Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Guys

Have a question to ask about the stock tube.

I took the marui stock nut off as my stock tubne was a wee loose. I noticed that there was some red loctite on the stock tube threads. When I tighted the stock tube (clockwise), I noticed that the wiring was not pointing downwards. So if you looked at the end of the stock tube, i'd saying the wiring was point in the 7 o'clock postion. Should I simply twist the stock tube back to the 6 o'clcok position and then use a laylax locking nut? Or must I first put a shim inbetween the stock tube and the receiver, tighten it and then tighten the locking nut? Am I making sense?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Damn I'm still having some issues with my gun not feeding bbs. A guy at my field gave me a free prometheus air nozzle for my gun (seriously I just met the guy and he gave me one haha) and said it may be an issue with the nozzle. Told me to do a ghetto fix for now to play that day and ever so slightly file down the air nozzle. I did it (especially since I now had a new one on the side) and the gun fired perfectly fine. Though now I notice my bolt stop isn't working every time, I really need to figure out wtf I did wrong.

Richard mentioned earlier in the thread that you screw the tube all the way in then back it off 1-2 turns before tightening the lock ring. Just make sure its at 6 o'clock position after you've backed it off.

Thanks... Now I recall that post lol (I'll blame it on the Jet Lag) I'm suffering from....

I have a small problem with my Marui.

Everytime the BoltCatch button activates when there is still on bullet in the mag/M4 (but it still stop shooting after the last BB)

I made a short, crappy video to demonstrate the problem with 3 BBs in the mag (at the end the mag dropped onto a pad ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkgR-w_xrY

Edited by robi

I met up with the SURUS maker the other day and he requested for me to bring back my SURUS for some modifications. So today I did exactly just that - brought the unit back to the Echigoya workshop.The updated design is slimmer, and shorter to allow a longer recoil travel. This improved for a smoother operation within the CNC buffer tube, and improved the recoil feel. It's probably not suitable for high ROF though.

I don't have the weight or new length details yet as I left my complete SURUS unit & CNC buffer tube with Echigoya. I've asked for my CNC buffer tube to be slimmed to allow for a Magpul PTS UBR. When I get it back I'll measure the those details and publish them here.

http://vimeo.com/30021021

SURUS1.jpg

More SURUS recoils ready to be shipped.

SURUSes.jpg

I thought this one deserves its own post.

Whilst having my SURUS modified, I got the opportunity to test something very new. This is something that's evolved from the SURUS and hasn't even got a product name yet. I'm hoping I can give the the maker some ideas on a product name for it.

It has a much larger kick. My understanding is the SURUS recoil unit, the piston & the piston head are combined together to function as one unit. As such the power spring is now moved behind the recoil unit in the buffer tube (instead of in front). This reduces the need for synchronicity of the recoil unit and the piston spring in the traditional recoil shock system. It also means changing spring is merely removing the cap behind the buffer tube. However, I believe it'll require a more custom spring rather than the traditional AEG spring.

I wasn't privy to dismantling the unit and only got to play and test the recoil and boy did this thing kick. Dare I say, it's as strong as a well tuned WA GBB on green gas.

More announcements on this from Echigoya in the next week(s?) to come.

http://vimeo.com/30020249

I'd imagine with all the recoil, a cnc lower would be required at some point. Though i have to say, that looks *fruitcage* amazing.

Yes most definitely (search through this thread for the CNC lower/upper). Also with the SURUS or even this other SURUS variant, you're going to need torque up gears/motor. Definitely not appropriate for a high speed setup.

After Echigoya patents and produces this, I definitely want one :D.

Well I got my update for the real steel pMag conversion project, cut off the feed lips, cut out the portion for the bolt lock lever, started to file the inards of the pMag. Then I started noticing the modifications to the TM inner magazine that would be required, I had hoped maybe since this was a Magpul pMag maybe it'd be different from the similar style UK mag, guess not. Decided I didn't want to possibly ruin a magazine (especially with a game coming up in days) and even if I could get it to work, I wouldn't want to do it another 4 times for the other magazines (and spend the additional $60 for the pmags). On the bright side, I have a nice shell to utilize for photo sessions haha.

So all in all, I'd recommend that everyone just wait for Magpul PTS to release their version for our guns, thankfully they still intend to create them.

pmag.jpg

Edited by akiraspeedstar

lol it does look pretty epic, i think echiys going to need to produce these bad boys in a larger amout to meet demand, cnc lower and tube, A.R.M.S (good name :) they should use that ) and any other bits needed its basically buying 2 sopmods lol.. best part of a grand probably.

That said when the aws fets comes out, with the sopmods bolt lock and hopefully monster kick and already great hop i think its going to be hard to say no to that kind of awesome what ever the price, and we all know theres plenty of us out there who can afford a ptw priced gun.

who wanted to know if this battery fit into the sopmod RIS? sorry for the delay.

yes it does and well, its a little tight on closing the bottom peice so i would remove the spacer on the left of the picture for a little more room. but yeah

other than that no mods required.

2ffaeef6.jpg

Edited by Richard Y
  • Like 1

Quick question.

I have a DD 7" lite rail and a Laylax CQB barrel on my socom, and Ive tried washers, rubber spacers, cardboard, etc and I still have barrel wobble. anyone know how or why this may be? Im starting to think it has to do with the barrel nut, would purchasing a laylax hard barrel nut solve this?

If you install some (i've used 4-5 on one gun) of the Laylax washers or similar, you shouldn't have wobble.

However make sure the rail nut that goes over the barrel base is actually screwing enough. For me, the King Arms Larue style rail nut would screw in all the way and require washers, while the Madbull RIS II nut would not screw enough and required a little re-threading. Other people didn't have same problems with the Madbull stuff.

I tried a longer Guarder barrel (407mm) in my CQB-R with a complete hop unit. Didn't really see a noticeable improvement and after 5 or 6 games started to see flyers that barrel cleaning didn't resolve. Switched back to the short barrel and accuracy was right back where it had been, so I've stuck with that. Still running around 310fps and absolutely no issues with feeling outgunned/outranged. :)