Wiley X CQC Goggles

As a quick comment, apologies for the quality of images within this review. I unfortunately possess one of the worst digital cameras in existence, but I hope that the review and its contents will still be of help to those interested in this product. Some day when i have what i want airsoft wise, then i will think about a decent one !

Being relatively new to the Airsoft scene, I, as with many new players, started out with the familiar Sansei mesh mask. Whilst this obviously has the distinct benefit of providing fog free vision, and good protection from any inbound excels, the decision to seek a more comfortable, and frankly better looking solution to eye protection finally led me to the intention of purchasing a pair of goggles. After looking at various different brands and designs on the market, I decided upon trying the Wiley X brand out.

Wiley X has a wide selection of eyewear available, and has an impressive user base, supplying their products worldwide to many military and law enforcement agencies for the last 17 years. Such wide use by those who depend on protective eyewear gives the impression that Wiley X products are top notch, and the people at Wiley X know what’s required for a successful and above all, safe product.

gallery_483_131_18826.jpg

As part of the HVP, or High Velocity Protection series, the CQC goggles are also part of the modular goggle series, sharing the stable with the SG1 and XL-1 models. The HVP tag means that the eyewear meets the newest ANSI Z87.1-2003 high velocity impact standards – basically these goggles will in theory withstand projectiles well beyond the forces found in airsoft.

The attraction to these goggles in particular came about for a number of reasons. Firstly from previous reading of reviews, and ultimately their price, the SG1’s seemed to be something I could live without .I also thought the design, with full enclosure of the eyes, a large field of view, and the ability to wear underneath a helmet as particular strong points. My mind was set; these were the ones to try. After a quick whip round the usual UK retailers, I decided upon buying from Airsoft Scotland. Being aware of the possibility for fogging, one of the largest potential disadvantages of using goggles, I also took the opportunity to order some Fog Tech anti fog solution just in case.

Time for a quick word on the CQC goggles, courtesy of Wiley X:

“ Whether you need protection for urban warfare, land warfare, sun, dust, wind or snow, this goggle has it all. The few ballistic goggle designs that are even on the market right now are large, uncomfortable, one dimensional and cumbersome. Their straps have to be worn over the top of a soldier's helmet and never give a good seal on an individuals face. When questioned all services stated they wanted a more streamlined goggle that was more comfortable and didn't sit so far away from the face. Traditional goggles often give the wearer tunnel vision. Our CQC goggle can be worn with its strap, under the helmet, which greatly improves fit and comfort. This also improves vision as the goggle is designed to sit very close to the face ” Wiley X

They certainly sounded the business. So lets take a closer look at the CQC goggles in detail.

FEATURES

A number of quite unique features are present on these CQC goggles. Here I will look at each one in turn.

Dual Function

Firstly, and perhaps one of the most notable features of these goggles is the ability to switch between goggle, and sunglass style format. This is done in a method that might be familiar to those who own certain forms of water sports eyewear. At either side of the temples are small notches, which allow a quick snap in action for the sunglass arms, or strap, depending on which you wish to use.

gallery_483_131_703.jpg

The transition from sunglasses to goggles is quite easy, simply press the notch in, and pull gently to detach the connector point from the temple of the frame. This can be quite fiddly at first, but I found by using the edge of the connector on the item you are not using (i.e. use the strap’s connectors if removing the sunglass arm, or vice versa) the whole process is quickly completed. This is a nice touch, allowing quick changes between both goggle or sunglass format, and also flexibility if headwear or personal preference calls for either format to be adopted over the other.

gallery_483_131_2501.jpg

CQC Goggles with attached temple shields.

Switching Lenses

The next feature is the ability to switch between lenses. Whilst nothing new, Guarder coming to mind as one of those hot in the area of interchangeable lens eyewear, it is still none the less a useful feature. Out of the box the CQC goggles are fitted with so called neutral slate lenses. The lenses are made of the usual ballistic polycarbonate used in most eyewear on the market. The run down on the lens structure:

“…each lens is 2.5mm thick and clear coated with our proprietary anti-fog solution giving the user perfect, unobstructed vision. Add our silicone, scratch resistant coating and you have the best optical quality, ballistic lenses available.” Wiley X

The lenses are reasonably simple to switch. Just in case the user is unsure, they have helpfully included instructions on a smart little card, which details the correct way to carry out a lens change.

At first it seems a little bit brutal, and the nice snap that signifies the lens popping out of the frame came as a little bit of a shock, but there is no need to worry. Both the lenses and the frame itself seem robust, and the flexibility of the frame, despite its strength, aids in smooth easy changes between the two supplied lenses.

