BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really stocking up for the long haul now. Fingers crossed the five bags of .43's I ordered will be delivered (if they turn up, I'll mention where I got them from) as well as the five bags of 0.36's. Should see me out for well over a year, so hopefully someone else will have stepped in by then to manufacture new bb's.

Hopefully... :(

EDIT: On the back of my own words, I'm sending emails out to companies who manufacture ball bearings. I'll keep you all updated if anything comes of them.

Well I've contacted a few companies, unfortunately there isn't a financially viable way of making heavyweight BB's unless they are made in the hundreds of thousands, and that's if they are made in China :(

But having said that, I've spent the last hour or so looking through various websites, and it would appear there are companies making heavier BB's. A chinese company called 'GoldenBalls' makes a 0.36g BB in a dark green colour, and there is also a company that makes a 0.32g pellet. So it may just be a case of getting these BB's into the retail pipeline.

All may not be lost after all...

Goldenballs 0.36g BB

after having a look at the CELCIUS website on the news page regarding there ptw, i found that they are going to be making sniper ammo aswell (if the hole thing isnt fake)

the bbs are going to be High Precision 0.32g bbs in black.

i hope that they will be made and to a good standard, as this would be a good weight of bb, not to heavey and not to light.

after having a look at the CELCIUS website on the news page regarding there ptw, i found that they are going to be making sniper ammo aswell (if the hole thing isnt fake)

the bbs are going to be High Precision 0.32g bbs in black.

i hope that they will be made and to a good standard, as this would be a good weight of bb, not to heavey and not to light.

Shame they will be black, as they will be limited on a windy day (its hard to compensate when your pellets are not visible, past a certain range).

I'm sure someone will come up with a good weight/quality pellet for this market. ;) Until then 0.29g SGM get my vote.

Good Hunting :P

I have to say that after getting through a box of .29 SGMs, I will not be switching any time soon.

The predictability of them is so good I can generally compensate and get many more lobbed tags than I was previously able to do with Guarder .28s. Of course the consistency within straight flight path range is amazing and has allowed me to really rely on my vsr when it is most needed in some of the more hectic games.

Woah!!!

While I'm unsure whether or not a BB made from Zirconia would be allowed at any site in this country, I took the liberty of asking how much it would cost to have a batch of .43's made up from this material. One English company came back with this:

Your Price and Delivery is as follows

1,000 pcs 5.95mm GBP 0.36 per ball

10,000 pcs 5.95mm GBP 0.31 per ball

Material Zirconia

Ball weight 0.43grms +/- 0.01

£360 a bag anyone? Step right up!!!

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...sl=fr&tl=en

From Arnies news. One of the best things I've seen for a while. Interestingly, the extremes seem to be Better manufactured (to the stated tolerances) than the SGMs everyone raves about. Obviously, this is only one test, from one batch, but it's given me a very smiley face. I've been waiting for something like that for ages. Hope the rest of you find it as interesting. Thanks sniperland!

Edit: Did a quick comparison between energies useing the airsoft calculator. It shows some pretty interesting things. Here's a small table. Given ammo weight, FPS (the lowest of the group in each case), and energy output in J. I know it's not exactly a perfect table, but it gives an interesting picture none the less.

.2 460 1.97

.28 407 2.16

.33 366 2.05

.43 325 2.11

.87 218 1.92

Just goes to show, there is an optimal weight to get the most energy out of your gun. But then you have hop to consider, then wind, and all sorts of other things. Not much use I know, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've found that SGMs are quite stable in my M700. I've got a 6.03mm TB and the PAX Hop conversion and it is really quite good in terms of range and accuracy, i haven't measured this properly so there is no use in me giving you an estimate.

Recently however, i was running white 0.36 Straights, that extra weight does wonders to keep the flat trajectory, the M700 hop, even after conversion still isn't great imo, so you can get the SGMs arcing up a bit, after much fiddling about with the hop this is usually solved. So, i'd try getting your hands on some SGMs and some 0.36's and see which you prefer yourself.

• 1 month later...

After seeing the horrible inconsistencies with heavier BBs on the field and in my earlier tests, I started another project.... This time it'll be hand picking low(er) quality BBs with micrometer and re-testing them for accuracy. Not the most thorough test, but it's easy to do, and a good indication to diameter/weight consistency - or the lack of it.

The 1st candidate is the white Digicon/Straight .36 which would be an excellent weight without the annoyingly large number of flyers over 40 meters.

I sat down and singled out around 200 BBs. I wasn't a surprised when more than 50% turned out to be utter ######, with diameter variation up to 0.11 mm! :angry: For reference, SGM's have 0.02 mm variation, 6mm steel bearings <0.01mm.

Weather permitting I'll do some shooting on Sunday.

If anyone wants to join the test, micrometers are cheap. Pick your preferred BB. :)

The 1st candidate is the white Digicon/Straight .36 which would be an excellent weight without the annoyingly large number of flyers over 40 meters.

I sat down and singled out around 200 BBs. I wasn't a surprised when more than 50% turned out to be utter ######, with diameter variation up to 0.11 mm! :angry: For reference, SGM's have 0.02 mm variation, 6mm steel bearings <0.01mm.

gah, i use these! just laylaxed my L96, and can not get it shooting consistently. ive been tearing my hair out looking for the problem (on my 3rd hop rubber brand!), and this could be it...

it will chuck them over 80 metres, but not always on target.

thanks for the info, looks like ive got some long nights ahead grading them, i recently bought 5000 :rolleyes:

Straight 0,43g 5,84mm ... 5,96mm = 0,12mm - Biggest difference in one BB 0,08 <---- ######!

Maruzen SGM 5,90 ... 5,94 = 0,04mm - Biggest difference in one BB 0,01

KSC Perfect 0,30g 5,85 ... 5,92 - Biggest difference in one BB 0,06, some BBs only 0,02

G&G bio 0,28g 5,91 ... 5,93 - Biggest difference in one BB <0,01

My choice is G&G. Earlier in the summer I shot G&G bio 0,28g vs SGM and G&G performed slightly better. These measurements are in the same line. SGMs weigh only 0,27g when G&G weighs 0,31g. In addition G&Gs are biodegradeable and a lot cheaper.

I eagerly wait for Mad Bull 0,43g.

Well, hand picked or not, cr*p is still ######.

I tested the selected .36s ingame today (around fifty shots). It was slightly better than usual, but still below acceptable level. Except for some nice very long range kills, these BBs anything, but Straight. Condolences to those who have to use this POS. :)

When I switched to SGMs, everything went back to normal.

Archived