Market Research & The Tri-Shot Shotguns. Own One?

DangerWerx

Hey Guys,

I am looking to expand my projects and after a long period of thought, I have fixed my eyes on the Tri-shot series of springer shotguns (DE, UTG, TM M3 design).

I love these inexpensive guns. They hold a great amount of potential and are a great springboard to bigger and more advanced things. You can see how I feel about them, here[1] .

I own a few and I know there are thousands of players stateside, who own them as well. Of all the owners out there, I can't be the only one who wishes there were more accessories for these shotguns. So in that spirit, I'll be developing parts for the shotguns. Well, to be honest, I have had items drawn up for the shotgun series for some time and I now feel comfortable enough to expand into them.

So, to help me confirm my hunches, narrow my focus and bring Tri-shot owners the best product that I can offer, please help me out by answering a few questions. I have already cleared this with a Mod... so here goes!

To those who have/use the Tri-shot shotguns,

A. How often do you use it?

B. Where do you use it? Field, CQB or both?

C. Are they used often where you play?

D. Is it your primary or secondary?

E. Where did you get it?

F. Which model do you own?

G. What do you like about the tri-shot series?

H. What are your gripes about the shotguns?

I. Given the gun's inexpensive nature ($45 - $80), how much are you willing to spend on accessories for the shotgun, outside of spare shells

End

On another note,

I'd also like to hear about your experiences with the Tri-shot series of shotguns. Stories, opinions and comparisons would help me a long way.

My first project will certainly leverage the tri-shot to a becoming a little more user friendly, heh heh. I'll have a teaser of my first developing project a few days after this survey.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the limited times I used it in the past. I find that the shotguns are good for what they do. But their application is slightly limited.

The M3 and the SPAS12 are often too long for CQB but not enough grunt for range work outdoors. Not many people use it now since AEGs are cheaper than those Marui offerings, and can do a better job.

I find though shotguns have a slight advantage in bush games where a triple burst gets through 0-10m foliage better than an auto burst, though again not at range.

Because with a rifle/carbine/smg gives better followup shots, often the shotties have sat back at base. Close up, I tend to transition to pistol than using a more bulky shotgun.

I actually used a friends M3 for a while, then I had my own KTW Ithaca M37, which has its own tri-shot function, and upgradable springs.

The gripes I have with the Marui Tri-shot is that it has a very low power, just over an AEP, which makes it inferior to most every handgun and rifle out there. The other issue is that if one barrel jams, it accumulates BBs until it backs up the feeding nozzle, till it breaks. Seen a fair number of Tri-shots break because of this.

If any, the more superior tri-shot platform was the KTW, as it has only ONE barrel with the option of slugshot/tri-shot, and can upgrade springs. It can also take RS grips and stocks. Downside is the receiver is plastic, the innards are plastic, and there is an issue with the cocking system which allows the shotgun to slam fire before the pump is fully forward, increasing risk of breakage. If all those were fixed the KTW is the better platform out of the spring powered "shotguns" available.

To those who have/use the Tri-shot shotguns,

Every time I play CQB.

Only CQB, I've never been satisfied with the range of the Tri-shots, and given the style of Woodland sites I play at, range is everything.

Surprisingly a few noobs/two-tone kiddies use them for woodland games, but I rarely see them in CQB games.

Primary, and when using them I have NEVER needed to use my handgun. Not. Once.

E. Where did you get it?

got both of mine second hand, right here on Arnies.

Two TM M3s

Infinatly reliable.

Even at 250FPS you only need a single shot to get a kill, everyone notices the hit because there are three shots landing at once. The same deal as with a real shotgun(kinda)

Good amount of realism and yet remain skirmishable, unlike the (IMHO) Silly shell ejectors.

Range.

I. Given the gun's inexpensive nature ($45 - $80), how much are you willing to spend on accessories for the shotgun, outside of spare shells

I don't buy the Chinese ones, the TMs are just so much better built. But I will use the cost of the Chinese gun as a base because I don't use US money.

