Electropneumatic Airsoft Guns

mcnuggets

For over 10 years the airsoft industry has relied upon the same complicated electric gearbox to power primary airsoft guns. There's been little if any innovation in the internal design. I think the next logical step in airsoft is implementing an electropneumatic design similar to what most paintball markers are using. The entire gun would have fewer moving parts and less prone to failure. Options like x-round burst fire, adjustable ROF and velocity become possible. They also fire more consistently than a purely mechanical pneumatic mechanism. The only problem would be the need to run an external air line to a CO2 tank. I think that the benefits however outweigh the costs.

Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only problem would be the need to run an external air line to a CO2 tank. I think that the benefits however outweigh the costs.

No not really. Part of the fun of airsoft is the realism. Last time I checked soldiers weren't running around with backpacks with lines going to their rifles. For me, the need for any sort of external tank or pack is an ABSOLUTE deal killer. I wouldn't even consider buying one. Maybe that's just me though.... <_<

I mean no offense of course, it's just not for me.

yes and lets see

1) it can be adjusted meanning you chrno at 328 and then walk out and retune to 500+ fps

2) where is the tinkering? part of the joy is tinkering with gears n stuff

3) trigger finger dicipline gives burst rate

4) why do i want a HPA rig on my back when i am not scuba diving> (yes i do dive)

5) seriously .why? if it used an elcro generated magentic occilation to move a piston then great as its cuts down on noise but this just adds a level of clompexity, GBs were developed to get away from A HPA or Co2 ruig

1. People don't want to carry a tank of CO2, even a teensy weensy one. What leet delta gucci operators wear CO2 tanks? None, k.

2. If you can just adjust your fps and rof with a twist can it be controlled, or are we phasing out chronographing too, because that's are outdated as well?

But it's still a super duper cool idea.

I have a thought on this:

The only problem would be the need to run an external air line to a CO2 tank.

Big no-no, kthxbai. :P

Seriously though, I would welcome innovation so long as it worked.

One idea I have is an electromagnetically operated piston. Simply, an electromagnet takes the place of the motor, gears and piston's teeth. Minimal friction, lower energy loss, quieter (no annoying whirr, just a clack) fewer moving parts and less space used inside the gun. Disadvantages I can see are: overheating if not done right, greater 'complexity' and TM MUST have come up with this at some point…

What is electropneumaticism anyway?

can i just ask what might be a noobish question, but it seems appropriate. isnt there any way in a classic style gas gun to have a large internal resevoir like e.g. in the stock of an AK or M16? the G&P dragunov has a reseviour in the foregrip, why cant other guns do this rather than have a bloody great tank and hose?

An electropneumatic uses a solenoid valve to control the whole mechanism. So the whole firing operation is controlled through a computer chip. So everything is consistent and flexible. Check out some of these newer paintball guns. There are ones that do all of this that cost as little as $200.

Some of them have an internal resivoir. My old Kokusai CAR-15 had one. But they apparently don't last long. The RAP4 uses an air tank for a stock so I'm sure it is within the realm of possibility. Just have to contend with smaller air capacity.

An electropneumatic uses a solenoid valve to control the whole mechanism.  So the whole firing operation is controlled through a computer chip.  So everything is consistent and flexible.  Check out some of these newer paintball guns.  There are ones that do all of this that cost as little as $200.

Ah, a helpful answer.

Yeah they certainly sound interesting, but there are the aforementioned problems. There is the fact that people take airsoft for the relative realism. Being able to shift from a high-power low-rof sniper to a low-power high-rof CQB weapon is a bit... odd.

You also have to think, someone could chrono their gun at 300 fps.

Take it onto the field, and put that thing up to 500fps.  Then you have a problem and no proof considering he can just decrease the psi again to 300

Why would some one want to do that though? Besides, there are a few AEGs that can have their spring swapped out easily. I really don't think that there are that many dishonest people out there, but I'm probably wrong.

I kind of like the idea. I see people talking about "realism" in Airsoft on this thread, but really, are 300 round Hicaps and ROF's of 1400+ RPM truly realistic I think not...

Regarding changing velocities, it's not as though you cant do that with several guns on the market already e.g. CA249

Paintball seems to have the same dial up problem but they deal with it fine. Same thing can be done with classic airsoft guns but I've never heard of anyone dialing up their gun to shoot hot.

As for changing velocities I think it'll be great because one gun can fill the role of outdoor and indoor gun. If you're playing outside just dial it up to 400 fps. If you're playing inside then lower it down to 350 fps. Amazingly flexible.

As for not being cheap. You're probably right. But as an upgrade. Like an electropneumatic gearbox that can be fitted to existing AEG's it would be fantastic.

Why would some one want to do that though?  Besides, there are a few AEGs that can have their spring swapped out easily.  I really don't think that there are that many dishonest people out there, but I'm probably wrong.

they would do it because, lets say they get pinned down by someone with a bit more range than them, so they crank up the power to combat this. later on they charge a bunker without altering the power levels, that player becomes very unpopular at best. weather deliberate or not, its not a good idea.

Archived