Matrix AK47 Dissection and Technical Analysis...

staticzero

Here it is, my Matrix AK47, bought from Evike for a mere $60. Just to clarify, THIS IS NOT THE UTG AK-47, which has yet to be released. It is more or less a direct copy of the TM AK body, but with cheap LPEG style internals in the shape of a v3 gearbox, unlike the UTG MP5 (and presumably forthcoming AK) which also features a decent copy of the TM gearbox.

So far I'm very impressed with the build quality and feel of the gun. While the body is mostly comparable in terms of quality to a TM AK, the internals are completely plastic.

I ordered this gun before much was really known about it. Evike's sales pitch relies heavily on the suggestion that you can just drop in a TM AK gearbox to end up with a TM AK equivalent AEG for a mere $160. A tempting offer. I was initially hoping I could get away with just replacing the gearbox shell, in other words that like the UTG MP5 the internals would be decent enough to salvage. This is not the case.

OK, Evike is basing their sales pitch on the fact that you can just drop in the TM gearbox, so it must be easy enough to get one, right? I've seen full TM AK gearboxes including the motor listed on a few sites for prices ranging from $100-115 or so. I proceeded to try and order one from each site, only to find them out of stock in each case. WGC even reported that they would not be getting them back in as it seems they have been discontinued. War IV offered a little more hope, stating that they should have more in a month or so. We'll just have to wait an see if that pans out.

Alright, can't buy one ready to go. What about building one up? It'll cost a bit more, but I'd end up with a really nice gearbox. Well, the problem is the motor mount, an integral part not available anywhere separately, it seems. The stock motor housing is part of the plastic gearbox, and it houses a much smaller than normal motor. No salvaging that. With no motor mount, there's no point in building up a gearbox.

Darn. So I emailed Evike: Okay, so I can drop in a TM gearbox. Where do I get it? Will you carry it in the future? So far I've received no response from them.

I wanted to install a G&P metal body, front set, and wood kit on the gun, but there's no way I'm going to do that without getting proper internals first. I already bought a G&G 74 style hicap to use with it (doesn't fit perfectly, the mag catch will need a little filing I think). What else can I do with this thing? Well, it's a great wall hanger, and a great prop for photos! You could always use the body to restore your beat up TM AK if you have one. And hey, it includes a standard mag (a $30 or so value right there), and a decent (though not spectacular) mini battery.

I put about 2-300 rounds through it so far, and it shoots well. The FPS is obviously quite low though. It would be fine for plinking, maybe for some back yard wars if you're in the position to do that sort of thing.

For the $60 I paid I'm not too broken up about the situation with the internals. Perhaps one day I'll be able to get a gearbox for it. However, now that Evike has raised the price to $90, I would recommend people stay away if you actually want to use it for anything practical, at least until a solution to the internals is found. Right now, better to wait for the UTG AK, it will probably be skirmishable if their MP5 is any indication.

Coming soon:

1. FPS & ROF Data

2. Direct comparison vs TM AK

3. Durability test - Can I dump a 600 round hicap in one go?

4. Accuracy and range test

Future pans:

1. Gearbox replacement

2. Metal body and wood kit installation

3. Stock Gearbox - To the limit. In the hopes of getting to 1J, can I run a stock CA spring in the plastic gearbox? I'll examine what's necessary to do it (even if it only lasts a few shots).

Let me know if you have any questions, of if there's anything I can examine greater detail for you.

Now for the photos. They'll be broken up into multiple posts due to the ten-pic-per-post limit. You can see larger versions of the photos of the gun by going to my album here, or of the internals be going here.

Matrix AK-47 with mag. Also pictured with G&G 74 style 600 round hicap.

IMG_7126.sized.jpg

Close Up.

IMG_7117.sized.jpg

Stock and Grip. The wood finish really does look good.

IMG_7098.sized.jpg

Body.

IMG_7099.sized.jpg

Ejection Port.

IMG_7100.sized.jpg

Front Set.

IMG_7101.sized.jpg

Barrel.

IMG_7103.sized.jpg

Mag Well.

IMG_7104.sized.jpg

Mag Catch.

IMG_7106.sized.jpg

Rear Sight.