1. I'd love a metal body kit, and I'd pay more than the cost of a Chinese M3 for one.(Must be every single part except for the grip and stock, IE same as the real one)

2. I'd probably go for a scope rail for my M3, a RDS belongs on it.... maybe I'll just bodge a microRDS onto it. If it was just the rail I'd not expect it to be much, if it was the-full-wrap-around-style I could see it go for the same money as a Chinese gun, just not my style

3 Internal replacement parts, the sear, triggers, pistons and particularly the nozzles do occasionally break and we could do with high resistance replacements. That would also give the the possibility of upgrades.

I'd also like to hear about your experiences with the Tri-shot series of shotguns. Stories, opinions and comparisons would help me a long way.

I love them. I've had players not notice single shots from AEGs at 327.9fps(or even short bursts) and yet I've never had anyone miss a hit from my shotgun. Even the teflon players respond... though they still find ways to cheat... like not going back to the respawn or something... whatever.

I once held a floor in a CQB site for a ten minute game, by myself. Every time I pulled the trigger I got a kill, I didn't get hit once. At the end of that day I rough counted my ammo at about 200 BBs less than at the beginning of the day.

I once got two kills with a single shot, that was AWESOME.

My first project will certainly leverage the tri-shot to a becoming a little more user friendly, heh heh. I'll have a teaser of my first developing project a few days after this survey.

"more user friendly" Well, I've been referring to the TM M3 as the perfect CQB gun. It's not the "best shotgun" it's the "Best gun"

Surprisingly often, until one of them broke I was using it every other skirmish.

Everywhere.

Not overly but you always see at least one or two per skirmish.

I would use it as a primary.

E. Where did you get it?

One was purchased from a big retailer online, the other bought from a skirmish site.

TM M3 Shorty

DE copy of the M3 with a stock.

The DE one is utter balls but the TM one has excellent range and accuracy, looks good, feels good and is a pleasure to use.

Often lack power so at long distances, people tend not to feel them that much.

I. How much would I be willing to spend on accessories?

Only things I would be interested in would be integrated torch (flashlight to you yanks) that doesn't have the push-to-make in a stupid place and an adjustable stock that doesn't look like anything off of an M4. Price? For a decent, nice looking stock I would happily pay out £100+ if it suited my style, integrated torch I would maybe go £70.

A - Used to use mine a lot as primary, but not lately.

B - CQB

C - Not too common. I know two other people that use it but not all that often either

D - When I use it it's my primary.

E - From a shop imported from HK.

F - M203 Standalone

G - Particularly with the M203 it's very compact. 3 bbs out the barrel is pretty fun too.

H - Not enough after market support ie upgrades.

I - Internally about as much as AEG bits. Externally, about as much as the gun itself for full metal receivers and such.

I dont usually reply to these. But your VSR hop arms are stunners, if you produce anything as good for the tri shot we'll all be better off.

Once every couple of games. The shorty is always in the bag as a backup.

Both.

Kind of. We run pistol/shotgun events 3 times a year. Some people use them everyweek.

Secondary

E. Where did you get it?

Second hand / forums

The DE M56 shorty and the DE M56 stubby (full stock with short barrel).

Simple, reliable, fun. Three shots ftw.

Range. None-adjustable/weak hop.

Adjustable/stronger hop I would pay $50 for.

every game i played til it broke

Both.

yes

primary

E. Where did you get it?

back of a car in a pub garden XD no jokes

DE m3 shorty

its a mac it just works

hop, plastic, feels like it will break, no accessories

made of metal with better internals and externals upto £130 for the full length but it better fix everything that was wrong with it XD

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty frequently @ CQB

CQB

A couple of people have them and use them occasionally

Primary

E. Where did you get it?

Trade, online

UTG M3, DE M1014

Trigger response plus the slight spread makes them quite effective in cqb. It also throws in some good variety, gives me a chance to switch up the play style.

The clones seem to wear out pretty fast, body loosens and strips and generally degrades.

The M1014 stock is horrible.

Non-adjustable hop

Probably in the $30 range for something that fixes some of the problems

yay he put a rail on the pump ingenious.

