Dr. Drake's Magpul Shotgun Build

aznriptide859

In my rage against Beta Project for building the MAG-K/losing interest in completing my own MAG-K (don't worry, the MAG-KU will be completed), I have begun to look out there for a new project. Now, Magpul and its employees have always been an inspiration for gun builds. Past Costa's SR16, Haley's SR15E3, and Costa's URX3 build (which my good friend Noveske has already done), there isn't really else anything unique out there.

Except the "Magpul Shotgun".

IMG_3631.jpg

Built by one of Magpul's employees (goes by Dr. Drake on AR15.com), it's a custom short shotgun based on the Remington 870. Below is Drake's own shotgun, which I want to replicate as closely as possible

Shotgun1.jpg

This topic has been discussed before on Arnie's, and from what I can deduce, it's an 8" shotgun with a 3+1 capacity. Drake himself posted his build specs below on AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/169624__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Dr__Drake_s_Shotgun.html&page=3#i1350124):

Pawn shop plain jane 870

8" Barrel

Cut down magazine tube

Custom barrel band

UBR FDE

Prototype MOE plus FDE

MIAD w/ VFC and ARMS #23

Mesa Tactical side saddle

EOTech 551

Scout Light

Cav Arms adaptor

Surefire 870 front end with custom lathe and mill work

Now, shotguns (especially those that use shell systems) are ridiculously hard to skirmish with - I understand that, and this, unfortunately will be limited to a CQB situation or just a novelty/show off weapon. I'll be hopefully able to source a cheap Tanaka Scattergun 14" from a friend, which I will start the project from.

Unfortunately, due to Tanaka's frailness of their parts, it has a broken bolt, broken sear, and broken firing pin. Now I know Tanaka Scatterguns were banned in Japan recently due to their ridiculous similarity to RS shotguns; my hope is that due to their similarity, I will be able to use RS Remington 870 parts in the Tanaka.

I realize this is extremely on the border between airsoft and real steel law, and I haven't done enough research to whether building such a gun would be illegal. So, as fair warning to others trying this - be careful of your laws. Also, if someone would give me insight to whether this, in the end, MIGHT be classified as a SBS, due to its similarity to a RS shotgun.

So far here's my intended build list:

Tanaka Scattergun

RS Remington 870 Bolt

RS Remington 870 Firing Pin

RS Remington 870 Trigger Assembly

--Note: I might just get a real Remington 870 and gut the internals for this build...ironic, killing a RS gun for an airsoft build lol)

Cavalry Arms SST-870

Magpul UBR

Magpul MIAD (or MOE+ or even MOE-K?)

Cut down barrel

Cut down mag tube

I haven't figured out the RIS yet, but I'll get to that when the time comes.

That's all I have on my mind right now. Comments, suggestions, warnings, and insight is extremely welcome.

Now let's get this build on track. :)

From what I understand, it is the reciever that is legally considered the "shotgun" and a combination of shotgun receiver and short barrel for registering SBS status.

a receiver alone may be classified as a "firearm" under the Gun Control Act (GCA). SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA)... ... A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length. The Serialized receiver is recorded for registration in the National Fireams Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR).

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

I think as long as you don't use a real receiver you should be able to avoid any legal morass.

Cool project, I look forward to seeing the finished product. I personally prefer the Maruzen over the Tanaka, though.

So as long as I use the Tanaka receiver, I'm in the clear? That was my plan all along...though using a RS receiver is tempting.

I'm no lawyer, but my meager googling shows me that you should be fine. Unless the ATF gets a bug up their *albatross* and decides to declair the Tanaka receiver as "readily convertible to firearm" akin to the WE GBB M4 mess a while back. It's doubtful, especially for a single private citizen, but you never know.

Also, I think (again, not 100% sure) that you can use an 80% receiver with no legal problems, but I don't know if it would work with the technical details. I'm sure any reputable local gun shop can help you out in determining this.

If in doubt, ask the ATF, get a written opinion from the person with the most authority you can (who'll actually give you the signed opinion letter), keep it, and hope that it'll actually stand up against ATF scrutiny if you get in trouble.

Whether or not a Tanaka receiver could be considered a firearm depends on how readily it can be converted to shoot RS shells. If the RS trigger assembly, bolt, and firing pin fit with no modification necessary, then you might have an issue. The real test would if the thing can actually fire off a round, mind you, it only needs to fire once and then it can explode or disintegrate, the ATF doesn't really care so long as you shell gets fired off. When it comes to firearms laws there is a bit of a grew zone, and the federal authorities generally like to keep it that way so that they have more power and authority over a broader range of circumstances.

That said, good luck.

Edit: If it really comes down to it, pay the $200 tax stamp and have it registered as an SBS. You live in Texas for christ's sake, only a handful of other states have such lax gun laws, I'd imagine SBS's are legal there with the federal tax stamp. Though, I think you need to be 21 to get the stamp.

Wow this sounds really cool.

So am I right in understanding that the RS 870 and Tanaka 870 internals are interchangable?

That's what I'm trying to find out. I've heard before the trigger assembly is 100% the same, but past that - no idea.

If in doubt, ask the ATF, get a written opinion from the person with the most authority you can (who'll actually give you the signed opinion letter), keep it, and hope that it'll actually stand up against ATF scrutiny if you get in trouble.

Whether or not a Tanaka receiver could be considered a firearm depends on how readily it can be converted to shoot RS shells. If the RS trigger assembly, bolt, and firing pin fit with no modification necessary, then you might have an issue. The real test would if the thing can actually fire off a round, mind you, it only needs to fire once and then it can explode or disintegrate, the ATF doesn't really care so long as you shell gets fired off. When it comes to firearms laws there is a bit of a grew zone, and the federal authorities generally like to keep it that way so that they have more power and authority over a broader range of circumstances.

That said, good luck.

Edit: If it really comes down to it, pay the $200 tax stamp and have it registered as an SBS. You live in Texas for christ's sake, only a handful of other states have such lax gun laws, I'd imagine SBS's are legal there with the federal tax stamp. Though, I think you need to be 21 to get the stamp.

Here's the thing - from my sources Tanaka managed to fire off a shotgun shell with their shotgun (just like how they fired off a pistol round in their SAA Casyopea pistols), which lead to Japan banning them. If that is true...then maybe Tanaka scatterguns might be considered firearms 0_0. Hopefully the ATF won't catch wind of this lol.

Tanaka managed to fire off a shotgun shell with their shotgun, which lead to Japan banning them.

If that is the case, I would avoid using the Tanaka 870. IMO I would just use an ACM Mossberg 500 as the base gun. It obviously wouldn't be exactly like the magpul 870, but at least it would be skirmishable and you wouldn't have to worry about legal trouble.

yeah King Arms made one for the marushin M500 and G&P made one for the maruzen CA870s. both seem to be discontinued so you should pick one up ASAP.

i ordered mine from DEN:

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=8985

the seem to still have them in stock

for the M870:

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=9377

and looks like STAR has one too:

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=7969

but with no QD sling points or top rail

Since some time ago I have this proyect on my mind, even I design an adapter. I want to put it on one of my tanakas, where can I buy the RS adapter that they send to Spain?

you'll probably struggle to get anywhere in the US to ship outside their borders. best bet would probably be to ask a friend in the states to buy one and then ship to to you.

Archived