Carl Gustav M/45 (Swedish K) build log

Kalashnikov_kid

Hi guys,

Inspired by a love of Vietnam airsoft and building guns, Matt (Wolfman) and I decided to make an M/45 for games where we play SOG/SF as a unique change to the usual mix of Armalites and Kalashnikovs. As a bonus this build is being entered to the Arnies build competition .

For anyone who doesn't know what a "K" is here's the wiki page on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_M45

From a technical aspect the build will be steel where we can and some ali/brass will be used where either steel cannot be used due to tooling limitation or it will not be seen, like internal structures. All steel parts will be hot/niter blued or possibly pakerized if I can get some manganese phosphate ordered in. A lot of K's were painted green but whats the point using steel if you can't show it off!

Mechanically it'll run a V7 box with custom cylinder head and feed from MP40 mags. Hop will most likely be an AK one. this'll be a full auto only affair with mosfet/micro switch trigger.

Righty ho on to the pictures. (let's be honest you never read the words)

Receiver

From this..

20120925_091909.jpg

to this

20120925_091921.jpg

Barrel Nut

Still a WIP needs final bit of lathing and texturing

20120925_091931.jpg

Heat shield

Drilled and hot blued. Still need's cutting to length

20120925_091944.jpg

Barrel

Turned down to correct diameter and test blued. still needs cutting and further lathing

20120925_092009.jpg

More to come.....

Parts and diagram

20121130_150941.jpg

Barrel/heat shield joint

It'll make more sense as the build goes on. You'll see!

20121130_150951.jpg

20121130_162620.jpg

Wolfman on the tools

20121130_154407.jpg

Barrel Nut and Front sight guard

The nut is now drilled and turned to the right size. Still need to texture and blue it.

20121130_161452.jpg

Heat Shield and Front Sight Guard

20121130_161511.jpg

Comments welcome

Dave and Matt

Maaan, if I had access to that workshop...

Anyway, good looking K so far and at this rate you'd likely finish earlier compared to mine. About the finish though, you may want to paint it in OD. All Ks imported from Sweden at the time came with a green paint finish as standard. If it (paint) wore down significantly it's sent back to the armorer for another coat of green, that is, in the Swedish army. In Vietnam the GIs just let the paint chip away and many of the surviving specimens today are almost completely devoid of paint and even reblued in some cases. But if you want it to look like it was still in the 60s-70s, it's gonna be a more accurate depiction, despite how ugly it might look, to have a heavily worn down painted finish.

Did a bit more work on thursday

Brass thingy

20121206_153615.jpg

In place. Relatively rough finish on these parts as they are mostly obscured by the heat shield.

20121206_160207.jpg

Sight guards

20121206_155926.jpg

Me on the tools. Still very novice at all the big boy stuff.

20121206_153607.jpg

Managed to get the armourers manual for the K but it's all in swedish. Good for ref pics tho.

Ta

Dave

Update and pics!

Barrel nut knurled

20121213_152157.jpg

Front end

Outer barrel grub screwed into Brass barrel collar. Then the heat shield hammered into place. This thing is ROCK SOLID!

20121213_153506.jpg

another shot

20121213_153457.jpg

Barrel has been blued now and so have the sights (pics to follow) Also made a start on the cocking handle and fake bolt.

Make a start on the lower receiver next week and start fitting the internals soon. Just gotta make a a custom motor cage and cylinder head for the V7 gearbox.

Comments welcome

Dave and Matt

Thanks for all the kind words. To be honest the manual is for the detailed drawings from odd angles. From that we can scale the size of bits.

Back to the pretty bits......

Blued some bits today. Everyone loves blued steel so here's some pics...

Front sight guard

20121214_102159.jpg

Barrel assembly

20121214_102150.jpg

Mocked up

20121214_102133.jpg

Going with the factory style OD paint job but with a severe "jungle wear" and basicaly remove over 50% of it to reveal the sexy blue steel.

Regards

Dave

• 1 month later...

Oh, HELL to the YES!

I will follow this thread closely...

500px-Relevant_to_interests_cat.jpg

Really takes me back to the days when I did military service.

But isn't SRC supposed to release an airsoft Swedish K?

. Fast forward to 6:25 -ish.

On another note: will your M/45 accept the 5 krona mod, like the real steel counterpart? :P

Hello again. Sorry for the large delay but working at a school means no shop time while it s closed for Xmas and new year. Done a few minor parts but spent some time working out internals too. Sadly it makes pretty update pics so you'll have to wait till later in the week for some more. Hoping to have the GB in place and start working on the lower receiver this week

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived