Project ”Perfect Pistol Case” (RS replicas)

NonEx

So as some of you may or may not know I suffer from some OCD and trying to get things to be “perfect” etc. Not working out too well for me so far… :(

Anyways. So since it appears that obtaining the perfect airsoft pistol still remains an illusion after getting and “perfecting” the RA Kimber Royal and recently the Inokatsu M1911 Standard Edition, I figured if I can’t get the pistols right, then maybe everything around it can be “perfect”, or close enough.

So I got to thinking, it would be kind of cool to create the perfect real steel simulated packaging for my airsoft pistols. What I mean is, a real gun comes in a brand specific plastic hard-case with foam padding, manual, spent casing, safety instructions, gun lock etc. So why not replicate that to my airsoft pistols, just for show/fun! I see some of this on the Asian airsoft forums (arms-cool.net etc.)

Currently I have, or will have, these models to work with;

• RA Kimber Royal II (probably will sell it to fund diversity of guns)
  • Inokatsu M1911 (going to be sold)
  • KWC 1911 CO2
  • KJW M9A1
  • KJW MEU
  • KJW Hi-Capa
  • HK PX4
  • WE XDM
  • TM XDM w/ NOVA slide (almost got it...)
  • WE F228 (on the way)
  • WE M&P (on order)
  • HK Glock 17 (contemplating)

So, what is needed to get a replica gun case and contents? From what I have gathered from some Googling and general observations the following seems to be standard;

• Brand specific plastic hard-case with foam padding
  • Case sticker seal with serial number and bar-code etc.
  • Pistol
  • Magazine(s)
  • Manual
  • Safety instructions
  • Spent casing
  • Cleaning rod
  • Gun lock

Now the cases appear to be fairly easy to get a hold of for most models, as follows;

• Colt 1911 case – Available for purchase at Brownells
  • MEU – No idea what case is associated with this, if any
  • HI-Capa - No idea what case is associated with this, if any
  • Glock – Available for purchase from Midway
  • Smith & Wesson – Available for purchase from Midway
  • Beretta – Available for purchase from Beretta
  • Sig Sauer – Available for purchase from Midway
  • Springfield Armory XDM – Cannot find it for sale anywhere

For the models that I can’t get a brand specific case for, there are some fairly inexpensive generic cases that will have to do. Perhaps a uniform set of generic cases would be optimal for consistency, storage and stacking ability of the boxes, but that kind of takes away from the projects intention.

Gun case sticker seal;

Basically just a sticker containing;

• Manufacturer
  • Model
  • Product number
  • Serial number
  • Country of origin
  • Date
  • Bar code

As for the manuals, I see the following options;

• Keep the standard airsoft pistols manual – Easiest choice, not very “RS” looking…
  • Print or purchase the RS manuals – Printing won’t be right format and hard to bind together, buying them seems like a waste since they are not always directly applicable to the airsoft counterpart
  • Create my own manual template which I then populate and brand for each pistol, would look the best and be most consistent, but deviates from RS format and contents and would take A LOT of work…
  • Create a hybrid of airsoft and RS manual with copy/paste, would probably turn out looking like *suitcase*

Regarding the safety information;

• Try to obtain RS booklets – Seems like a hassle, not sure all models come with this and would not be directly applicable to airsoft pistols
  • Create my own generic safety paper containing a mix of RS and airsoft information and re-brand for each individual pistol – Would be easier, more consistent and applicable to airsoft

As for the spend casing, well, just for fun put a BB into a zip-lock bag and then into one of those brown re-closable envelopes with some text and markings on the envelope.

Cleaning rod;

• RS is available, either brand specific or generic – Not usable with airsoft pistol
  • Airsoft cleaning rod – Not sure if these are available separately for purchase, all guns do not come with one as standard. Makes most sense since it would be usable.

Gun lock;

• RS ones are available as brand specific for some models, or generic and are fairly inexpensive, works with airsoft. Only downside is I would not want to keep my airsoft guns locked back for long periods of storage time, but who does that anyways :P Just for show !

Some questions;

Can people who own the specific gun models please report back the contents of each box and as much detailed information as possible please.

