Marushin M1 Carbine "PSW"

renegadecow

Before you start asking what "PSW" means, have a look at the promotional poster plastered on their front page:

m1co2psw.jpg

http://marushin-kk.co.jp/

It seems they figured we don't mind plastic furniture all that much so long as the imitation wood is decent looking. The obvious boon is that it's only projected at 21,000 Yen or about $244 which is pretty damn cheap for what looks to be a pretty skirmishable M1 Carbine. I'm pretty sure that internally it is no different from the earlier released CDX model. Personally though I wish they'd make properly sized gas mags for it too (the short 15 round kind) because the added thickness on the CO2 model is kind of off putting.

Not only is it off putting, but canvas mag pouches can shrink quite easily, so even the correct sized magazines can be hard to fit in ww2 period gear. I'd most likely use it as a spare 'nam weapon- no problem fitting them in M56 pouches- bit its still *fruitcage* ugly

Personally though I wish they'd make properly sized gas mags for it too (the short 15 round kind) because the added thickness on the CO2 model is kind of off putting.

Same, those CO2 mags look a bit meh.

Also bayonet lug? Why? Why not make it like an actual WW2 model and omit this, along with the cost of making the damn part?

'FireKnife'

Some of the lug models were used in WW2, and it makes sense to include them as it can double as WW2 or Korean/Vietnam war kit. If it's the same design as my real steel, the bayonet lug is part of the stock retaining band, should be a five minute job to dremel it off and clean it up if you're set on not having it. 

I'm more concerned about the profile of the stock. It looks really off for some reason. I think the grip area is way to wide, and I can't remember if that chamfer below the action was actually a thing in any of the stock variations.. Might be fun to pick one up and try to drop it in a repro paratrooper stock. 

I always thought the M1 with the bayonet lugs was about as WW2 as the M2 select fire, as in made just after or in the very last days of the Pacific campaign.

Either way I see what you mean about the grip area on the stock, maybe it is a mishaped picture or one that has been compressed on the sides as that looks huge.

'FireKnife'

I always thought the M1 with the bayonet lugs was about as WW2 as the M2 select fire, as in made just after or in the very last days of the Pacific campaign.

Actually looking closer the bayonet lug is the least of your concerns if you want 100% ww2 authenticity the adjustable rear sight and rotating switch safety replaced the two position L shaped flip sight and cross bolt style safety(cos a button to make the gun ready to fire right next to a button that drops the magazine to the ground was an obvious flaw) at the same time the bayonet lug was added officially- mid 1944, almost all the carbines brought back to armory for repairs were retrofitted with these parts after that, but with so many already distributed they were almost entirely replaced from stores of unmodified m1s or with 1911s or m1917 revolvers, nobody's ever found proof the modified m1s were every used in combat in ww2, its possible but the number would be very low.

For Korea or Vietnam, its dead on the money though.

But surely any sensible fellow wanting to buy this for a loadout would do it for The Postman right?

Usps4.jpg

Kidding aside, the features on this M1 may not necessarily be periodically correct, but if you look at the many WW2 films produced in the 60s and 70s they weren't either. So historically, no, but Hollywood definitely yes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Only just spotted this, does anyone know anymore info about it's release? I realise Marushin are painfully slow getting that done, me and a friend were talking about getting one between us to fix our two busted ones, the parts are so hard to find, the stock is just about the only thing we don't need fortunately. Good on them for doing it though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Power difference is probably due to intended market.

400FPS for export only, and the 350FPS for domestic market in Hong Kong where it won't land the seller in jail for trafficing in what are legally illegal firearms... :D

Archived