Got my MK23

0nslaught

Hey all,

I just got my Mk23 from UNco. upon opening the package, i was fairly disappointed.

So i see the gun, it looks great. the putty was easy to remove, boy this gun looks awesome. I noticed this gun is fairly heavy too. So i pull the slide back, and i noticed, "boy this recoil spring is really weak." so i pressed down on the slide release and it goes back very sluggish. It was hardly fast at all, it was very, very sluggish. sounded very poor too. but then, i remembered i also ordered a recoil spring, hammer spring, and a reinforced sear pin. So far it seems good, feels like the one i ordered. the heavy weight version. the frame and slide look absolutely amazing, very nice feel to them. Not the cheap shiny plastic, has a very nice heavy black look to it.

I also noticed that UNco turned the box inside out. So i turned it to the way it is supposed to be, and i noticed the box is green and OD. it says "MK23 socom pistol", written in huge lettering. this was the most disappointing. The version i ordered was the KSC MK23 Heavy Weight Hard Kick 05 version. I have seen many pictures of this version, and the box it comes with is white, and has a bunch of pictures of the mk23 and people using it. So im thinking that UNco sent the wrong version and i got the KSC Mk23 Heavy weight 05 Version.

I asked a few members on these boards before i bought it, asking if they fixed the sluggish blowback on the hardkick version. they said yes, and the recoil spring was good and no sluggishness. I have no gun to test my gun out yet but, by cocking it back and pressing the slide release, it is horrible.

So i decided to take out the guarder recoil spring out of the little bag and install it. I took apart the slide, took out the recoil guide. I looked at it going, wtf. how do i take out the stock spring? there was no way to take it out. there were two rings that were blocking from pulling it out. ugh!

another thing, when i pulled the trigger and look at the hammer, after i fully pull it, the hammer springs back and starts bobbing. You know how usually when you pull the trigger, the hammer just goes back to uncocked position, springs fast and stays put? well when i pull my trigger, the hammer slowly goes back to uncocked position, and after it does, it bounces around. the trigger pull feels very weak and feels like it can break very easily.

I also noticed the magazine is quite light for its size, not a complaint but thats weird..

So i have a few questions.

1. How do you remove the stock recoil spring from the recoil spring guide? I need to install my guarder spring.

2. Is the KSC MK23 Heavy Weight Hard kick 05 version supposed to come in a green/OD box?

3. is the hammer supposed to bounce around after you pull the trigger?

Here are some pictures i took :

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

Most sound like standard 05 MK23 (actually all Mk23) attributes. Welcome to the world of stock Mk23, as it is NOT impressive. After upgraded it is a nice pistol.

Yes, The 05 comes in the OD box.

There is a C-Clip on the head of the spring guide, and FYI I used a Guarder SV5 inch recoil spring on my Mk23 as the Guarder Mk23 set supplies you with the pre 05 type guide rod spring. It still woill work but the large diamter of the spring allows it to wobble alot while compressing.

Yes, The 05 comes in the OD box.

There is a C-Clip on the head of the spring guide, and FYI I used a Guarder SV5 inch recoil spring on my Mk23 as the Guarder Mk23 set supplies you with the pre 05 type guide rod springs.

i see, the 05 comes in the OD/green box but. Does the Hardkick version? I thought the hard kick version came in the white box with pictures. the hardkick 05 hw is the version i ordered.

hum, about the guarder spring. i saw that little c clip your talking about. How do i take it off?

And ya, i noticed that the guarder recoil spring was much fatter and wider than the stock spring. Does it still fit? i Pmed a member on this forum and said that hes using it and says its fine.

The white box is the pre 05's. All new 05 HW,ABS,Commercial, all come in the OD box. The only thing is there will be a HW marking on the right side of the box.

Regarding the poor "sound" the Guarder Hammer spring on the other hand, is GREAT and the Pt.66 included in the set is absolutely required. I prefer the guarder hammer spring over all the other brands I've tried (SD, KM)

The white box is the pre 05's. All new 05 HW,ABS,Commercial, all come in the OD box. The only thing is there will be a HW marking on the right side of the box.

thanks for that but, im asking if the "hard kick" versions come in the OD box. Because i heard from 2 members with the same gun i ordered, said that the sluggish recoil problem is fixed.

The 05's are all "HARD KICK" In late 90's there was a NON-Hard-Kick version then adopted the name Hard Kick from the second version all the way to the current 05 models. Trust me I had every version til the 05 version and NONE of them had an impressive stock recoil spring as the primary problem with the cyclic speed on Mk23 is NOT the blow "back" but the speed of the slide returning to battery.

