6.01 in an AEG

I'm currently considering putting a 6.01 tightbore in my M4, as I only use high quality ammo, and semi-auto, could anyone who has tried this please share the info.

ps. I'm not interested in any "OMG 6.03 will jam ur gun!!!!!!!!!!! if u put 6.01 it'll violate Einsteinz theory of special relativity and cause 26th dimensional space-time to rupture and swallow the Earth" or any such rubbish, I use a 6.03 and it has NEVER jammed with even low quality ammo.

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure the difference between the previous barrels wasn't due to the .03 being higher quality? If you went from say a systema to a prometheus, I think you'd notice a difference, even if the bore was the same (I know they're not).

Do you have another gun you could put he .03 into though? If so, then go for it.

I would have thought that going from TN to Madbull would be a downgrade personally, but I suppose your results suggest otherwise.

Putting in a .01 won't do any harm, and it will make some improvement, so it's just up to you to decide whether the improvement is worth the cost. Have you got a standard hop unit still?

Cheers,

Graham

PDI produces the finest barrels ever - they're expensive though. Don't worry about the inner barrel wobbling though - wrap tape around it. You should actually do so anyway so there's some stability and so that you actually get the accuracy boost that you're looking for.

I put a 6.03 in my MP7 soon after I bought it and got a 25fps jump and increased accuracy, as expected.

Then I recently tried a 6.01, and got no more of either :rolleyes:

I may try some different BBs before I go back to the 6.03.

6.08 is fine for most ranges and can be used with many different common BBs. The tighter the bore the better the BB you need to use to see the accuracy effects.

The reason why you got an FPS increase when you went from .08 to an .03 is (in a nutshell, with getting to crazy) that you decreased the amount of space between the barrel and the bb by a considerable amount (.05,) where as when you jumped to an .01 from an .03 you only decreased the margin by .02 (and also made it possible that more contact between the barrel and the bb could cause friction and negate the power increasing effects of the tighter bore.)

To see if the .01 is really any better, try high quality BBs and coat your barrel (only the barrel not the hop) with a light amount of silicone oil on the inside, this should reduce friction.

Although I do fail to see the point of an .01 in an AEG, in a bolt or gas action sniper where your cycle rate is slower and your need to kill in as few shots as possible is higher switching to an .01 seems like a good idea. To me an .01 in an AEG is waste of money for the most part, esspecialy if already have .03, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.

I'm currently considering putting a 6.01 tightbore in my M4, as I only use high quality ammo, and semi-auto, could anyone who has tried this please share the info.

ps. I'm not interested in any "OMG 6.03 will jam ur gun!!!!!!!!!!! if u put 6.01 it'll violate Einsteinz theory of special relativity and cause 26th dimensional space-time to rupture and swallow the Earth" or any such rubbish, I use a 6.03 and it has NEVER jammed with even low quality ammo.

Thanks

What kind of low quality ammo are we talking?

I would like to share my experience with this tightbores. I have been using 6.02mm custom tightbores in 407 and 455 lenght and there is a big difference compared to 6.03 and 6.04mm. On 6.02mm accuracy increased, range and tighter grouping. I have outranged mid lenght Aeg's with my M4 with 6.02mm 407mm tight bore and my SPR with 6.02mm 455mm has the range of a M16 Madbull 6.03mm.

I also acquired a 6.01mm 515mm for my BA sniper and velocity inreased about 30-45fps. I still need to field it yet to see how it performs.

'thebauer' on this forum installed a PDI 6.01 into his VSR (i know the thread said AEGs but in term of the effects of tightbores spring and AEGs are pretty much the same) and said that if anything he noticed a reduction in accuracy from the 6.03 he had before. in my opinion, the change from a stock barrel to a tightbore is well worth it, but beyond 6.03 i would guess that the improvement in range and accuracy would be negligible, and the jamming risk increased.

SS

Two small things, I wasn't talking about the difference between 08 and 03 being significant, I was refering to the difference between 04 and 03, hence why I expect a 01 to be if anything a larger improvement.

