PGC v2 Gearbox

freq88

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, CNC and milling is the same thing... With CNC the milling machine is just computer controlled. The option would be milling with a manual machine, which is slower and thus much more expensive. It would not make sense after milling 1000 pieces of those by a computer controlled machine.

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely get me one or two of these boxes.

-Sale

Sorry, not familiar to machining terminology. Anyhow their website does state the first 1000 will be CNC. I'm definitely picking one up.

Also, no mention of pricing but considering all of PGC's other gearboxes I'd say it will be roughly in the same price range (~$200USD)

Hmm, I might have to buy one of these for my SR25 instead of waiting for the MadBull 470 to materialize. If I'm to be burdened with an AEG sniper I should at least be able to change the piston easily. Plus, anything is better than an M4/M16 style hop up unit. But why does it have to be bright blue? Why risk being able to see it through any potential gap between the upper and lower receiver? Though I guess it's nothing paint won't fix.

These two piece gearboxes will as static already said, allow us to readily swap pistons and also have two seperate length uppers available ready to be interchanged for field use or CQB.

I cannot wait for this release. Ive always loved the idea of the ics split gearbox. Too bad their guns are pieces of flaming fecal matter.

Too bad they don't show how the design looks removed from the upper receiver. I'd like to see how the front section looks and if there's a gap in the side that reveals the cylinder and creates a weak point in the corners.

If it's solid like a Fa-Mas gearbox, I bet it can take a beating even if you buy one of the post-1000-CNC-pieces which aren't machined. Anyways if I can get the machined CNC versions for less than 300 USD I'm sold.

Static: I believe the color is for the prototype to highlight where the cool stuff is visible from the cutouts.

-Sale

My only concern/question is the mounting of the rear stock since you cant screw into the spring guide any more (with that split gearbox design). The ICS was pure ###### in this department and made for a constantly wobbly stock. Routing of wires was a hassle as well.

You would think that PGC would be aware of this in their design and provide a "nut-like" piece (NLP?) for the rear stock screw.

Personally I am jazzed by the fact the the rear stock screw does not screw into the mechbox on the PGC design. I've always considered it a design flaw that when you tightened the stock screw on V2 that it would pull the mechbox back and out of alignment.

On a side note I think it is hilarious how PGC picked that hideous blue anodizing that matches the same anodizing color on the Aimpoint in the pics. I think that is PGC's IPSC race gun background rearing it's ugly head there. Let's all pray that it is just for promotional purposes as was already suggested.

Anything that would make gearbox maintenance/ modifications a lot easier is very much welcome.

Comparing V3 with V2 gearboxes is almost pointless because they are used on different types of guns, but never on the same gun. They mount on their designated guns differently. They are reinforced by other gun parts differently.

Listed at TMC:

http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/imagecatalog...tview/3831/138/

I like the hole where the pinion gear is showing through. Weight reduction and it might also help in seeing if the bevel and pinion gears are properly aligned. You'll also have to make a hole in the grip though, hehe.

The gearbox looks very nice.

i wonder if it will have some of the same problems as the ics guns such as incerting a spring over limits will it snap tapplet plates like a mother ********?

also is anyone running the ics gun at one jule and having any problems with it im crious becasue anthing over 1 it will crapt the bed

EDIT by R22: Do not deliberately mis-spell profanities to get past the language filter.

Check6: In the pics at PGC you can see that the stock is attached by a countersunk screw from inside the receiver. Possibly the nut is in the stock then. I don't see the attachment of the stock to the spring guide as a design flaw. If you build the gun properly with good parts, the airseal and feeding work well: Obviously the gearbox is not out of alignment when this happens. Especially with metal receivers it's pretty hard to move the gearbox in any direction when it's inside the upper, because it sits so tight there. I'd like this new box to have that feature because it strengthens the stock. It wouldn't make takedown that much slower.

Slyguyfry: Seen the tappet plate video at PGC? Theirs is not going to snap easily. And I don't think breaking the tappet plate has anything to do with spring tension.

-Sale

Sale

I've built m16/m4 variants with Systema, Hurricane, Den Trinity and G&P metal body kits and all of them if you tighten down hard on the stock screw, the mechbox pulled back. You hear the change in gear whine when the pinion and bevel gear changed alignment. This is just my experience.

As an aside (and I apologize for going off topic) Sale I just reread your Sun Project XM177/RS upper customization job again. Really nice job that.

I've built m16/m4 variants with Systema, Hurricane, Den Trinity and G&P metal body kits  and all of them if you tighten down hard on the stock screw, the mechbox pulled back. You hear the change in gear whine when the pinion and bevel gear changed alignment. This is just my experience.

Me too, as well as my own Guarder, two G&G:s and one Zeke metal receiver. I first insert all the pins so the mech box won't be able to move. With the grip attached straight to the mech box itself, the pinion and bevel gear alignment shouldn't change even if the mecha moved back: The grip would move along and leave a gap against the trigger guard. If you're really worried about this, you can get a G&G receiver. The rear extension of the lower receiver is attached with threads, so you can screw it in to meet the rear face of the mech box. At least then you shouldn't have any problems.

As an aside (and I apologize for going off topic) Sale I just reread your Sun Project XM177/RS upper customization job again. Really nice job that.

Thanks. I just got a Guarder M16A2 steel outer barrel which I'll adapt to the gun, of course shortened to carbine length from the rear. Reason for getting the A2 barrel is the profile: It has no cuts for an M203 in front of the front sight.

-Sale

Archived