Building the Ultimate MP5A4

Tree Eyes

Allright,

My first AEG (the ICS / AE MP5A4) came several days ago, and it is a fantastic gun......but that's kinda besides the point......

As everyone knows, the ICS MP5 series is the best available, and even more so if you purchase them from Airsoft Elite....

Now, I'm trying to put together a list of things to creat the "Ultimate MP5" as it would be, and I was hoping you gents could help me with the technical issues or remind me of some things I might have left out.......

Here We Go:

ICS / AE MP5A4

Guarder Tactical Light Foregrip

Some light to go with the foregrip

Marui HOP-UP Rubber

Airsoft Elite already installs a re-inforced Tappet Plate, but maybe I'd get a systema one

Sling

Magazines (does anyone know where you can purchase the 230 round ICS hi-caps?)

Systema High Speed Motor (Do i need Long, Medium, or Short?)

Motor Heat Sink (already included)

1J spring or relevant power spring (M100, PDI 120%, I'm fairly sure those are about same FPS.....correct me if I'm wrong)

Full Tune-Up Kit 99 MP-5 Super High Speed

Some Type of Claw mount

Red Dot scope

Laser

Not sure why kind of battery, I'm thinking 9.6 High Mah Battery, but how high MAH, and how high of MAh can I get before I need to modify the stock by use of dremel or something?

6.04mm Tight bore Barrel

MP5 A2/A3 Tactical Grip and lower receiver (fits TM MP5) *SEF style with ergonomic grip*

And I think that's about it........is there anything I have left out? IS there anything that nees to be changed? And answers to any of the questions would be much appreciated.....

I plan on writing a review / guide to upgrading when I'm complete with list of materials...thanks for any help guys.....

I have similar accesories on my CA MP5. Aside from the ones you listed, I would get a double mag clamp and a low profile scope mount with an aimpoint/replica to go with it. What type of full tune up kit were you planning on getting?

hhmm... if the ICS MP5 is the best available, why are you intent on changing just about every part in it?

IMO, the perfect AEG is one that shoots. The more you mess with your gun, the higher the probability that your gun is going to screw up. This is about ten times as likely if you are inexperienced with working on a gearbox.

My advice is to leave your gearbox alone until something gives, then replace it with an aftermarket part. There's no point in fixing something that isn't broke. Stick to stuff outside your gearbox, like a tightbore barrel and your other external add-ons.

Yeah, gears and all that with only an M100? What a waste of money.

ICS Mp5

Guarder Tappet Plate

Guarder Hop Up Bucking

Systema BS barrel

Guarder Claw Mount

Guarder NB13 Aimpoint

Guarder Tac Grip w/ light

G&P Midcaps

Guader threaded muzzle and QD flash hider

Guarder SP100

9.6v 3300mah w/modded stock.

An SEF lower won't fit if it's designed for the TM, just buy an ICS already made with the SEF lower.

The perfect AEG wouldn't be limited by your piece of ###### 328 FPS rule so there you go.

Anything OVER 1J is unnecessary for CQB, it's kids like you who love 500fps at pointblank that ruin the game for the rest of us.

Agreed, and this nincompoop doesn't seem to understand that you cannot use a high rate of rate Full tune kit with a spring that's higher than one joule.....

Some people can't seem to look past the FPS of a gun.........sheesh, and with a tightbore barrel, it might end up supassing that, also, it'll be sure to keep me from going over the 350 FPS rule that most fields in America go by, so please, be quiet until you ask questions....Assuming will only make an *albatross* of your self...

Do you really need 3 aiming systems though? laser, scope and torch/red dot. Surely in the real world most spec ops guys will only have a few things attached to their guns, so they might have a point?

Well, as for the light......I'm a night softer mainly, so it would really come in handy......

The laser would be for CQB when there's no need to look through a scope.....or no time......and plus, unlike the light, it's less likely to give away your position.....

And sometimes, I need to try and make a shot from slightly farther away, and plus it'll help me to see moving objects in the dark at night, so that's why the scope is neccessary

hhmm...  if the ICS MP5 is the best available, why are you intent on changing just about every part in it?

IMO, the perfect AEG is one that shoots.  The more you mess with your gun, the higher the probability that your gun is going to screw up.  This is about ten times as likely if you are inexperienced with working on a gearbox. 

My advice is to leave your gearbox alone until something gives, then replace it with an aftermarket part.  There's no point in fixing something that isn't broke.  Stick to stuff outside your gearbox, like a tightbore barrel and your other external add-ons.

