Biodegradable BB's

Davos

Hi all this is my first post. I have searched for this topic but I could not see a web site to buy them from . My site has gone green so I need to get hold of some good Bio BB's. My site sells them at £8 for 2000 BB's. But is there a site I can buy them cheaper. I am looking to buy in bulk.

Erm, there's actually no such thing as a completely bio-degradable BB, even if all these shops and manufacturers say so. The BB may corrode to a certain level over a certain time, but they certainly are not completely bio-degradable. It's plastic after all.

creaping fear yet again your sputing off without any knolage opf the facts. there are total bios, i know ive used them for years. excel "bios" are not totaly biodegradable that is all

biovals are but are in short supply. ask the guys at MIA (ironfoot shop) in bude as they use them and sell them there

Ok then well I would like some good ones not rubish. And would like a web site to buy them in bulk from for a good price. And you peaple are more friendly that a heard.  :)

Contact Graham McLellan at Ironfoot about the Super King Bios he sells & uses at their site. I've ordered a few master cartons off him for use by my team as the site we use only allows biodegradables & they are superb. They are completely biodegradeable (although It takes a while), come in .20 & .25 in white, black & green and although they are expensive when compared to ordinary bbs, buying in bulk will mean you get a good deal.

The Super King come in bags of 2500 & you can get better than the website price is you speak to them and buy in bulk (the last time I checked a Master Carton was around 20 bags). However I don't think you'll be able to get bios as cheap as you want them unless you are prepared to go down this road. At least Ive never seen bios cheaper than £8 a bag.

EDIT - Grammar!

Quite probably. Unfortunately Bios aren't cheap & rather hard to get hold of.

Like I said, a master carton would be your best bet to getting a low price & if you order enough with Ironfoot you'll be able to get under £8, it just whether you prepared to pay for a bulk order.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps someone on here may be more useful.

creaping fear yet again your sputing off without any knolage opf the facts. there are total bios, i know ive used them for years. excel "bios" are not totaly biodegradable that is all

biovals are but are in short supply. ask the guys at MIA (ironfoot shop) in bude as they use them and sell them there

Prove it.

You link me to a website that contains UNBIASED and SCIENTIFIC clarification that they do. The ball is now back in YOUR court.

I too would like to see proof of the claim that BB's are biodegradable. Is there a manufacturer out there that sells these things and specifies a time for complete decomposition? Not AFAIK.

I rather suspect that Time Team 2507 will be digging in a field only to find a compressed layer of 6mm white plastic balls :)

D

Edit: This is worth a look :)

I too would like to see proof of the claim that BB's are biodegradable. Is there a manufacturer out there that sells these things and specifies a time for complete decomposition?

Super King Bio apparently take around 9 months to degrade although it depends on lots of factors (wind, light rain, soil content etc) although I haven’t actually spent an age staring at some bbs in a muddy field to check its accuracy. I know the definition of the term 'biodegradable' varies from place to place & I suggest you talk to a site manager who uses them (you can't beat first hand knowledge) to find out what they are made of or if they have noticed whether they work or not.

EDIT - I've just had a thought, Super King are made in Italy and therefore surely they fall under EU trades descriptions law? But I think I may conduct an a little practical research into this for my own satisfaction.

There has been research and much, much discussion on the contents and break-down of various kinds of BBs.

Someone even put them in the mass spectrometer in his lab, if I remember correctly.

From memory, the Excel ones are just plastic around a barium centre, which allows them to be sold as "bio" because they are "non-harmful to the environment" or something. But since Polystyrene has no known half-life, they'll be around forever and then some.

Bioval BBs are made from some kind of compressed plant resin, I think so they break down in soil to produce harmless chemicals (might even help plants to grow, maybe!) but it takes several months and they are expensive to make.

I don't know about other makes.

This post entirely from my memory of another thread long ago. A search might turn it up, but I wouldn't know where to start. Nothing contained herein should be taken as fact - if you KNOW better then fine. If you don't KNOW and just THINK, then also fine, but don't claim to have facts if you don't have facts.

On topic, the best deal you're likely to get is if you go directly to the manufacturers and buy a LOT. Of course, you've got to have the money up front and somewhere to store a 10 year supply, but you'll get a very good deal, I'm sure...

Thanks all, hope it helps.

These bb's are completely biodegradable. I can't give you link, because the stuff is in paper form.

Vortex Biobiodegradable, Super King and ASG EcoBB (it seems these are made from pea and sugar).

What worries me most about these starch or otherwise based 'bio' BB's is their reliability particularly with tightbores.

Also, what happens if they get damp and you leave them for a while?

D

Super King and EcoBB are almost as good as Marui bb's so they should work without problems.

It depends how long is while. You can skirmish with them even if it rains, but they should be kept dry, because dampness is one of the things that get them to degrade.

• 1 month later...

We sell bios and have experience of over 3 yrs of use, despite what carrion says we have never had problems with the makes we use of swelling due to damp, most types need exposure to soil microbes not just damp. A bio BB must perform as well as its non bio counterpart, its no good it just being Bio.

If you look on our new site http://www.biodegradable-bb.com we have done our best to get as much true information as possible and hope to add and upgrade the data.

Please do not confuse Degradable with Biodegradable, a degradable bb is not the same.

It is plastic with an additive which lets it break down into microscopic bits of plastic but its still plastic and a pollutant and remains for so long as to be virtually permanent.

A Biodegradable BB will break down into natural materials and recycle.

Biotech's are now available again ( when the bloody boat gets here ) they are certified as compostable and are fully Bio.

Most Bio BBs are derived from Corn Starch plastic resin with stabilizers and other additives, this makes them expensive. If you see cheap bios its because they are not.

As a Soils Association farmer my only current problem with this type of bio is that most of the corn starch comes from the US and may well be GMO derived, but we are still checking this out.

We do give discount for bulk purchases, and are currently looking to source our own Ironfoot brand to run along current other best makes we stock, assuming the samples come up to our own exacting standards.

Archived