OK, My Final Decision

Tree Eyes

Allright,

After moving from Gun to gun to gun to gun, I think I've finally found the two AEG's for me..........

#1) The Tokyo Marui FAMAS SV

#2) The ICS MP5A4

Ok, now here's the deal....

I've already done a lot of research on both these guns...and this is what I came up with.........

FAMAS - Very Good ROF, back heavy so you can swing front end around easily, Bullpup which makes for better accuracy in smaller gun, hop up stays in place....

But, hard to modify behind internals, scope mount is about only thing available without having to screw on, Lack of already installed rails, gun is plastic, makes creaking sound when foregrip is loose

MP5 - Very Good and reliable gun, fully metal, best of MP5 series....

Ok, so basically, my gut is telling me to go with the MP5, because it's reliable and is easily customizable.....plus the great review by R22 helps a lot.......

But, If you take a look at this customized FAMAS, it absolutely steals my heart.....

(Hope I do this right)

203_FAMAS_1.sized.jpg

So, I'm think that I should probably buy the MP5 for it's reliability and easy upgradeability and add on of accessories.......

And Buy the FAMAS at a later date when I'm more experienced with AEG's

(Just took apart a gearbox for the first time several days ago, yet to put back together though)

So Basically, I kinda already know my answer I guess......but I'm still stuck.......

If I were to give a friend advice, I'd tell him to get MP5 and then the FAMAS to customize and use as a project gun, and play with his MP5 until it's finished.....but nevermind that, just give me your honest opinion.........

The first FAMAS I heard had a long silencer on it like that which is why I though it sounded strange, then I met another FAMAS with a normal barrel and realised how naff they sound.

Think of it like a french model, looks good but sounds really whiney.

Maybe its the high rate of fire...

The first FAMAS I heard had a long silencer on it like that which is why I though it sounded strange, then I met another FAMAS with a normal barrel and realised how naff they sound.

Think of it like a french model, looks good but sounds really whiney.

Maybe its the high rate of fire...

I heard that gun will not creak if you do one of several things.......

#1) Tape the forgrip cover with Electrical tape

#2) Tighten Screws on forgrip

#3) Silicon oil the forgrip

#4) or paint it

I heard that gun will not creak if you do one of several things.......

#1) Tape the forgrip cover with Electrical tape

#2) Tighten Screws on forgrip

#3) Silicon oil the forgrip

#4) or paint it

I heard that tightening the screws did the trick for squeek.

Won't stop the gun sounding like an electric screwdriver when you pull the trigger though.

Have you been to a local shop and tried them out?

Best thing in the world you can do before handing over your cash

I myself would go for the MP5. Full metal construction beats them all.

My friend has a FAMAS, and honestly, the grips get uncomfortable after holding it for a minute (a cut-in design) and it does sound like an electrical screwdriver.

Whereas, in my MP5, you have a good solid gun (as you said) which is virtually unbreakable and you will laugh at FAMAS people when their gun is cracked and your ICS MP5 is running strong.

If you are still craving the ROF on the FAMAS, just stick a 9.6V battery into the MP5 and you're rock and roll.

The MP5 can be upgraded+ modded to your hearts content, even more than that FAMAS.

Cheers Mate.

The MP5 can be upgraded+ modded to your hearts content, even more than that FAMAS.

The TM version (can't comment on any others) is amazingly easy to upgrade!

I find the A series doesn't look meatie enough, so I went for a SD.

One advantage of the SD is that if you get the full auto tracer silencer (and you should :D ) it doesn't change the look of your gun.

One advantage of the A series is you can get the tacticle grip with light/laser built in which does look good.

If you fancy a sliding stock, just get a couple of 1000mAh batteries and they should last the day.

Well if you really want to compare the ROF of a Famas to any other TM gun then you should really use a 9.6v in the other gun and an 8.4v in the Famas, because the Famas is designed to run on a 7.2v battery and so its already running on an upgraded battery, and so to compare them the other gun should be runnning on a 9.6v, and in that case the Famas often looses its ROF advantage completely.

I, personally, would go for the MP5 because its just so much more modular, you can change it for CQB with a Taclight foregrip, and then for more woodland you can put on a Red dot and the normal foregip and off you go.

Adam

well hang on though, the fact is the FAMAS's take an 8.4 v better than another gun running a 9.6v in fact they tend to last even longer than other guns so perhaps check your facts.

If your doing CQB get an MP5, if your in the woods you want a rifle like the FAMAS for the range and accuracy (as well as the ROF and durability)

The answer to your question lies in what kind of skirmish you'll be doing. You can't beat the FAMAS for woodland in a sniper/support/assault role, but even though it is FAIRLY short, it's kind of useless for CQB because of several things. It's a bit too long, it's designed for long-range, being an infantry assault rifle, it's virtually impossible to hold it it one hand, and the bullpup config. makes it difficult to manuever quickly in tight quarters. In other words, for woodland, get the FAMAS, for CQB, get the MP5.

The answer to your question lies in what kind of skirmish you'll be doing. You can't beat the FAMAS for woodland in a sniper/support/assault role, but even though it is FAIRLY short, it's kind of useless for CQB because of several things. It's a bit too long, it's designed for long-range, being an infantry assault rifle, it's virtually impossible to hold it it one hand, and the bullpup config. makes it difficult to manuever quickly in tight quarters. In other words, for woodland, get the FAMAS, for CQB, get the MP5.