Whilst on the subject of the lenses, it is also worth mentioning the other part of the lens design. As a one-piece construction, general field of view is excellent. The sheer size and design of the lenses, in a wrap around style, means that peripheral vision is very good, allowing awareness of movement from the very edges of view without the need to turn the head much, if at all in order to look.

gallery_483_131_7996.jpg

Side view of CQC Goggles, illustrating size and shape of lens

“Ultra Foam”

Wiley X is proud of the special foam, used in the design of the CQC Goggles. They claim that traditional foam or rubber materials used to pad eyewear against the users face can be both uncomfortable and also sometimes with poor in terms of longevity, with potential for degradation over time. They have therefore created their own “Ultra Foam” seal design to address this problem. The foam itself seems to be of a sort of rubber foam mixture, and its quite flexible. Attachment to the frame also seems to be quite secure, and with proper care should last indefinitely.

The design and use of the padding round the frame is itself quite unique. Instead of a continuous seal all the way round the edge of the goggles, the designers have instead used a broken line, with small gaps in between the padded areas. The entire edge of the frame is padded in this way, with only the bridge of the nose free of any form of padding.

gallery_483_131_27243.jpg

CQC Goggles detailing the use of Wiley X’s “Ultra Foam” seal design.

It is my assumption that the gaps are present to enable the passive of air between the inside area of the goggles, and the outside environment, with the goal of attempting to reduce risk of fogging. The final point to make on the lens design further reinforces this idea.

Ventilated Viewing

At the top edge of the lens, along the frame, are 6 semi circular holes, of approximately 3mm at the widest point. These are there in order to allow the flow of air into the goggles during movement, and may prove to be a valuable feature in the battle against fogging which is common in goggles such as this, where close proximity of the lens to the user’s face is present.

I think that whilst it may be of concern to some people that their eye protection has holes in it, I don’t think this will ever be a safety issue. The holes are not only too small for a bb to pass through, but are located in such a way that the frame would be more likely to intercept a bb & take contact, preventing entrance into the inside of the goggles. I would therefore be confident whilst wearing these in a skirmish, and not see this as a potential danger.

gallery_483_131_5028.jpg

CQC Goggles, with 6 ventilation holes visible along the top edge of the frame

Ok, I think that covers most of the features, now onto my views on the CQC goggles as a whole.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The CQC Goggles come in a nice box bearing the Wiley X logo. Once inside, you are presented with a smart soft bag, again bearing the logo of Wiley X. The bag itself has a plastic clip on it, which might be handy for attaching the goggles to your vest or other clothing whilst in the safe zone. The bag itself is fastened via a small piece of Velcro, which should keep the goggles securely inside.

Opening the bag and taking out its contents you are met with a series of 3 plastic bags. The largest contains the CQC goggles, fitted with the neutral slate lens, side shield pieces, and sunglass arms. The second bag contains the clear of lens. Both lenses bear a sticker stating 100% UV protection, which is always something better to have rather than not! The final small bag contains the elastic strap, neatly bundled up.

gallery_483_131_1260.jpg

Putting on the goggles as they come out of the box (Sunglass form) it is clear that they are nice and light, and the padding is adequate for a nice comfortable fit. The sunglasses wrap around giving good protection, but aren’t quite flush to the face on the very sides by the temples. This is not an issue though, as the added side protectors cover this area well when fitted negating the small gap present.

The neutral slate lenses are just right in terms of darkness, reducing glare and brightness, whilst not plunging the world into a state of pitch black. A quick change to goggle form, with clear lenses and the elastic strap gives a much closer fit. The flexibility of the frames under the tension of the elastic strap causes them to bend slightly, causing them to sit much closer to the face, and the head in general. The adjustable strap also means that the user can alter it to the tightness that suits them, which is a nice feature, instead of a one size fits attitude.

In terms of appearance, the goggles do look a little odd without the use of headwear, such as a boonie hat or helmet, as they are rather large in order to accommodate the huge lenses.

gallery_483_131_46398.jpg

Me modeling the CQC Goggles with elastic strap and additional side protectors.

In sunglass form the same is true, and some may find the look of something similar to a large fly a reason not to use them in this state. However as before, donning a boonie makes for a better (or at least less bug eyed!) look.

ISSUES

As I stated earlier, users of goggles will often have to battle the problem of fogging, the price paid for more low profile eyewear. At this time I have not had the opportunity to test these goggles out beyond the confines of my house. However, so far it seems that fogging will not be a major issue.

After wearing these for about half an hour, while sat writing this review, complete with balaclava and helmet, I took them off to notice that there was slight fogging to the lens. This may sadly mean that once again the issue of fogging has reared its ugly head, and destined another otherwise good set of eyewear to be ticked off on the list of failed solutions to the unfoggable goggle search.

