them. Shirt, Trousers and Gun. Try Dawn / Day of the Dead or Resident Evil 3 all just had what they could scrounge up, not tooled up for a fight, just to survive.

Unless you happened to stumble on an ammo storage and thought 'what the hell'.

'FireKnife'

Or you actually happen to be a professional zombie hunter? Or part of a police special weapons team, a military (or corporate) containment team, a survivalist, or whatever. It makes sense to be tooled up like that, as you're likely to have some form of support and will likely have to deal with uninfected rioters/survivalists/whatever.

In any case, the utilities and leather would make sense for, say, a biker or horseback survivor, while the digi and black is an Umbrella containment team member (looks based off of RE2 (movie) to me, only with digi-cam instead of TacTiger).

Well i personally choose a limited loadout due to the sudden nature of a 'Zombie or viral outbreak', i doubt, if it happened, there would be time to react to it so i base my loadout off of a scrimped and scavange idea with more movement then carrying capacity in mind.

As for the Resi Films, i think they rate high on the list of 'things that ###### off the fans of a genre or series by 100%' hence why i ignore loadouts of that nature.

'FireKnife'

Well i personally choose a limited loadout due to the sudden nature of a 'Zombie or viral outbreak', i doubt, if it happened, there would be time to react to it so i base my loadout off of a scrimped and scavange idea with more movement then carrying capacity in mind.

'FireKnife'

Except that, in the UK, finding a pistol with a 'common calibre like 9mm, .40 SCW,.45' would be pretty much impossible.. So would getting hold of pretty much any firearm except some form of shotgun (not my ideal anti-zombie weapon, lol)

So we'd be a bit more screwed this side of the pond.

As starburst said, i would have thought that in a zombie related crisis, the option of getting hold of a 9mm from a dead police officer or similar would be a possible.

Or if you encounter a zombified armed response officer, bash his head in and take his gun, thus giving you a 9mm or similar.

Or if you live in a city area just raid the poorer housing areas of the city and find the illegal weapons and such that chavs and the like stash away.

'FireKnife'

Well, what do you go for?

1. Uber realistic Zombie Huntin' loadout - UK style:

What stage are you at? Night Of The Living Dead (initial local outbreak stage), Dawn Of The Dead (nationwide panic stage), or Land Of The Dead (living in a world full of Z's stage)? Makes a difference. First one's pretty much your own clothes and a rubber crowbar or machete (got both right here). Second one, if you've got a firearm it'll most likely be a double barrel shotgun - hard to find in airsoft, so I've substituted a pump action for now. Third, well you might have got yourself something a bit more beefy like an L85 or an MP5 - something you've swipe off a dead soldier or copper. Of course another source is dead gang member or similar, so you're looking at a handgun, pump shotgun or maybe an Uzi/MAC10 (or similar). Clothing will be a bit more considered, but only what you can get hold of - certainly nothing new or even clean.

2. Professional loadout:

For this one, you put some thought in and do your research. You might base our loadout on the Zombie Survival Guide and WWZ or other books/films/Michael Jackson videos. You'll pick weapons and clothing accordingly - basically, you want to look badass but practical - maybe a .22 rifle and pistol, maybe an M249 with grenade launchers - whatever you can justify working (and won't a lot of us end up with a Glock and an M4/M16/MP5/P90/G3/AK or similar - funny that). Possible infection should be considered, as should your environment - urban gear + black looks the business, but ain't so much cop in woodland. Vests, masks, boots, kneepads, helmets etc tend to crop up a lot.

3. Fantasy loadout:

Basically, whatever the hell you like - whether it's practical or not makes no difference. You might go for something like the rednecks in Dawn Of The Dead (got me a nice red plaid padded shirt and tan rigger boots here for that one) or Guzzi's zombie huntin' priest - whatever takes your fancy.

Personally, I'm a mix and match kind of guy - I've got what I need on hand to do whichever of the above I feel like :D

EDIT: Basically, anyone going for a Zombie Huntin' loadout is likely to have some kind of back story in mind.

The Badger's of the same mindset here as Pablo, theres three choices as far as anti zombie gear goes

1. Civilian, basically any handgun and shotgun and maybe a bolt action rifle or older style rifle (m14, kar98, m1 garand) with leather jackets, jeans, hiking boots, and other civilian gear

2. Military, basically just a Special forces load out with more armor around the neck, arms and legs. Shorter weapons are preferable, especially those with solid or metal stocks.

3. Whatever, see zombie hunting priest.

Yeah at the nearby urban site we try night games and if you can rubber knife kill the marshals before they see / shoot you then you get a prize (but you have to add a phrase such as 'Stick Around' to it).

It's great fun for doing Silent Hill type games with only a torch to help you see and the knife for close encounters.

Actually a James Sunderland (of Silent Hill 2) loadout would be good. Pistol, blue jeans, grey t-shirt and OD or green jacket, pocket torch and a broken / untuned radio.

'FireKnife'

One thing that irks me with most pics of people carryign a sword on their back is the sheer impracticality of how they wear it. Especially if they are carrying a katana like that.

Since I have been systematically practising with katana for years now, it always makes me cringe when I see tuff like the Highlander option of carrying the sword under trench coat (impractical to carry, and the handguard's goign to bruise you...) Or the hilt completely above one's head on back. You won't be able to get it out of the sheath in a hurry, and you'll have no idea where your hilt is moving when you're crouching on the move and squeezing through narrow spaces.

That said, what I'd want in case of zombies is a pump action or double-barreled shotgun. Althought I'd probably give a whole lot for something akin the American-180. Pistol might be only for last resort of making sure I won't suffer long if overwhelmed. Althought explosives would be nicer for other wsurvivors, making sure I won't go out alone, but with a bunch of zombies-

A Civilian with a M4/AR variant or an AK variant would be fine. Because a gunshop near me sells civilians versions of them. (P90s to)

Make sure if you do a James loadout, you have a bad voice acting. =P MARIA?! ZOMG! Good game though xD

I guess US folks getting guns is a little easier though.

Can't be as bad as Harry Mason from Silent Hill 1 who runs with just bending his knees and looks like a pillock when he runs into walls and things. Or dances like a prat when he is attacked.

But his impression would be tough to do due to the lack of S&W Sigma pistols (look closely on the item menu to see what i mean).

Well i'm also on the look out for a jacket like this (but without the fur lining):

bcb0efdb38b4mc7.jpg

Anyone got any ideas, got a USPc on the way to use, some jeans, an undershirt and mag pouches just need the jacket.

'FireKnife'

Archived