British army to use Glocks

ED-SKaR

Seems a bit out of the blue but then as win as the Browning is it is not the common standard that everyone else is going for.

And as said it is harder to keep a Browning going or to get parts for it compared to a Glock. I am sure other things like weight of the gun and ease of maintenance has been included.

Though if I had my way they would all have SLRs and Brownings and win by having the biggest 'tasche or a flag. ;)

'FireKnife'

Well I'm surprised that they havn't taken the sigs further, they are good guns and there are a couple thousand in circulation with front line units.

Not that I dislike glocks, I don't think they are ugly either, I get one, find it great to use and then get bored of it and move it on for something with some character...

Not that I dislike glocks, I don't think they are ugly either, I get one, find it great to use and then get bored of it and move it on for something with some character...

That's exactly how I feel about them. Brilliant guns, fantastic design, excellent ergonomics, clever features and thoroughly decent performance... But all the character of a middle aged insurance salesman called Keith.

At the end of the day Travis Haley (*suitcase* I am actually going to agree with him) put it best:

When the *suitcase* hits the fan and you have a choice of a modified 1911 with all the bits and bobs and a bog standard striker fired gun, you go for the striker gun as once you have used one they are all going to be the same, do the same job, not as well as a gun that is set up or modified, but if it isn't set up for you it wont work as well. The striker is always going to be the same and should always be your go to gun if you need one fast.

Pretty much sums it up, they work, they are a Jack of all trades and you know what job they do. They just can't be expected to run as hard as your personal custom toy.

Plus easier to teach people, no safeties, no change in trigger travel. All it takes is a rack of the slide on a loaded magazine and then in the holster for when you need it.

'FireKnife'

I take it we're getting more than just the guns and holsters for our money? Some kind of insurance/servicing plan? As £9M for 25,000 works out at £360 each or $581. That's $40 more than you can pick one up for in a US shop.  I would have expected a bulk buy discount for 25,000 units.  Then again this is the UK military we're talking about.  Not exactly money savvy going on previous accounts.

I take it we're getting more than just the guns and holsters for our money? Some kind of insurance/servicing plan? As £9M for 25,000 works out at £360 each or $581. That's $40 more than you can pick one up for in a US shop.  I would have expected a bulk buy discount for 25,000 units.  Then again this is the UK military we're talking about.  Not exactly money savvy going on previous accounts.

I believe it includes ammunition servicing holsters and parts.

Or as per standard British Army procurement.

Glock: We'll sell you 25,000 G17's at $200 a pice

BA Procurement Officer: That's good, we'll give you $581!

Glock: Okay.. sure.

Should have taken Beretta on the PX4 thing that meant that any service person killed while on duty with one and it fails them they get so much paid to their widow or family. Though that may only be for police issue pistols.

But either way for that much cash I would expect to see one Glock, about 3-4 magazines, holster, service contract and basic training package from Glock in how to best utilise the sidearm.

'FireKnife'

Haha, oh so very British! I can imagine that price will cover all the bases including spare magazines, cant imagine why it would include ammunition as wouldnt they get that through the same procurement channels that they get 9mm for the current Sig's and Browning's?

Really does drive it home that for a little more than most AEG's over here you could buy a real pistol! I need to move country!

Normally I had high respects for Glock as a firearm, but they've (company) been in hot water locally in the past year having won an auction for a contract to arm our national police with 60,000 units. The bidding stage was shoddy, and testing found to give Glock an advantage over the others. Lastly, Glock won the contract even before anything to do with the auction started. Then again, it takes two to tango and the local politicians aren't exactly saints.

The glock platform is very user friendly, easy to maintain and the new gen units fire like melted butter. The other thing to consider a lot of police forces in the UK use them, it would make sense to have a platform of usability across armed services, as stated above if you know how to use it you can just pick one up and go. Can solve short term kit problems when *suitcase* hits the fan.

In normal land my local gun shop had a few in at £500 a piece that's marked up obviously and includes getting them to the Channel Islands. So personally I think the price per unit the mod is paying is fine. Compared to a new Sig or Usp it's a bargain.

I was just talking to a mate who used the browning extensively when he was in and he's glad it's going. Take it anywhere other than here or Europe where its hot and the working parts expand so much it'll always jam after maybe three shots.

There's No place for sentiment or nostalgia in military procurement. Lol.

As above. An old acquaintance of mine had one one extensively in the early days (he was a Marine, old school). He hated the browning. Even to the extent that he would often field a revolver instead. Stating "at least you know your going to get all 6 away"

This is all moot given the Glock is Mr reliable!

How many mags?  They come with three normally.  Suppressors? That can't be right.  Glock don't make suppressors or threaded barrels.  All after market.  Why would they supply other companies products?  They're carried for SHTF scenarios.  I can't imagine them being used apart from convenience at the range.  I think it's just you can buy a Glock, mags and a suppressor for less than a P226 or something.

Archived