UPDATED : 05/02/05

As I suspected the fogging experienced during light use was unfortunately not just a one off, and did in fact become much worse once I began playing, with the lens taking between about 1 and 5 minutes to fog completely. This amount of fogging did not seem to always occur, hence the fog times mentioned. It is possible that the vents within the lens, plus movement during play allowed a lengthened period of time before fogging in some instances.

I also got to see first hand the protection these goggles had to offer, taking quite a few shots to the lens during the days play from distances of around 20 and below. Inspection of the lens showed no damage, or in fact marks, which I guess is to be expected given the ANSI rating.

Anyway, making use of the Fog Tech purchased, the problem of fogging was not longer apparent, and as such the other good points of the CQC Goggles came through, and provided excellent eye protection for the days play.

Conclusion

These goggles encompass a comfortable design with the necessary features to provide excellent protection, without sacrificing either vision, sighting on weapons (In particular those mounted with low level optics, or low profile iron sights), or looks in any particular significance.

At their price, they are also a little cheaper than the popular Bolle X800T’s, which means that with the aid of some anti fog (if needs be, it wasnt always needed) there ability to handle skirmish conditions is very good, and they offer an alternative option to those looking for some goggles that provide comfort, clear vision and above all, safety.

Be sure to check back here soon for an update on bb protection & their in skirmish performance!

Thanks to Airsoft Scotland

Once again top notch, speedy service, all wrapped up in a “The Core” film poster, cheers guys, keep up the good work!

&

Wiley X

Cheers,

Shard :)

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind a pair of these myself.

Am I right in interpreting that they only need one application of FogTech to remain fog-free for ages, rather than needing a new application between every game, or something?

Also, I spoke to wasted_youf about buying his, and although they came out a little pricey and I decided to leave 'em, I gleaned some useful info from him (I'll post the lot up here if you want, for an alternate view of them). He also seemed to reckon fogging was an issue, so you're not alone there, anyway.

One more question, if you don't mind - how 'hot' are they to wear? I've never skirmish in goggles before, usually using a set of Guarder 2003 ver. glasses (very little fogging with them, too), and they allow such a good flow of air that my eyes never feel 'stuffy' while wearing them.

By the way, that's the best 'reader' review I've seen for some time - you should email it to Arnie and let him put it up in the reviews section (it's easily up to those standards :)).

Cheers!

Hi guys

Yeah to be honest, as Magsz said, the fogtech doesn't last forever, but between me and my mate who shared mine on his laylax satellite goggles, we found that it seemed to be good for perhaps 1 - 1 1/2 hrs play before it they needed a little wipe again. It also seemed a lot more effective if you gave just a light wipe once rather than rubbing it about loads. Either way for a few quid a day extra it does the job very well, even if you have to reapply.

For the adding of extra info, sounds good to me, anything useful in helping other people out in their choices is fine by mine :)

From wearing them for a whole day, in what were some of the most active games i have taken part in, they were really comfortable . I didn't ever feel like i needed to rip them off because i was too warm, and that was whilst wearing what i am in the last piccy, which i think would be the ultimate test in whether they make you feel hot & bothered . The lens vent holes do seem to help keep things cool, but obviously more so when running than sat still.

Hope that helps !

P.S. Cheers for the feedback too HaVoC_MaN, i wasn't sure how to go about writing it at first, so i just tried to cover everything i thought would be useful in as much detail as possible ^_^

Alright then, relevant bits taken from PMs between me and wasted_youf...

They're admittedly not the best for fogging. I used anti fog spray on them, but an application of a tactical anti fog treatment should cure it, I just never got round to doing it. I DID remove the optional temple protectors and that helps some.

They are very comfortable and do look the s**t.

Real gucci kit.

-------------------------------------

The seal is variable. You can wear them as shades or goggles. Shades means putting the arms on, and googles means putting on the band instead. Either way the seal fits fine and as I said, they're nice and comfy.

There are holes in the top of the lense above each eye. The seal is made of a stiff sponge which has holes cut into it.

They stay on your head pretty well. The arms are "wrap around style" and almost meet at the back, so you'll have a job shaking them off. Band wise, I dont know if they'll fit over a Protec, but I'd imagine so. They're designed to fit over PASGT-style lids after all.

Nothing revelatory, but it may halp some people I guess :)

Edited by HaVoC_MaN

get the bottle that comes with the two applicator pads as it lasts longer then the wipes.

I also have one of these and have come to the very same conclusions, very nice review Shard (+1)

Edited by IronWolf