TM Glock 17 questions

TheL96Sniper

Well im near the time to buy a new pistol...

I really like the TM glock 17 and a lot of my loadout could do with one... but i have a few questions.

Will it fit a moulded holster? (not sarfariland as on budget, prob blackhawk cqc)

Whats the gas effiecncy like? (shots off guarder gas in uk temps)

Can it fit FPG's?

thanks

Aaron

Well im near the time to buy a new pistol...

I really like the TM glock 17 and a lot of my loadout could do with one... but i have a few questions.

Will it fit a moulded holster? (not sarfariland as on budget, prob blackhawk cqc)

Whats the gas effiecncy like? (shots off guarder gas in uk temps)

Can it fit FPG's?

thanks

Aaron

A ) The TM G17 is a bugger for moulded holsters, as it's a little wider than an RS or KSC/KWA - I've found it fits perfectly in an unmodified ACM G17 Serpa (£25 at Wolf), and i know someone who uses a Fobus roto holster that's been blasted with a hairdryer and left with the Glock in it to widen it a little.

B ) Gas efficiency is excellent - Can't say for guarder gas, but with standard Green Gas, i get 2 full mag-loads and then about 10 more shots before the slide starts to slow down.

C ) Won't fit FPG's, due to the being wider than a KSC Glock, which the FPG is made for. It does fit in the AABB Hera Arms stock though, as they make 2 versions - One for TM and one for KSC/KWA.

I have the TM Glock 17 Custom.

Fits a chinasoft SERPA easily, although with the thumb rest it required a small piece of the holster to be cut with kitchen scissors. Won't be an issue on the "standard" G17.

I'm using Ultra gas, which is nice and crisp and been giving me roughly 2 mags (50 shots!) at this time of year at my local urban site.

Does seem to be a little silicone hungry, but then I'm doing 10 mags a game easily!

Good buy :)

I just got my 2nd to put in a Hera stock; Ended up chucking my standard G17 in there instead - I ordered a standard G17 + Hera stock to put it in + another mag from Mike at ESS, and i got a black framed G17 with the C's ported slide and extended mag, lacking the thumbrest and magwell! I imagine it was probably built out of brand new parts from custom builds for others, but i basically got a brand new, unique G17 with a ported slide and extended mag for the price of a G17... pleasantly surprised :)

Does the guarder frame make an awful lot of difference compared to a TM? I mean other than the trademarks, is the feel or finish any better? I'm considering one, but i don't think i can really justify it if it's only for the markings...

No real difference....both are designed similarly and both breaks the same way when used with higher pressure gas and metal slide.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently running a G17 Custom with a G17 PGC slide and barrel (didnt like the look of the holes in the slide of the Custom). While I've tried Green Gas, I'm sticking to Duster and 134a when I can find it. Still getting good range and accuracy even though the FPS is only around 260fps. The frame is stock TM and is holding up really well.

If your going to get a metal slide and shoot a lot of Green Gas, I'd invest in a heavier recoil spring and guide rod set and look into making a recoil spring buffer to help cut down on the impact of the metal slide slaming against the frame.

I've not had terrific luck with the Guarder parts lately and if you check out the review section on the Five Seven, you'll see some pictures of both Five Seven and I think Glock Guarder frames that have broken pretty easily.

Stick with the standard TM frame and save the money. Every now and then you will see E Hobby Asia selling stock TM frames and slides for very low prices (just picked up a stock TM P226 slide, frame and barrel for $8.00. Its was brand new!).

• 1 month later...

If you are going to run green , it might be worth making a rubber buffer to protect the slide / frame

DSCN1818.jpg

DSCN1821.jpg

a 5mm (ish) slice of rubber hose on the recoil spring does the job, just make sure the slide stop still engages.

It will also stop the "jamming" issue sometimes experienced with green , where the slide is forced back too far and jams on the trigger bar/sear.

Ignore the O rings on the spring rod, that was a failed experiment , the rubber buffer works much better.

Jim

If you are going to run green , it might be worth making a rubber buffer to protect the slide / frame

a 5mm (ish) slice of rubber hose on the recoil spring does the job, just make sure the slide stop still engages.

It will also stop the "jamming" issue sometimes experienced with green , where the slide is forced back too far and jams on the trigger bar/sear.

Ignore the O rings on the spring rod, that was a failed experiment , the rubber buffer works much better.

Jim

Agreed, the front of my TM G17 slide broke off with (admittedly excessive) use with propane, quite a few thousand rounds and it still worked fine, just a cosmetic issue. I replaced it with a brand new slide from HK and all was good. The above method will probably stop that from happening.

Archived