While the MP5 is good and probably best for CQB the FAMAS is not totally hopeless either. The fact its a bullpup actually makes it BETTER for CQB than most assault rifles. Consider the fact that its actually shorter than an M4 with stock retracted but with twice the barrel length.

Also i personally dont intend to hold my rifle with one hand and try and aim with it.

Not intirely true. you can buy a higher quality mp5 - ics/classic army -which will work perfectly on a 9.6 (and then some if you're lucky), while a Famas, though impressive for a stock gun running on a higher voltage, will not last as long (I mean the gears here) as the aforementioned mp5s.

Regardless of the famas's length you can still modify an mp5 beyond the pique performance of a famas, which is quirky to upgrade in comparison to an mp5 anyway. The famas has a longer barrel, big deal. Get a longer suppressor on that mp5 and run a longer, tighter bore barrel through it. The rof has already been discussed. You have said it yourself, an mp5 is easier to manuever but wait, what's this? We have just found solutions to the advantages of a famas (runs to avoid famas fire) - the only one in my oppinion being a high rof but with skill there is no need for such a thing as a moderate rof is adequate enough to suppress anyone.

The famas is an impressive stock gun but once modifications and external add-ons are brought into play the famas is left wanting, especially in the case of mp5s which I believe may only be second to armalites.

In regards to feel, the famas's lower forgrip plate - that gives access to the battery - overlaps the upper foregrip. Compare this to the smooth mp5 grip and there is little doubt on which gun has more comfort. Though I know many of you will disagree here that foregrip looks tacky the way it is built (in my oppinion at least) and just looking at the flashlight foregrip of an mp5 only further accentuates the mp5's classy, stylistic look when compared to the black box. (It may also interest you to know that the famas's battery - at least on the f1 - can actually be SEEN when you look down at the gun through the charging handle part)

I have expressed this issue more than once now but I think that it still bears relevance here. Lately a great deal of newbies have been pursuaded into buying a famas. I have NOTHING against this as I believe that for a stock gun there is little, if anything, that can beat a famas and a stock gun is exactly what a newbie will, in most cases, be using. However I still believe that there are a great deal of 'Famas fanboys' that are simply backing their guns. :P.

I would like to consider myself impartial on this thread since I own neither a famas, nor an mp5 but have had the fortune to handle both so please consider this BEFORE you flame me like a kiln.

Firstly, the Canadian one is that Famas, and is beautiful in a TaQed sense.

I used my Famas in CQB a few weeks ago where the maximum range of engagement was 15ft. It felt comfortable, and if you have a three point sling you can fire it with one hand (push against the sling to recreate a second hand).

The only major upgrades worth doing a tightbore barrel and a bigger spring, which can be done easily (don't take the Famas gearbox apart, let a workshop do it for you). Apart from that all upgrades are cosmetic and can be doe witha little effort. You will either love the Famas enough ot get it and live with what some people consider to be disadvantages (I don't see them as anything of the sort), or you will get an MP5. The Famas will take effort to rape, whereas the MP5 comes ready rapeable.

It's your call.

And just for the record, I'm not a Famas fanboy, I admitt it has drawbacks, but I just find a way to work with them. Bet you any money people that call Famas owners fanboys are actually Armalite Clones :)

I didn't mean to come across as offensive in case you took it that way, that was merely a term that I came up with to discribe what seem to be immediate replies with little, if any, alternatives. I don't believe this to be perfectly (if at all) accurate but it almost seems that people are seizing the chance to defend a gun that often receives mixed oppinions. Insecurity?

In regards to your 'armalite clone' comment I AM offended :P. The only armalite that I own is an sr16 which incidently had a rof higher than my friend's famas, and yes they were both stock! But my joy was shredded when after about a years service the gears were too, and it wasn't even in my hands!!! :angry2:

My primary and favoured weapon now is an upgraded aug civ, so I am outraged to be called an armalite clone! <_< I like to be different in my gun choices (as opposed to 'difficult' as RobbyC calls me)

I didn't mean to come across as offensive in case you took it that way, that was merely a term that I came up with to discribe what seem to be immediate replies with little, if any, alternatives. I don't believe this to be perfectly (if at all) accurate but it almost seems that people are seizing the chance to defend a gun that often receives mixed oppinions. Insecurity?

In regards to your 'armalite clone' comment I AM offended  :P. The only armalite that I own is an sr16 which incidently had a rof higher than my friend's famas, and yes they were both stock! But my joy was shredded when after about a years service the gears were too, and it wasn't even in my hands!!!  :angry2:

My primary and favoured weapon now is an upgraded aug civ, so I am outraged to be called an armalite clone!  <_< I like to be different in my gun choices (as opposed to 'difficult' as RobbyC calls me)

Hey i'm the one with the SG550 - lol

and i think you're forgetting the G36 when it comes to modding lol! ur favourite gun :P

Will unfriendly fire please stop being obsessed with FAMASs - yes they are good stock guns but then what next? :huh:

in my PERSONAL opinion FAMAs are only good for nicking the gearbox and putting it in an academy L85 sorry dudes - those are my thoughts. :flamed:

An Mp5 full stock will be just as good as a FAMAS minus some barrel and it will be full metal and it's ICS and it's an MP5 :D arnies pics are MP5s says summit doesn't it?

Archived