Precision Barrels

kdouglas

Hey guys,

I remember seeing a thread somewhere with a poll on the different makes of precision barrel, but just spent about 20 mins looking for it and cant find it...

Basically Im looking at getting a precision barrel for my p90

either a prometheus 6.03 barrel or a classic army 6.04, prices from rsov.com are

£21.99 for the prometheus vs £6.99 for the classic army

given the £15 difference in price, im happy enough to use a 6.04 over a 6.03, i dont think that 0.01mm is worth the extra. But are the classic army barrels any use?

I should be able to do some kind of comparison of CA vs Prometheus tightbores soon; got a 363mm tightbore made by promy coming for my M4, and a 363mm CA Tightbore coming for a mates SL8 (We're stopping the barrel just after the foregrip, carbine style).

Same length, and although they'll be in different guns, I'm sure we can sort out some accuracy tests at the next skirmish :)

I should be able to do some kind of comparison of CA vs Prometheus tightbores soon; got a 363mm tightbore made by promy coming for my M4, and a 363mm CA Tightbore coming for a mates SL8 (We're stopping the barrel just after the foregrip, carbine style).

Same length, and although they'll be in different guns, I'm sure we can sort out some accuracy tests at the next skirmish :)

cool, would be nice to see a review of them side by side (ish)

going to be ordering this one tonight though

Well, I'm not making any promises, as I don't know if my mates tightbroe will arrive in time (separate order...) - I'm just hoping mine will be here in time for it to be fitted for next sunday! ^_^

• 9 months later...

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!... ahem!!... sorry, I heard recently that there have been instances where a prometheus barrel has actually DECREASED fps up to 40! due to it being a TOO tight... Any confirmations on this? I too am looking between the prometheus barrel and classic army version, though... it's for a CA36K.

It would be nice to know which bb`s were used in this case where the fps dropped that drastic.

Blaster, goldfire, AIM, extreme.

Happened in several guns I know, installed by different people.

Greatest drop I've known of is approx 50fps

I've installed a prometheus barrel before and it decrease my fps by about 10 to 15 fps. But returned to normal after I clean it. I was hoping the decrease diameter of the barrel means decrease air flow between the wall of the inner barrel and the BB, therefore increase the fps a little.

That's what I thought too, but the friendly employees at Airsoft Extreme Santa Clara told me that the Prometheus barrel was a GREAT barrel for certain platforms, and that the SYSTEMA barrel sucks #%& because it's brass. He recommended the Classic Army one, because it's stainless steel and it still is 6.04mm tight bored. So basically I was wondering if anyone knew how the Prom barrel works for the CA36K? I'm I don't hear anything, I'm going to go with CA.

I really have no idea, I'm new to the upgrade scene. The only thing i can think of is if you get sand or dust or something in your barrel and try to shoot? I don't know, I just feel I can trust steel better.

prometheus FTW. they put alot of effort into theirs and the quality reflects that

Delta.One.Three: I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying brass is bad. In no way is a plastic bb traveling sub 500fps going to scratch it. Are there any particular reasons as to why brass is so bad?

I don't really like brass barrels simply because they're fairly soft and they tend to take cosmetic damage on the outside whenever you work on your gun.

TBH, I suspect the reason a lot of people avoid them is because your original barrel is brass and, if your upgraded barrel is brass, it'll kinda look like it's still the same.

Same as with a gearbox shell. If you could buy an upgraded gearbox shell that looked normal or one that was anodized (for $20 extra) I bet most people would pay extra for the anodized one.

Go figure. :)

He recommended the Classic Army one, because it's stainless steel and it still is 6.04mm tight bored.

Don't listen to that. AEX is pretty much owned by Spartan Imports (importers of all CA stuff). AEX therefore makes the highest margin off of CA products which is why they always push them over the much better stuff for your coin.

Prometheus barrels are amazing as stated before. I've never seen an FPS drop using one, except when the barrel length didn't match the cylinder volume. All my guns run Prometheus barrels.

Brass as a barrel material is fine, it's aluminum you need to be careful with.

Don't listen to that. AEX is pretty much owned by Spartan Imports (importers of all CA stuff). AEX therefore makes the highest margin off of CA products which is why they always push them over the much better stuff for your coin.

Prometheus barrels are amazing as stated before. I've never seen an FPS drop using one, except when the barrel length didn't match the cylinder volume. All my guns run Prometheus barrels.

Brass as a barrel material is fine, it's aluminum you need to be careful with.

ORLY? My Madbull one seems perfectly fine. I suppose If I were to take my M14's outerbarrel and bend it in half it would be a problem but the chances of doing that, accidentaly, is slim to none considering it's one of the beefiest metal outer barrels known to mankind :)

Havnet experienced any barrel scratching either on the outside of the barrel so I think I missed the boat when people were talking about bb's scratching the inner barrel, mine seems perfectly fine :D Guess the new V2's are much better than the v1's :D I get 4 inch groupings at about 120ft. Works for me! I can hit someones head at 120 ft if thats all they give me :D

I wasn't saying aluminum barrels equated to poor accuracy/precision, but they are more fragile in that's just the nature of aluminum. No matter what, that aluminum will dent easier than brass or steel. I agree the Madbull v2's are much less prone to inner scratching than the v1's, but only time will tell the rest.

Archived