Well if it can be done, why shouldn't it be? And yes, I knwo what I'm doing, and have plenty of help available via this forum and it's members, along with other guides and forums on the internet....

If I can take a gun, and make it better, why shouldn't I? How many times have you heard of people's guns breaking within 5 - 10 minutes of playing? The gearbox has moving parts, and so no matter what it'll probably break eventually.

it'll be sure to keep me from going over the 350 FPS rule that most fields in America go by, so please, be quiet until you ask questions....Assuming will only make an *albatross* of your self..

what 350 rule most fields in america go by? maybe on the left coast but not on the eastern seaboard. ill finish this post up by saying refer to the second part of the paragraph i quoted from you

The perfect AEG wouldn't be limited by your piece of ###### 328 FPS rule so there you go.

HELO!!1 i R B USING TEH INTRENET!!! I AM TEH SMATR cos i haves IQ of 43!!!!1!11

We can't stop you from making a stupid, bigoted "I am right and you are wrong" comments, but we can ban you for it.

Next time, post a reason for your opinion. Like so:

I believe that the Perfect AEG would have to be more than 328fps. This is because I find that 328fps is a bit low and can result in problems when attacking people at range.

Some good quality gear grease to make sure your gears don't destroy themselves with prolongued use, and some silicone grease for the inside of the cylinder would be worth adding to the list.

Also, take a good look at the G&P Mid-Cap mags. They are much more reliable than Hi-Caps, they look better and they're cheaper. You'll need a speed-loader for them though, but definitely worth it. ;)

As for the battery, get an 8.4v pack with the highest capacity you can (mAh), or if you want to modify the inside of your solid-stock with some tools, a 9.6v pack can be made to fit to really up that ROF. I use the 9.6v pack in mine and it's great fun.

Hope that helps.

Tree Eyes...

As with most things, when you first buy a new toy you get an urge to customise it an make yours unique.

What you need to do, however, is save your cash, use the gun for a few months, get used to how it works and THEN decide what parts you need for it.

Thing is, airsoft guns are a system of parts and functions which are all inter-connected. Changing one might not make any difference but it WILL allow you to upgrade another one without reliability suffering.

Having said that (and this is where the waiting a while comes in) you can put all the fancy part you want in the gun but if you don't do the job properly then you'll be lucky if the gun still works when you finish, never mind working better.

Have you got a decent tool kit?

Have you got a decent work area?

Have you got a chrono?

Before you even think about building any "ultimate" gun you seriously MUST buy yourself some proper tools, set yourself up with a work-bench which has at least a small vice and get yourself a chrono so you can test your work.

That probably isn't what you want to hear but any serious upgrading will rapidly become a bodge if you don't have the correct tools for the job.

Now for the good news.

You probably won't need half of the upgrades you're considering.

If it was me I'd start by getting a more accurate barrel and replacing the hop-up. That will have the side effect of upping the power a little bit as well.

You don't need new gears unless you're going for a seriously powerful spring. In fact, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that there's not much to choose between any gears. My mate, with the M15, managed to lunch the sector gear while playing with a stupidly powerful spring. He spent £50 on Systema gears and they've lasted almost EXACTLY as long as the original CA gears before dying as well.

Obviously you'd need to destruction-test a selection of gears to come to a real conclusion but gears by CA, ICS, Guarder and Systema all seem to be roughly as hard as each other to me. My test consisted of trying to scratch one brand of gear with another. All gears managed to scratch the others with roughly the same degree of success.

As for the bling, do whatever you want. Personally, I reckon that a standard gun with no bolt-ons, which looks weathered and used looks far more hard-core than a gun with a bunch of tat bolted to it.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that you should probably use the gun for a few months before deciding what bits to buy cos if you don't then you'll probably end up with a bunch of spare parts which you can't be bothered to fit or that you've decided aren't neccesary after all.

If you want the 230rd hi-caps you can go to airsplat (I found no problems with them what so-ever from them despite what people say) and you can also buy an 8.4v 3000mah (trickle charge only) from them too. Just dont go too crazy with the ROF. Guarder springs are not like the m100's, the fps is about 10-20 lower. An sp110 SHOULD get you to about 12 over the UK limit. ;) (dont feel like getting flamed for putting up the real #) If you have high grade bb's you can also get a prometheus 6.03 tightbore for a little more accuracy and like 5 more fps. A tune up kit isnt necessary unless you get an m130+. You might want to get metal bushings just in case if they come with those nylon ones. Oh dont upgrade your piston to metal (use polycarb) because if something breaks it will be the 9$ piston instead of the 30$ gears.

Archived