IMG_7107.sized.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gearbox, right side. It does look like I'll be able to try putting a stronger spring in there if I want to. I may try a stock CA spring. I don't really think the motor will be able to push it, even if the gears hold up to the added load.

IMG_7135.sized.jpg

Alternate angle.

IMG_7136.sized.jpg

Right side, from the top.

IMG_7137.sized.jpg

From the bottom. Note that a simple microswitch is used, but the mechanism still works about the same way as a TM-style gearbox.

IMG_7139.sized.jpg

The cylinder, nozzle, and tappet plate are all combined into one piece.

IMG_7140.sized.jpg

Gears.

IMG_7141.sized.jpg

Gears, alternate angle.

IMG_7142.sized.jpg

Gears, other side.

IMG_7143.sized.jpg

There is an anti-reversal lever in there.

IMG_7144.sized.jpg

Thats it for now! :)

couldnt you build a gearbox though just buy all the seperate parts? (or am i being stupid :blink: )

Gearbox yes, but without the motor frame it's pointless. And as I mentioned, there's no getting that separately from what I've seen.

Thats my boy!

Lol, great pictures staticzero. Except you have the "Made in china" printed on the receiver. That is a bit different than mine in that fact. Also, do you think if i remove the foam in the stock, could I be able to put a large battery in?

You should be able to fit a standard large type 8.4v pack or a custom 9.6v pack with the foam removed I believe.

talking to some people... I heard if you runt eh TM site through a translator... you can order the motor housing direct from them.

I am gonna test this theory tomorrow

Good info. Keep me appraised. I may try asking some of the HK shops to see if they can get the part somehow.

Update!

Chrono reslts: 195-215 FPS w/.2g BBs. Mostly around 205.

Burned about 3-400 rounds (whatever was left in the hicap after lat night's test) mostly in one burst (had to stop to wind towards the end). No problems.

Matrix vs TM AK47. Large version available here.

Which is which??? Well, the TM still has the warning sticker on...

IMG_7146.sized.jpg

Matrix left, TM right.

IMG_7147.sized.jpg

Matrix top, TM bottom.

IMG_7148.sized.jpg

Matrix top, TM bottom.

IMG_7155.sized.jpg

Matrix top, TM bottom. The gas block and front sight on the Matrix are plastic, where as they are metal on the TM.

IMG_7149.sized.jpg

Matrix left, TM right.

IMG_7159.sized.jpg

Hey static, Have no fear, SRC is making a complete TM copy of the AK47. So you could put an SRC gearbox in there when it comes out towards the end of the year. Of course, Jungletoy/ www.airsoft128.com is the place to get them from. They already carry complete gearboxes for the SR4, so I believe that they're gonna carry all of the same stuff for the ak47.

Hey Staticzero, have you tried any classifieds when looking for the ver.3 gearbox? In case you have no luck at retail stores, take a look at ASR's gun parts/ acessories section because I think I saw some there. Good luck!

I'm actually trying to work something out with someone from there already, probably the very add you're thinking of too.

awsome, i would rather wait for the UTG ak though :(

I'm waiting for it also... though not in the way you mean I guess. :) Hopefully it won't be much longer.

all i got to say is junk. not full metal i can see plastic and that gear box ewwww. atleast give us a plastic pinion that gear box looks like cyma/well ######.

im guess the lifespan will be about 10,000 shots on this. any more load is gonna turn that pinion into a blender.

i had a be aug and used a stock marui spring on it and it lasted about 4 mags until the 1st gear turned into a pully. i say dont even think about upgradeing the power in this. i would still go for a utg for the price you can get a utg for a few more bucks that will be much higher qualty and proformance.

i shot my buddys and i wasent impressed we even droped my old v3 in it and in stock form you could tell what one was marui and what was the lpeg with a v3. its easyer and cheeper to just get a marui ak

good review static i still got that v3 sitting here if that deal dosent work. i repoed it back from my buddy and i got a new eg700 and full systama upgrades for it still new never opened lol "got a deal on ebay for it all" let me know if your intrested.

I'm waiting for it also... though not in the way you mean I guess. :) Hopefully it won't be much longer.

I know...I want a UTG AK just so i can carry it on my back as a back up...TOS style. yes. i watch way to many movies.

Archived