Sten MkII finished at last!

Hewligan

After months of work I finally have a functioning airsoft Mk II Sten!!

A group of friends and I decided it would be good to do some WWII airsoft but I was only really interested in being a Tommy. There is a distinct lack of British guns available for airsoft and I always loved the Sten so as I am a model designer by trade I thought I’d put one together myself.

sten.jpg

As we wanted to have more than one Brit I have made sure I can reproduce the gun a number of times. The receiver is aluminium and the barrel and stock are steel but the rest is scratchbuilt then cast in a very tough resin. This means that the worst bit is over and the next gun will just require the receiver and stock machining and the other parts casting and cleaning.

It runs an MP7 gearbox with modified nozzle firing through a modified AK47 hop with the intake turned through 90° and an MP5 inner barrel. The hop is accessed by pulling back the cocking lever, opening up the ejection port.

hop.jpg

It is powered by a custom micro 8.4V ni-mh stick battery held in the stock. The butt plate pulls out when you depress a button under the stock and also holds in place the battery connectors.

bat-stock.jpg

The outer magazine is a genuine Sten one with the end cut off housing a 90 round mid-cap. Hi-caps don’t work on their side but I think the smaller capacity suites WWII re-enactment better anyway.

I have tried to get it as close to the original in size and appearance as possible, the only major difference is the trigger housing being slightly wider to contain the gearbox. I’m particularly pleased with my sculpted rough welds and the Sten Mk II stamp on the magwell.

magwell.jpg

I painted it with a good few layers of gunmetal paint first then with a thin layer of black so I could chip and wear it with sanding pads to achieve the worn and rough appearance of the real Sten. It’s also had a little oil paint and weathering powder to help make it look well used.

I’m going to try to get a video of it shooting soon as well as getting it chrono’d. It seems to shoot just as well as my MP7 so should be fine as an SMG for skirmishing.

As I mentioned, it is possible to make a few more of these so if anyone is seriously interested let me know, bear in mind though that a lot of hours went into creating the patterns for this gun and there is also at least a couple of days work needed to machine, cast and clean each new gun not to mention the material costs and the donor MP7 so they won’t be cheap.

Will

that mate, is a work of art! well done, I'm rather tempted to have a go myself now that you've put the idea in my head! ;)

I'd love to see some WIP pics of this if you feel like parting with your trade secrets! ;) - call it a professional curiosity (am also a modelmaker by trade)...

Beautiful, as soon as someone starts making a few more, hence asking a cheaper rather than 'not cheap' price, I will buy one in an instant. It's just about the only gun I actually really want in airsoft.

Great work :)

No fair! I replied to this thread hours ago.. for congrats to him.. Where did it go?

Oh well.

Perhaps with the current mold, make a 'commando' version, and add a silencer?

VEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRY VERY COOL! I am a big side loader fan (sten sterling lanchester)

I eventually plan on making a mk3 paintball marker (need some access to a machine shop). I have the parts and knowhow---but lack time and inititave.

I already have a 1/2 finished Australian F1 paintball marker (nobody knows what the heck it is.) I need to make the marker work well before put a top load mag to it.

I am a big sterling fan.

PS: A remote battery, a loop stock, and a silencer would be cool.

Archived