MS2/3 Sling Alternatives

TheFull9

Quick one for all you nylon aficionados out there.

I've been rocking my PTS MS2 at every game I've been to basically since the things were released, and it's a great sling, especially combined with an ASAP. The features and design of it give me the flexibility in the field that I would not want to go without. My only small issue is the width (and lack thereof) of the webbing used, after a full days' use it really starts to dig in, but unfortunately thus far I have not been able to find any other type of sling that gives me the same freedom while increasing the comfort factor.

I did consider purchasing a simple shoulder pad or similar to put on to the sling, something along the lines of the HSGI 'satch series pads, but I get the impression that even with a grippy surface under it, the pad would end up sliding in to inconvenient places, getting in the way of my weapon and causing me to have to relocate it mid-game. So if anyone out there has any suggestions of alternatives to consider they'd be welcome.

This is very similar.

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=57

However, the new ms3 sling coming out actually has wider webbing I believe. On another note, you could just get a VTAC or BFG quick adjust sling and mod it pretty easily with a small D Ring for changing from 2 to 1 point. You could probably just put the ring between the two layers of the sling between the two tri glides at the attachment points.

Just to widen your options, I like Zahal slings myself:

http://www.zahal.org/products/idf-tactical-bungee-sling?path_parent=153417

I have the 2 point version, but can also be adapted into a 1 point. The one in the link above is dedicated as a 1 point only with bungee ends. What I like most about them is how wide they make the straps distributing the weight of the gun. They're also thin and flexible so you won't have the sling bunch up on you when transitioning. Their hooks are kinda overly simplistic though, just heat treated single hooks with a spring retainer but does the job and can hold a lot.

Toss my vote to the Padded VCAS. I prefer 2-point over 1-point, but if I did more CQB with an SBR, I would probably use a 1-point. A friend of mine modified his VCAS to "MS2" style 2-to-1-point conversion with a few bits of hardware from old slings.

I haven't used the Irene, but I've been eyeballing it since they offered MilSimEvent.com members a discount. *hint hint*

Urban ERT also do one with virtually the same functionality. I've been using a "normal" 1pt/2pt hybrid of theirs for a while, which is great for me, and just played around with some components to make essentially the same thing. The webbing's quite wide (like a seatbelt), compared to the Emdom Gunslinger (which I also have). Never got round to using the gunslinger due to the extra mash hook required. I now have this, but don't really feel compelled to move away from the ERT.

http://www.urbanertslings.com/rraurhysl.html

Can't believe no one else uses the Huskey Admemtum Sling. Great 2 point sling which allows you to adjust on the fly with its propriety tri-glide piece - so you don't have to fumble around to adjust to condition, just slide to tighten/loosen. There is an option to use it as a one point but not necessary IMO.

Used to use bungee 1-points and then MS2, and now is a Huskey sling convert. Everything I can do one a one-point and MS2 sling, the Huskey sling does it better and still allow you to take the gun on and off quickly.

http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/aahuskey2pt.html

Lol i was about to post up about the huskey sling.. i love mine, its alot like the vtac and similar offerings but supposedly has a better design for sling adjustment like amoki mentioned. and also like others with a few bits of extra hardware you can very easily switch from 2 point to 1 point

Irene Adaptive Sling.

Have been using these for the past two years and for me, it just works out of the box.

http://missionspec.com/products/ias-irene-adaptive-sling/

I actually have a spare Tan/FDE if you are interested....see what I did there :D

Absolutely HATE that sling. So many buckles, doesn't swap around your back as it advertised (especially with gear on), and is not user friendly.

But to each his own.

EDIT: I still favor the MS2 over everything, biggest complaint is definitely the fact it's not padded; wearing a heavy gun with it all day really bit into my neck/shoulder and it hurt really bad, something the Gunslinger never did (since it does use softer and wider webbing).

I can't see any big difference between any of the "quick-slide" 2-point slings. The IAS, VCAS, Huskey, etc. Basically, they're all 2-point slings with a slider. Minor differences? Sure, but I guess that is what would make which one is preferrable over another different for different people.

I can't see any big difference between White Americans. The Californians, Virginians, Alaskans, etc. Basically, they're all Caucasians. Minor differences? Sure, but I guess that is what would make which one is preferrable over another different for different people.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the VCAS, EMDOM Gunslinger, GearSector Slings and a few others. That said I've predominantly been running my MS2 for years now for both RS and airsoft. For the last couple months I've been running a MS3 and except for not being padded, it addresses all the inadequacies I've felt the MS2 needed improvement in. The MS3 is out now. You might want to give it another look.

I've used the VCAS, EMDOM Gunslinger, GearSector Slings and a few others. That said I've predominantly been running my MS2 for years now for both RS and airsoft. For the last couple months I've been running a MS3 and except for not being padded, it addresses all the inadequacies I've felt the MS2 needed improvement in. The MS3 is out now. You might want to give it another look.

I'll definitely pick one up, though I think I may have to put some proper thought in to picking up some materials from MSM or somwhere and doing a bit of work on it to make it more comfortable for airsoft. Do tell me if I'm missing the mark, but given that you take a lot of shooting courses aimed at being as proficient as possible shoot you ever actually have to shoot somebody, I'd imagine you're more content to just say "well, it's a bit uncomfortable, but it's effective and that's the priority", whereas if I'm using a particular sling myself purely for my recreational sports, I'm going to want that padding there to make my skirmish days a little less ache-y.

I mean the issue L85 sling is even worse than the MSx series and that's not a light rifle either, so combined with using PLCE instead of a PC I've spent a fair bit of time with neck/shoulder ache, and I'm just keen to cut that out as much as possible.

That said (for anyone that might be interested) I tried my MS2 out on an 85 while I was on station guard force doing patrols 2 weeks ago, and it's a good option. You can leave it in a 2-point mode and the quick-adjust system is great for speedily alternating between a comfortable carry and a more flexible mode that's ideal for use when you're standing at the sandpit doing your drills. Unfortunately the rear sling point is only just barely big enough to attach the sling, so the QD system wouldn't work very well should you decide you needed to dump your weapon in a hurry as the hook is really wedged in there against the rubber butt plate, still better than the issue one though.

Archived