Regarding the case sticker seal, what information is on this sticker?

Spent casing, what information is printed/written on the envelope?

I think this could be a fun project, should not be too difficult, with the manual(s) being the exception and should add a lot to the overall package and feel for each pistol.

It won’t be super expensive to do, the cases are fairly inexpensive, and I work for a copy/print company so anything I need to print out can be done for free with some restrictions to formats etc.

Envelopes and stickers are cheap to make. Company logos can be had from the internet to customize. I am familiar with creating layouts and Photoshop stuff so.

What do you guys think ? :D

Ideas, feedback, questions, support ? Bring it !

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... sooo you're after factory cases then? You could just get those off of Ebay and some even include all the paraphernalia sans the actual gun. Your use of "perfect" can be misleading as many RS cases are made as cheaply as possible (some worse off than airsoft china cases) which is why many choose to ditch them and use better cases or safes.

Yeah, I think I'd be careful because, well, what you're wanting isn't very realistic at all. I mean, sure, a lot of cases come with those goodies, but anyone actively shooting RS that I know (key word: that *I* personally know) isn't toting their firearms around in the plastic toy-case that they came with. I've got a range bag with basic goodies and a day pack for hunting/range time, but the cases are sitting in the basement and paperwork is filed away in a cabinet.

Spent casing, what information is printed/written on the envelope?

In the case of some firearms, I know this is true of firearms sold in Germany and some other European places, it is a test cartridge that is double the power sometimes of a standard load, to check that the gun can fire outside of its standard pressure valuations for safety purposes, the envelope could contain a letter from the appropriate company or governing body that carried out the test. In the case of others they often run a set number of rounds through a new gun to test it at least works, often with the last round being included to show this, along with a letter detailing the ammnition used and the amount of tests and shots carried out.

That is the info I can give you on that, it is dependent to the model, the governing body and the company what the info will be, not just that one gun model.

'FireKnife'

Maybe you should read my original post and then comment. Thanks.

I did. And from what I gather you want a factory case with all the neat gubbins. And I'll repeat that, knowing you, you may not be happy with the results as the free stuff you get with a real firearm are the cheapest they could give away. Might look neat for photos, but it's stuff most people just bin in reality.

Yeah, I think I'd be careful because, well, what you're wanting isn't very realistic at all. I mean, sure, a lot of cases come with those goodies, but anyone actively shooting RS that I know (key word: that *I* personally know) isn't toting their firearms around in the plastic toy-case that they came with. I've got a range bag with basic goodies and a day pack for hunting/range time, but the cases are sitting in the basement and paperwork is filed away in a cabinet.

Well actually if what I wan't is an RS styled retail box then I would say it is "realistic" ? I dunno, guess what I am after is that unboxing feeling of opening something up and seeing all the little bits laying all nice in the foam etc.

Maybe a total waste of time and money. Perhaps I should try doing it with one pistol before I go crazy on a dozen... :|

I did. And from what I gather you want a factory case with all the neat gubbins. And I'll repeat that, knowing you, you may not be happy with the results as the free stuff you get with a real firearm are the cheapest they could give away. Might look neat for photos, but it's stuff most people just bin in reality.

And yet you recommend me an ugly *albatross* wooden box with silk in it ?

Anyways, I have the RA Tech wooden box for the Kimber Royal, hate it. I got the "fancy" cardboard box for the Ino 1911, hate that. Standard polystyrene retail boxes, hate those. My custom "Pelican style" foam case for the RA Kimber, not really happy with that either.

As for carrying stuff to "the range" or games, I don't do that. I have my guns at home, and for taking pics and videos I think this would look pretty neat.

Will I end up being happy or satisfied, most likely not. But it may keep my distracted for a while at least :|

And yet you recommend me an ugly *albatross* wooden box with silk in it ?

Anyways, I have the RA Tech wooden box for the Kimber Royal, hate it. I got the "fancy" cardboard box for the Ino 1911, hate that. Standard polystyrene retail boxes, hate those. My custom "Pelican style" foam case for the RA Kimber, not really happy with that either.

