TM AK74

otherrandomhero

I found this picture on another forum and it appears that TM is making an AK74MN (the MN standing for modern, though this may just be a pre-production label). It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the ICS/CA/G+G/CYMA maybe(?) versions of it, which have already established their place in the market.

gggg.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No reason to believe it won't be. All the more recent TM AEGs have been full metal.

I thought the Type 89 was metal because it was a gun for training purposes, and that FM guns in Japan are illegal unless their painted gold or something. I could be wrong, though.

the AK74 in that picture seems to feature a side folding stock like the real deal, which would blow the ICS AK out of the water already, and TM quality? sign me up.

Well, ICS is making a folding stock AK74M. It should be released fairly soon since it popped up around the same time as their new M4s. I highly doubt it will be full metal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it used some of the same parts as the AK47. Their recent AEGs haven't been full metal, a recent AEG of theirs was. The SOC16 wasn't, and I can't even remember the last new AEG they made before that.

I've owned an ICS AK, and I will never own one again. ICS's "full metal" building process involved wrapping a paper thin sheet of metal around a plastic receiver. Made me feel cheated as a consumer. GB was whiny, wiring stripped real fast, and range sucked compared to a TM AK.

Are you still talking about TM? the M14 SOCOM is as "full metal" as it gets. You just can't beat TM quality.

I thought the Type 89 was metal because it was a gun for training purposes, and that FM guns in Japan are illegal unless their painted gold or something. I could be wrong, though.

Full metal guns in Japan are not illegal. Look at TM's AUGs and M14s. All full metal, and made before the Type 89, and neither used as a training tool.

The SOC16 wasn't, and I can't even remember the last new AEG they made before that.

how was that not full metal then?

the only thing i can think off would be the heatshield (but i dont know if the real one like the soc16 is metal or polymer/whatever based), but otherwise everything that is "metal" on the real one is metal on the TM one...

the T89 was full metal aswell.

so yes, its not all that unrealistic to assume that TM might go full metal on this one aswell, to counter some of the chinese invasion of late...

the receiver on that AK74 looks nothing like their 47 (as it should be offcourse) so if they had to make a new one, why not make a metal one at that.

the whole metal body is illegal in Japan thing is a load of bs.

Infact, Im fairly sure Far east has a few metal bodies on his M4/M16 guns...

edit.

Look at TM's AUGs and M14s. All full metal, and made before the Type 89, and neither used as a training tool.

i wouldnt really mention the AUG in that line lol, because in that case the P90 and G36c are full metal guns aswell, while they are essentially replicating "plastic" firearms :) and thats just abit silly imho

Ok lets do some myth busting here:

Full metal assualt rifles are not illegal here in Japan.

Tokyo Marui has made a type 89 training weapon used by the JSDF but this version is not available to the general public.

Full metal hand guns are illegal, but it is more a grey area in the law, if you are using it on a skirmish field and it is within the 0.98 joule regulation then your probably only going to get a warning and told to fix it, if you are over the limit then you can actualy be prosecuted to the full extent of the Gun and Swords act.

The following guns made by TM that are metal are as follows:

Styre AUG

M14

M14 Socom

Type 89

Having met the upper management of Tokyo Marui they are seriously considering making all models in future full metal bodies.

therefore one could speculate that if Tokyo Marui do make an AK74 then it will have a metal body.

how was that not full metal then?

the only thing i can think off would be the heatshield (but i dont know if the real one like the soc16 is metal or polymer/whatever based), but otherwise everything that is "metal" on the real one is metal on the TM one...

The heat shield on the M14 is made of polymer/fiberglass. I know. I own a real one. It's also no where near as sturdy (that is, it feels flimsy, but the real thing may/may not hold up better than the plastic TM one) as that of the TM M14 SOCOM.

lol, cool you sourced that off my forums, anyway (srry if it has already been said) the ak74 probly wont be full metal because TMs are japanese guns and they can only be something like 50% metal (correct me if im wrong about the percentage) that being said, the type 89 is just under 50% metal. the 74 is gonna be cool, and i think I may have to buy one.

TM AK-74 would be really nice, seeing as how it looks to have all the proper stuff. I'm interested in dimensions, though, and if they finally got rid of that archaic disassembly system. The VFC and G&G have a far better system.

This is promising, though, because we could also have a source of cheap stamped AK receivers - wonder if it'll be backwards-compatible?

BTW, "AK-74M" means that it's the modernized version, and the -N suffix means that it'll have a siderail mount. Which means it's probably going to have a metal lower - or at least a bolt-on mount on the side, but I'd bank on a metal receiver.

If this is properly serialed and everything I'll sh*t a brick.

Archived