Is there anyway?

Bangla_Black

Take your finger off the trigger. :mellow:

Ahem...

It's possible to do in a variety of ways but it's difficult to do in such a way that it will work with ALL mags, including hicaps.

Also, despite the way most guns look, there's very little room inside the receiver to fit something to detect an empty mag so you'll struggle to fit it.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the F2000 is that there should be room inside the shell to fit this kind of thing without much effort.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the F2000 is that there should be room inside the shell to fit this kind of thing without much effort.

What 'kind of thing' do you speak of? Some sort of light beam to detect when no more bb's are coming through the feed tube or something?

The PTW uses a follower that interupts the electrical circuit, correct?

A cut-off feature would add a shedload of realism to these things--

Steve

Well, Ideally I'd want it to work with ALL magazines and that would require, somehow, checking that there's no more BBs getting into the hop-up.

This is hard because the nozzle spends it's time moving around in this area which could confuse and sort of sensor in there.

The other problem is that a "momentary" sensor would always stop the gun firing if it ever stopped seeing a BB, which it would because as the nozzle pushes it forward.

The only way around this might be to fit a 2nd sensor which, basically, over-rides the first one except at a specific time in the firing cycle.

So, for example, you'd have 1 sensor (fitted above the hop-up) which detects the presence of a BB at the top of the feed tube.

You'd also have another sensor (microswitch maybe) built into the gearbox that detects when the tappet plate is in the backward position and is set to normally-closed.

So, the tappet plate comes back, with the nozzle, and presses in the microswitch. That turns OFF the over-ride and allows sensor 1 to detect a BB. If there's a BB there the circuit remains closed and the motor continues to turn.

The tappet plate moves forward and, even though sensor 1 now isn't registering a BB, the microswitch is now closed again so the circuit still remains closed and the cycle continues.

The only time the gun stops firing is when 2 conditions occur at the same time:-

1) Sensor 1 detects no BB.

2) The microswitch is in the open state (when the nozzle is retracted)

BOTH of these things would need to occur at the same for the gun to stop firing.

It'd work but it's kind of clunky.

The half-assed way of doing this would just be to modify the follower in the mag, fit a magnet and then fit a reed switch inside the top of the mag-well. When the magnet gets close to the reed-switch it'd stop the gun shooting.

Course, this would need tuning to allow every BB to be fired.

Alternatively, drilling a hole in the top of a mag and having some kind of pin poking into it to, again, detect when the follower reaches the top of the feed tube might work.

Hicaps baffle any attempt at this sort of thing because they don't have any kind of follower behind the last BB, thus requiring a "proper" system to detect the lack of BBs in the hop.

The other reason a sensor in the hop-up is the "proper" way to do it is because it'll make the gun stop firing if there's a jam in the mag and NOT just when the follower arrives at the top of the feed tube.

depending on what type of mags you use, with lows and mids you could load a few white bb's in the bottom so you can see when you finished the mag.

just a thought.

soap

omg.. that sounds like a great idea.

i'll try it out.

thanks!

Take your finger off the trigger. :mellow:

Ahem...

It's possible to do in a variety of ways but it's difficult to do in such a way that it will work with ALL mags, including hicaps.

Also, despite the way most guns look, there's very little room inside the receiver to fit something to detect an empty mag so you'll struggle to fit it.

When is the F2000 coming out, and who will build it? I know, I could search for it. But if it really could fit something like that, this topic could be to discuss adding the bb dry-fire stopper to different guns.

If you can't see if you're shooting BBs or not, how do you know if you're even hitting anything? <_<

The Screams :blink:

Anyway I think one of the above systems could be built in a custom hop-up... This would mean that not much extra space would be needed inside the gun which would be perfect!

Archived