As for carrying stuff to "the range" or games, I don't do that. I have my guns at home, and for taking pics and videos I think this would look pretty neat.

Will I end up being happy or satisfied, most likely not. But it may keep my distracted for a while at least :|

So basically judging by what you put about the cases you want to buy, you have pretty much ruled many of them out. Most will come in a cheap, flimsy case. The are just going to look like a box that you get with a HFC handgun but with a few extra bits that really serve no purpose at all, even astheitcally they will get boring pretty quickly.

Also if you don't think you will be happy with the result why spend time and money on the project. It is your money after all but it really does seem a waste if it is going to cost a bit to sort out and you don't really get anything from it.

Final note, at least the wooden case would look nice, be presentable and make a gun stand out, which I assume is what you want to do as you have posted many, many times about the issues you have with the look and feel of a gun, maybe as you don't take them 'to the range' you can't really feel the same feelings that others do towards their guns, knowing that they function well rather than look the part?

'FireKnife'

I think the hardwood, velvet lined case looks rather nice and classy personally. Quite different to the plastic generic packaging most actual firearms come in. It's your project, of course, but have to say I don't see the point of all the effort, time and money that it would take to make things that don't actually look different to the original.

So basically judging by what you put about the cases you want to buy, you have pretty much ruled many of them out. Most will come in a cheap, flimsy case. The are just going to look like a box that you get with a HFC handgun but with a few extra bits that really serve no purpose at all, even astheitcally they will get boring pretty quickly.

Also if you don't think you will be happy with the result why spend time and money on the project. It is your money after all but it really does seem a waste if it is going to cost a bit to sort out and you don't really get anything from it.

Final note, at least the wooden case would look nice, be presentable and make a gun stand out, which I assume is what you want to do as you have posted many, many times about the issues you have with the look and feel of a gun, maybe as you don't take them 'to the range' you can't really feel the same feelings that others do towards their guns, knowing that they function well rather than look the part?

'FireKnife'

No because the wood box and my custom case for the Kimber aren't as per real steel retail box. I am kind of obsessed with retail boxes actually, for all things. So the quality of the actual box would not bother me as much if it "looked right". And as for the money, I would say it would be just about $30 bucks per case on average, only thing costing me is the retail box and gun lock. The rest I can get/make for free with a little time on my hands. As for the wooden boxes standing out, well, so would an RS styled box with accessories do as well in relation to airsoft boxes and displays :o

I don't like wood... No pun intended.

Considering I am never happy or satisfied with anything, my entire life is a waste of time and money right now, but at least it keeps me distracted until the next thing comes along.

This is turning out to be more of a therapy session than anything else, probably just as well.. I have issues :(

I appreaciate any and all comments though so keep it coming :)

ANyways, 30 minutes in photoshop, diddled up a manual layout template for a Glock 17 Gen4. I think I would just copy the layout, change the text and logos and colors to match each pistol. Pretty neat eh ?

glock_manual_layout_template_v1.jpg

Not sure if having the parts letters on top of the items is good, having them to the side with lines might be better to not obstruct as much, but I think it looks more cluttery.

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to add. Having looked thru the RS manuals for all of the guns above, most of them are layed out and look like *suitcase*, just a mess. The best one is for the XDM. So to get consistency and a nice look and having them relevant to airsoft making my own is probably what I will do... Or not, gonna be alot of time :0

This does seem like a waste of time, money and effort. My guns (shotguns) came in a plain card box with the gun wraped in a plastic sheeth. No instructions, no barcode, no spent shells nothing. Actually I think there was a cable tie.

Like everyone else said pistols and the such unless your buying somthing expensive like a Desert Eagle come in cheap *suitcasey* boxes that generally fall apart after a few hours. Hence why most people bin them and buy Peli cases.

Desert Eagle Presentation Case

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Cases-and-Tools/Magnum-Research-Walnut-Presentation-Case.asp

Their plastic case -

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Cases-and-Tools/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-Plastic-Case.asp

Offical Glock Case -

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/14_Portable%2BSafes/7095_Glock%2BFactory%2BLockable%2BGun%2BCase%2BNew%2BVersion%2BLockable/

They cost between $20 - $40 around £15 - £30. The price will tell the the lack of quality.