The 05's are all "HARD KICK" In late 90's there was a NON-Hard-Kick version then adopted the name Hard Kick from the second version all the way to the current 05 models. Trust me I had every version til the 05 version and NONE of them had an impressive stock recoil spring as the primary problem with the cyclic speed on Mk23 is NOT the blow "back" but the speed of the slide returning to battery.

Ah, i see. Thanks for all your help. much appreciated. I would give you a reppie but, it looks like arnies is on the fritz and i cant see the rep meter thing.

But about the recoil spring, Will the guarder recoil spring fit on it thought? even though it is fatter?

and how do you remove the C pin thing?

Ah, i see. Thanks for all your help. much appreciated. I would give you a reppie but, it looks like arnies is on the fritz and i cant see the rep meter thing.

But about the recoil spring, Will the guarder recoil spring fit on it thought? even though it is fatter?

and how do you remove the C pin thing?

Yes it'll fit fine, you might need a spacer to stop it going back to far though

I just pushed the circlip off a bit with a screwdriver then pulled if off with some pliers

Yes it'll fit fine, you might need a spacer to stop it going back to far though

I just pushed the circlip off a bit with a screwdriver then pulled if off with some pliers

ah i see.

Well, boy do i feel like an idiot :( i thought the white box was the newer one :P

kudos and thank you to everyone!

i would give reps but...it seems to have disappeared...hum

thanks alot for that thread tommy.

Also, i have a quick question here:

When i was taking apart the Mk23, when i took out the disassembly lever, this little piece of metal just fell out:

DSC00951.jpg

I dont know where it came from, but im geussing it sat on the frame like this:

DSC00956.jpg

It seems like it doesnt do anything so i just left it like that:

DSC00958.jpg

does anyone know what that part does? or what its for?

EDIT*

Tommy i read that thread, pretty confusing. I am wondering if that person has the same version as i do. He doesnt have the same problems as i have, well most of my questions are answered anyways. Your guide is pretty long, and i wouldnt like to go through all that. Plus im not that kind of a guy lol. maybe i forgot to mention or you didnt read it but, i got the guarder enhanced recoil spring, reinforced sear pin, and enhanced hammer spring. Those are being installed soon, and i plan on buying a hi flow valve. what do you think of those upgrades in my gun?

Here's a pic:

Mk23sliderelease60.jpg

My personal opinion of the upgrades is that, as wih most things in life, your being taken for a ride when you could source/make a lot of parts yourself e.g. my main spring = free, Guarder spring set = $20.

However, and as you say, if you don't have the fortitude for getting stuck in then you have to take the non gratis method.

You should take note of my valve mod for the above reason.

Hey guys,

Alright so i just went outside to test shoot it. Seems pretty good i guess but i had a few problems. Before i went out, i got some green gas and filled my mag. I filled it for about 5 seconds. then i got the small bag of bb's and loaded up the magazine. This is where the first problem occurred, i used the bb loader that came with the gun, i filled up the brass rod to the very top with bb's and filled the magazine. When i tried to put the magazine into the gun, it wouldnt go all the way in. it would get stuck and would not completely go in. So i took out a few bb's and it went in.

I tried to listen to the mag for any leaks, and i heard a small little "sssssss"

yep, i have a leak in my mag, But it isnt super loud like SSSSSS!! but its very tiny sound. i have to put my ear next to the top of the magazine and listen. i can hear a slight hiss. will i need to replace the valve or magazine? or is this just a minor leak and i can ignore it.

So i went outside, and started shooting away. I noticed the blowback was quite nice. When i am just cocking the gun with the magazine inside, and just playing around with it, the slide goes back very very slowly. but when i shot it with gas in the mag, the blowback was very nice and strong.

I was shooting this at night so i cant tell how far it goes, im going to test the range and things later.

While i was shooting, i noticed that the recoil was not consistent. i was shooting it, and the recoil from the slide was pretty soft, then the next shot is a very hard kick. the next two shots are soft and not that hard, than the next shot is very hard and snappy. It was weird, i was able to feel it in my arms. it would be hard recoil, then soft, hard, soft, etc.

other then that, i think it shot pretty well.

I was finished with my bb's but still had a bunch of gas left in my mag. So i held down the slide lock and just dry fired. Is that bad for the gun? this is the first time im doing it, but i shot about 6 shots of dry fire. i was shooting then all of a sudden the slide locks back. i thought, thats weird, im holding the slide lock, how did it lock back? so i look at the gun and the slide is stuck back too far. i had to push the slide in and it went back to normal position. Has this happened to anyone before? what causes this? is it bad for the gun?

I also felt the inconsistent recoil when i was dry firing as well.

If you heard the sound from the top of the mag and inconsistent recoil it probably would be a valve problem.

Next time it overtravels back, pull the hammer down instead of pushing it back. The Guarder kit alleviates the problem.

Archived