P1000350.jpg

Often in CQB

Not so much in woodland

Yes

its a 50-50 with my pistol in cqb

E. Where did you get it?

Wolfarmouries(SSSSHHH dont tell anyone :) )

F. Which model do you own

TM shorty

its accurate ,not too powerfull for cqb yet its got more punch than with a single round and people seem to notice their hits better. Also it has no gas or batteries, you just pick it up and go.

none ,I could say lack of aftermarket support but there are ways around that with exturnals and the tm mech in my experience holds up very well. I do remember a member on here modding a spas with the pdi 1j spring & tb barrels and they said it didn't make a great amount of difference to it other than a tighter spread and harder to cock.

£50, metal body would be nice.

Bit harsh there Heroshark, not everyone has the time/skill to make a bodgineer something workable (and by bodgineer, I mean take items that aren't intended to work together and make them into something highly functional, case in point, your shotgun hicaps.)

Anyway, as an owner:

Not as much as other guns, typically reserve it for themed events or single shot vs AEG games.

CQB mainly.

Not really but we're in a midst of combat machine toting newbies at the minute (nothing against newbies but I can't help feeling anyone new starting at the moment wants something to put them 'on a par' with everyone else, so shy away from more unconventional starter guns)

When I'm using it, it's primary over pistol.

E. Where did you get it?

Site store.

F. Which model do you own

DE M56C I think, tactical stock, short M3 thing. Little disappointed due to the plastic outer barrel and somewhat gash looking muzzle detailing.

Its as close to a shotgun you're going to get in airsoft, while being practical. They also make good platforms for launching 'scrap' BBs from (not picked up stuff, just when I get close to the end of bottle of several different bottles, I tend to mix them all up and use it in the shotty).

Only 3 rounuds per shot :P Would feel a bit more realistic perhaps if it let out 6, so from the same 30 round shell you got 5 pumps but mechanically I reckon this would be a nightmare. I find the mag release a little fiddly to get to as well. Only other thing that bugs me is the lack of adjustable hop (but meh, it is a shotty I guess) and perhaps the slightly low power.

In total, I would probably spend about £50-75 across different items (essientially cost of gun + 25%)

Rarely.

Both.

Nope.

Not even.

E. Where did you get it?

Airsoftgi

DE M3

They offer a skirmishable solution to shotguns, are fairly rugged and reliable.

Lack of range makes it impractical where I play. Encounters feeding issues with bbs above .28. Hopup is not adjustable.

$30

I have fond memories of gaming with my shotgun, the few times my aeg went down it stepped up to the plate. The lack of range was a horrific disadvantage though in woodland/field which is where I always play. Because of this it rarely gets used. Adjustable hopup, and stronger magazine springs for the shells for heavier bbs might help offset that disadvantage though.

I have to admit I didn't get around to using my shotty in the end; just felt more comfortable with an AEG - this was at the Mall which has rigid Single Shot only rules; so the issue is probably more with me rather than the shotgun itself.

That said, my experience of CQB at that site would make me believe that the shotgun would be fine to use there - but a full length shotgun (or any long arm to be honest) would be unwieldly.

Going to Bunker 51 in a couple of weeks which is another close-in site, will try to bring the shotty out there -- but knowing it's a full auto fest, my fickle side may win out again. :)

Bit harsh there Heroshark, not everyone has the time/skill to make a bodgineer something workable (and by bodgineer, I mean take items that aren't intended to work together and make them into something highly functional, case in point, your shotgun hi-caps

I'm pulling his leg .I'm sure DW has more up his sleave . Bodgineer I like it , more people shoud have the confidence to take a hack saw to their gun . Like Typewriter :)

A. Not often enough/whenever I can get the chance :P

B. Both

C. No, not at all (Spartan Airsoft)

D. Primary

E. Second-hand (Arnies/Zero In)

F. TM M3 Super 90 & SPAS 12

G. Looks, feel, shells, three shots

H. Not enough upgrades (Ally tri-cylinders, tightbores, hop-rubbers, upgrade springs)

I. £75 or so

Tri-shots rock, FACT!

Archived