ICS MP5A4 Upgrade

Tree Eyes

Ok, this is probably gonna be a long one, so here it goes..... :P

Allright, I am soon to be ordering My first AEG, an ICS MP5A4 from www.redwolfairsoft.com, and I have many, many, many questions...... :huh:

Red Wolf only offers a 400 FPS upgrade, which I obviously don't want..... :(

So, I did some research, and intend to do the upgrading by myself to get exactly what I want......

Now, I see that if I install a Systema M100 / PDI 120% Spring, it will get me to exactly 327 FPS, the legal amount, but here's a small problem.....I want to use a TN 6.04mm Barrel for the MP5A5/A4/SD so I can have more accuracy due to the less BB bouncing up and down in the barrel, sounds peachy, but......

I also know that the Tighter Barrel will reduce the amount of airflow around the BB, and put more airflow behind it, which might (this is why I'm here) increase the FPS beyond the legal limit, about how much of an increase do you think this Barrel will add? I'm asking about this to prevent from going over the limit, not to exceed it........

Also, more spring talk, I noticed the RedWolf has a 130% Spring available, and in the 21st Century Spring Guide this product is not listed, so just out of wonder, what FPS does this approxiamately provide? I'm assuming 340 FPS beacuse the % differential between 120% and 150% is 30, and there's about a 30 FPS difference as well, so I'd bet that a 130% spring gives you about 340 FPS.....right? That would be 10 FPS for every 10%. This is just out of wonder because I'm ignorant to the spring, not asking for installation purposes........

Also, it says that Fast gears are optional, exactly how much of an increase in ROF will these give me? I know by R22 Master's Review that it has a ROF of about 950 rpm.......will the increase due to these fast gears and metal bushings / bearings be worth the purchase or even noticeable? I plan on using a Sanyo 8.4v 1700 mAh Battery, will that create any problems?

Another Question, when I order the Gun, will it come with a barrel cleaner? I'm not sure having never ordered an AEG myself, so I want to know if I need to purchase one. Also, do the gears and Bushings / Bearings come with oil and grease already on them? Or do I need to apply them myself when the gun arrives?

And are the stock bushings and bearings metal? I'm assuming they aren't......

*Runs to quickly check R22 Master's Review*

My Friend owns a Tokyo Marui MP5A4, and I know that they are basically

the same internally. Now, he is having a loading problem because of his hop up, and to fix this, people recommend that you purcahse a metal Hop Up unit, but I looked on Red Wolf and it seems that none are available excpet for the AUG, when they say a new hop up do they mean the Hard one? Because there were replaceable hop up rubbers, one was soft and the othre was hard, I just wanna make sure I don't have any loading problems.....

LOL, damn, I'm getting a little extensive aren't I? Well I feel it's good to ask alot of questions about the gun than to rather be ignorant to it's properties when it arrives!

Thanks A TON!!! Any answers are greatly appreciated

:D

Also, another question.........

When you click the details button on Red Wolf, it says the FPS is 280 FPS, but when you close it, the FPS next to the picture says 265 FPS. I know that ICS and CA both use stock spring that are about 110% of the original spring strength of the Tokyo Marui's, so this 280 - 290 FPS sounds about right, but then R22 Said it fired 312 - 315 FPS right out of the box......I'm getting a little confused here......

So by this I'm assuming that the Stock ICS MP5A4 has long, soft PDI-like springs that eventually lose power over time, am I right?

And thanks for the little help, nmcabacadas, that would mean that a 130% spring gives you somehwere in the 340 FPS - 350 FPS range.

Okay, with that minor thing out of the way, onto the important stuff!

Redwolf isn't very precise when talking about speed, gases, etc and airsoft guns aren't all identical. The same model can have variations and to have identical guns with 10 - 20 fps differences is possible.

PDI springs lose some energy after a while, are easier to install and cause less stress to the gearbox that Systema counterparts and your calculations are correct.

Allright, after some more intensive research...........

About getting a higher rate of fire, shoudl I just order a High Speed FTK for the MP5 and use a 120% PDI Spring?

I think that might be easier than anything else......lol

But I still need the answers to the questions as well...........

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna get the FTK, and R22Master said that he broke the tappet withing 500 shots............

So I'll just buy a reinforced one, and install that........I think he also said something about the safety cover as well, so I might need to get one of those as well.........

Hiya,

Don't have time to do a lengthy post here as I'm soooooo busy at the moment, but I'll give it a shot ;)

An M100 plus a tightbore (6.04mm) barrel might take the gun over 328fps. If it is only for urban use, I'd recommend keeping the spring stock for the time being, as it does produce a good level of power. I suspect Redwolf have labelled all the AEGs as sub-300fps as that is what all Marui AEGs shoot at new. ICS and CA shoot a little higher stock. a Systema 1J spring and tightbore might be more what you are looking for if you really must upgrade though.

The tappet plate and HOP-UP rubber are definitely worth replacing. I actually found a greater FPS improvement was achieved by upgrading the HOP-UP rubber than upgrading the spring (more efficient HOP = less HOP needs to be added = less resistance to the BB = higher FPS). A new tappet plate and HOP rubber piece are likely to cost you around $20-ish.

The Mechbox has nylon bushings as standard.

Fast gears will give you an overall higher ROF on full-auto, but your Semi-Auto will suffer and full-auto will take a while to wind up to speed. This is because the gear ratio is being reduced far less than standard gears, so more torque is required to pull back the mainspring. This will be even more noticable if you upgrade the main-spring too. Getting a VERY high capacity (mAh) battery will help overcome this though (e.g. 8.4v 3,300mAh battery pack).

Hope that helps. Any other questions, please ask (and it might be a good idea to PM me again so I notice ;) )

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add to this thread with my experience a few weeks back.

I chrono'd my stock ICS MP5-SD2 at Fireball the other week, and was somewhat shocked when he said that it came out at 330fps using .2g BBs.

That can't be right, surely?

Just thought I'd add to this thread with my experience a few weeks back.

I chrono'd my stock ICS MP5-SD2 at Fireball the other week, and was somewhat shocked when he said that it came out at 330fps using .2g BBs.

That can't be right, surely?

i too was at fireball and had my AA mp5a4 (basically an ICS one) havent done anything to it, and it was coming out at 315fps so it sounds about right

Archived