The Crosman 1077 Platform Rifle

mcnuggets

**Okay everyone, I understand that talk of converting airguns to airsoft is a bit taboo on these boards. But I want to ensure that limiting the power is of the utmost importance. I don't want to injure anyone with this device. I just want a sane and rational discussion. Nothing that could potentially break any laws. I'm gearing this discussion more towards stateside users.**

With that being said here's a picture of the Crosman 1077:

CR1077W-shadow.jpg

The airgun fires 0.177 pellets at ~625 fps and costs about $100. It runs off of CO2 and has a 12 pellet rotary magazine. It is obviously within the power limits of other overpriced airsoft rifles for the cost of a Super 9 (even cheaper if you opt for the plastic stock version). It seems like a great platform to modify into an airsoft rifle. And there's even an online community dedicated to modifying the 1077:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/246966/

There's also some accessories that can convert it from a bulk air source (like a paintball tank):

http://www.cooper-t.com/airguns.html

Now it seems a few things need to be modified before 6mm BB's can be fired from it. The magazine, the barrel and maybe the breech. The valves would also need to be adjusted to downgrade the power (or a downgraded UK version can be bought that already does most of the work). I'd like to go over to Walmart and pick one of these up and tinker with it. It seems like it would open the doors to a more reasonably priced airsoft sniper platform that is more than capable of reaching the desired velocity without hundreds of dollars in upgrades. Hell my cheap Daisy pump pneumatic rifle gets more power than most airsoft sniper rifles for a fraction of the cost. Any thoughts on this?

Another potential advantage is the use of RAP4's airfin pellet. Here's a picture:

Air_fin_1000.jpg

They are like little nerf vortex footballs. It eliminates the need for a hop-up and extends the range compared to a normal BB with the same velocity. May even be more accurate because there's no spin imparted on the BB.

Neat!

Shouldn't be too hard to convert the gun to use airsoft ammunition. You could even take parts from cheap airsoft guns if you can't build them yourself. But it would be more fun to do everything from scratch...

Keep us updated!

From what I understand from others who have attempted such things, the problem is consitancy. In that I mean consistant -safe- fps.

The valves on these things are designed to take high pressure and realease it with little decernment. An airsoft safe version demands precision releases of pressure.

So unless you go down the route of an external regulated airsupply or additional regulators (no longer cheap) you will have problems.

Now if you can get it to operate on green gas and the vavles still function as intended you might .. just maybe .. on to something.

Otherwise go for your life ... just make sure this thing fires consistantly safe fps for a few thousand rounds before pointing it anyone!

10shots over a crono does not equal a successfull conversion.

Unfortunately, this is most likely VERY illegal to do, or stupidly dangerous.

Do you know how much a 0.177 pellet weighs? After a bit of googling I came up with about 7 grains as an average. That's about 0.45g per pellet, in metric terms.

Now, after doing some number crunching, I can say that the gun will put out around 8.1 Joules of energy at the muzzle, in stock form. Asuming you don't bugger up any seals in the gun and it stays firing at the same efficiency and energy, that means you can launch a 0.2g BB at...

*does the maths*

It'll fire a 0.2g BB at 285 fps, which equates to 935.04 Feet per second.

Let me say that again. if you convert this to fire airsoft ammunition and do it properly, it will fire at Nine HUNDRED and thirty five feet per second, with an energy of over 8 joules at the muzzle.

Can you say long range? Can you say no matrix-style dodging? Can you say you're gona put a goddamn hole in somebody?

There is a very, VERY good reason why converting airguns to fire airsoft is taboo; because the conversions are invariably designed to be fired at people, and designed to do so by people who have little basic grasp on physics or what will happen when it's shot at people.

Air rifles are designed primarily for target shooting or for pest control - IE, killing things (correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't know of many other legitimate uses for them). Airsoft is designed to be safe, and not do ANY harm to people or animals.

I could continue my rant, but I won't. Instead, I'll sum it up with the following phrase: It is a stupid, STUPID Idea, as it's VERY dangerous. If you want these sort of velocities, then buy a load of these air rifles and just shoot each other with them as they are. Saves you doing useless 'upgrades' to the guns and stops other people being hit by BB's going at almost a thousand feet per second.

Thread reported.

EDIT - I'm sorry. i just had to add this...

It is obviously within the power limits of other overpriced airsoft rifles

Do you honestly have ANY Idea what power limits are and what safe power limits are measured in? Seriously? Muzzle velocity has no relevance on the damage a projectile can do. It's the muzzle energy (Before you nitpick, I stated the muzzle velocity in this post so people have some kind of idea of the stupid, dangerous, and possibly lethal amounts of power this would chuck out). That's why the UK (and the forum specificaly) has a One Joule Rule - The only reason it's 328 fps is because that is the velocity a 0.2g projectile must have to have an energy of one Joule.

Even at one joule and below, teeth can get chipped. I've seen it happen less than two metres away from me. At two joules, you start getting BB's causing big bleeding holes and punching through clothing with ease. Seen the pic of the guy who got the ###### shot out of his face, often touted as to why you should wear full face rather than goggles? Unless my memory if going, that's at *TWO* Joules.

You're wanting to go over four times more powerful than the gun that wrecked that poor guys face, and you consider it to be a safe power level?

No offense intended, but... well, if I had the powers to do it, I'd at least suspend you for a few days for such idiocy and lack of prior thought. Taboo things are taboo for a reason, ESPECIALLY around here.

Archived