How do you fit a large type 9.6v batt in a ics m4?

FUmiYAsu

Well...does anyone know wht I need to do??...to fit a 9.6v batt in a M4 fixed stock?

thx

I dont have a camera handy, but I will try to explain what I did.

When you take the butt plate off you will see an aluminum tube that the long stock screw goes through. This needs to be removed for modification. You will need to cut some plastic that holds this tube from falling out (pretty easy to do, and doesn't effect strength) Once you have done this you can slide the tube out the rear. First I tried a Dermal, and it was painfully slow going, so I broke out the Grinder, and removed about 3mm deep of material the full length of this tube making it flat on one side. You dont need to burn through to the inside, but probably wouldn't effect the strength all that much if you did.

Now reinsert the tube with the flat side down. Next I removed the entire wiring harness(Less resistance is always nice), and installed a mini Tamiya connector on my large 9.6v 3000mah bat. I then insert the battery in the stock connector side first, then plug into the mini Tamiya connector at the rear of the Mechbox, slide the stock on, and screw it down.

Works great, you will have to remove the large screw to get at the Battery for charging.

I now have a Prime Crane installed, but that mod worked well for the time I used the old stock.

hth's

Thx...I shall try this tonight...I was looking at it yesterday and through tht was probably wht I need to do....just want to confirm tht is works...

I am planning to buy a crane stock too but dun have the $$ yet....so did you had any problem installing it??

btw...it fires 2 rds ocassionally when using a 9.6v batt...it doesn't do it with the 8.4v ..so is there a solution to it too??

thx :D

Thx...I shall try this tonight...I was looking at it yesterday and through tht was probably wht I need to do....just want to confirm tht is works...

I am planning to buy a crane stock too but dun have the $$ yet....so did you had any problem installing it??

btw...it fires 2 rds ocassionally when using a 9.6v batt...it doesn't do it with the 8.4v ..so is there a solution to it too??

thx :D

No problems installing the Prime Crane kit. First you will need to remove some material on the Receiver extension tube, as the wings are tapered. They need to be flattened out for the buffer tube to slide al the way on. This is easy, and obvious when you have the parts in front of you.

Then all that is needed is a new buffer tube screw, as the one that comes in the kit is too long(made for TM style) This screw is a 10-32(same as the spring guide hole you would have used on the TM), I used a 2 inch(about 50mm for you non Americans) replacement, although a 1 1/2 inch(about 37mm) would work also.

With the TM you would pass through the receiver extension tube, and screw into the Mechbox(spring guide). With the ICS you will screw(with shorter screw) into the receiver extension rather then the upper gear box preserving its easy removal.

All that is left to do is drill some holes at the end of the extension for the wiring, and your done with modding the gun. Then do the wiring that is provided.

I havent had any double feeds with my old 9.6, or my new Prime style 9.6v 3300mah.

thx...

it seems tht the double feeding problem is only the first or second shot...so it doesn't matter tht much..

o..and is it reversable? I mean once I modded the receiver would the fixed stock still fit good on it?

thx...

it seems tht the double feeding problem is only the first or second shot...so it doesn't matter tht much..

o..and is it reversable? I mean once I modded the receiver would the fixed stock still fit good on it?

That double feeding issue sounds like a broken Anti-reversal lever(because its only when first pulling the trigger). I had this same problem when I first got the gun. Does your forward assist still work? If not, the replacement Anti-reversal is what you need. I replaced mine, and it has been fine now going on 4-5 months with all the upgrades. Worse case scenario would be using a regular Anti-reversal if you have a spare on hand. This of course will lose the forward assist function, but fix your initial double feed.

Yes, the fixed stock will go right back on with no problems. You would then need to decide what your going to do with the wiring. Either restore the original, or go with Deans connectors for your old battery.

...o and if I dun use the deans connector would the tamiya be too bulky?

I dont think a Large Tamiya would work very well if at all, the mini would probably be ok.

If you get a Prime kit, it will come with 2 female Deans, one with longer wiring for rewiring the rear end, one with short wiring to make a harness for your charger. When buying a proper battery (made for Prime Crane) it will come with the male Dean.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my school's DT workshop and used a relatively accurate machine and cut away almost exactly 3mm deep into the tube but I think it's still not enough, was tht 3mm a estimate? did you had to go really deep, nearly gone through into the centre??

Archived