Mweh... :|

I hear what you are saying, but it would look so neat to replicate the RS retail boxes :o

That's my whole point here... I think some of you misunderstood the topic, I know the retail boxes aren't perfect, but I meant a prefect duplicate of a crappy retail box :D

*fruitcage*it, I think I will do this, try with one first and see how it feels. I really do wanna make my own manual though, that would look bad *albatross*, maybe I could sell them for profit ;)

Ok, just to ask, do you have a girlfriend / partner / wife / significant other / boyfriend / whatever floats your boat?

As you seem to have a lot of spare time and money on your hands which coupled with the random ideas you have makes me think that maybe that money could do going towards wining and dining and a holiday somewhere :P.

Still if you are dead set on getting a case scoure eBay, some people don't throw away those cases as they may be worth £5-10 of someone's money. The manual idea sounds good, but I couldn't see you having much luck selling them on apart from the odd camera enthusiast that wants some props for his gun, but then could just buy the real thing. ;)

'FireKnife'

Hehe, no, solo as can be and indepedent, and I like it that way. Just taking care of myself :P

Although I guess having someone slap some sense into me would be good at times.

I looked at eBay, those cases are either same price as from retailer or more, and used. I like my stuff brand new, so I will get them from the manufacturers or retailers.

As for the manual, well, the real ones A. Look like *suitcase*, B. Are cluttery as hell C) Do not always apply to airsoft guns . A hybrid manual that I make myself that mixes RS like contents but is applicable to airsoft versions and looks good with good quality contents and structure = WIN ! :)

I was kidding about selling them, hehe :)

Fair enough, just you do seem to suffer the same thing I do when I have lots of money spare but nothing to spend it on 'other person' wise. Come up with ideas and dive into a hobby or something else. :P

Well that makes sense, have seen that in the US they go for very little but add in the postage and you are getting the same from the manufacturers new here, especially the European ones.

Very true, many manuals, both airsoft and real gun either feel like they have no set contents, are made to make the user look stupid or just don't even match up with the actual gun.

I had a feeling you were, but that is why I put a ;) and decided to actually see if I could come up with a minority that would buy them. Still it would be nice to see, only thing is try doing the arrows for the part numbering, not slapping it on the part as on some guns it can obscure detail and get very cluttered, but is fine for say a Glock which doesn't have that many parts, plus you will need to do it from a few angles. Oh and things which are common to all guns (muzzle, trigger guard etc) can be left out to save space and things like K-thumb rest, well that is really part of the grip and not a seperate part so this seems a little unnecessary. :P

'FireKnife'

Just remembered something. Regarding the spent casing.

I looked it up and appears to be one of two things. Some states require it to be logged into a national database for crime prevention, and/or it is supplied as proof of functionality from the manufacturer.

I checked out some different manuals of having the number on the gun/part and the lines/arrows and I find the line/arrow things looks worse. Obstructing the view doesn't really matter if th end user of the manual has the gun in front of them to see. And most manuals specify both parts and features and functions. Doesn't hurt to add in as much detail and info as possible. Will use enough angles to cover the gun and magazine. I will try both and see...

Bit of misc. info:

Any gun manufactured or imported in to the UK (no knowledge of other countries I'm afraid) has to be proven before it can be sold and there are currently only two 'proofing houses' in Britain, London and Birmingham. I've been around the one in Birmingham, had a look at the over-pressured cartridges being put together and then fired. From what the old guys working there told us, they put on certain proof marks and issue some kind of certificate with each weapon, but the spent casings were just binned/recycled (not reloaded). So I'd imagine the original manufacturer might put a test firing case in to the packaging, but that's slightly different to the actual proofing of the load bearing parts.

Is that the proofing house which you pass above when approaching Birmingham New Street from the south?

Never looked into it, has always fascinated me. Think it says something like 'Birmingham Gun Barrel House 1895' on the front. Classic victorian looking place, always figured it was for field gun and cannon barrels however.

Archived