Also, it has been fairly reliably proven (somewhere on this forum, with good testing methods) that anything longer than a 250mm barrel (IIRC) has no benefit on accuracy, as by the time the BB has travelled 250mm, it's as stable as it's going to get, and any extra length is irrelevant.

My concern is, will it fire accurately enough to prevent the BB from hitting the end of the outer barrel (the only 01 I can find is 60mm too short) although I use tape to stabilise it anyway, is this likely to result in 1/2 of my shots shattering off the flashhider, or flying in stupid directions?

i'm using .29's maruzen bbs with a DBcustom 407mm 6.01mm inner in my custom G&P M4A1 SOPMOD. I also use a systema chamber, firefly bucking, and FF strike chamber.

the range and accuracy is amazing.

My concern is, will it fire accurately enough to prevent the BB from hitting the end of the outer barrel (the only 01 I can find is 60mm too short) although I use tape to stabilise it anyway, is this likely to result in 1/2 of my shots shattering off the flashhider, or flying in stupid directions?

Easily calculated.

Divide the number of feet between the end of the TB and the outer barrel by the FPS - that should give you the time it takes for the BB to get from the TB to the end of the outer barrel. Then take the inner diameter of the outer barrel (in mm), subtract 6, divide by two, and convert to feet. That should tell you how much the BB would have to move sideways to hit the outer barrel. Take this last figure and divide by the time it takes for the BB to pass the inner barrel to find the maximum speed (in fps) that you can move the end of the barrel sideways. (Simplifying: difference in radii / (difference in length / FPS) = maximum speed of the end of the barrel)

Example:

300 FPS for the BB

0.5 feet between the ends of the barrels

0.01 feet as the difference in radii

0.001666... seconds for the BB to pass the outer barrel

0.01/0.001666... = 6 FPS for you to swing the end of the barrel

6 FPS isn't too fast, but understand that you shouldn't be moving the muzzle more than 0.5-1 FPS anyway while firing.

The reason why you got an FPS increase when you went from .08 to an .03 is (in a nutshell, with getting to crazy) that you decreased the amount of space between the barrel and the bb by a considerable amount (.05,) where as when you jumped to an .01 from an .03 you only decreased the margin by .02 (and also made it possible that more contact between the barrel and the bb could cause friction and negate the power increasing effects of the tighter bore.)...

I realise that, in fact I was expecting it. The thing is, if you need to find a BB that 'works' well in the tighter bore, it's probably that that BB is slightly smaller in diameter than the ones that don't 'work'. So in effect, you're not really gaining anything. There will be an optimum clearance, between BB and barrel, which means there'll be nothing to gain by going tighter.

To see if the .01 is really any better, try high quality BBs and coat your barrel (only the barrel not the hop) with a light amount of silicone oil on the inside, this should reduce friction.

I think any lubricant will slow the BB, however 'slippery' it is, simply by building up in front of it. A well polished and dry barrel is best in my opinion. Plastic-on-metal movement shouldn't need any lubricating, mechanically speaking, as long as both parts are highly polished, as is the case here.

Most BBs are 5.97 mm in diameter. Some are larger, some are smaller, but the good ones vary much less than barrel diameters do. With a tightbore, you should expect that the BB won't roll straight through the barrel as soon as you tip the barrel. Test it and see.

Lubrication works by using liquid to fill in the tiny pockets in a surface. Correct, any extra lube would be swept away. But the small pockets would still be filled, leaving a smoother surface.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, no.

Lubrication 'works' by keeping two surfaces apart as much as possible, preventing the physical contact (friction) which opposes the movement. Any lube, by it's very nature, has some viscosity, which in the case of a lightweight projectile, at relatively low velocities, is going to slow things down.

Try letting a smooth piece of plastic slide down a piece of highly polished metal on an incline, with no lube, then with your choice of lube, and see which is faster ;) .

Archived