RIS or RAS

JColt

Having taken apart my CA M15A4 SPC's RIS before, there is also the front attachment point too in addition to the rear being held on by the delta ring. The front pieces clip underneath this end cap (can't remember the name for it) which forms the back end piece of the front sight. It does come apart in two pieces...upper and lower half.

If any of the other RIS systems are like the CA, the only pain in the but part is to get the halves to come together while pulling down on the delta ring and keeping the front tabs inside the front end cap. Keeping the RIS from rotating is primarily done by the allen screw at the top of the RIS.

To contradict TCB in everyway. I found it so hard to take my CA RIS off the top reciver (Probs because of the delta ring) that I just went out and bought a new RAS to solve the problem :P

The RAS looks better, its much stronger, and half the pain to install it :)

Well to add my bit, TM R.I.S. is very very simple to take apart and put back together.

Pull delta ring back, take bottom half off, unscrew 4 allen screws, pull delta ring back and take off top half, voilá. You can work out how to put it back together I'm sure.

I don't know much about RAS, but I have no problems at all with my RIS. There is a teeny wobble on the bottom half, but you only notice it if you're looking for it, and it's easily ignored.

Lots of iffy info so here's the lowdown.

The RIS is Knight's Armaments first incarnation or 'Version 1', you could say, rail product and is held captive by the front 'End Cap' and the 'Delta Ring'. Internal protrusions lock into the star teeth of the 'Barrel Nut' and prevent it rotating.

ICS and Marui make these but they are not accurate since neither manufacturer utilises star type, real steel esque Barrel Nuts like other makers.

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...RIS%20and%20RAS

The RAS is Knight's second incarnation which improves on the RIS with a 'Claw Clamp' mounted into the inside, rear upper of the RAS unit. This claw(tightened from the outside, upper rear via an Allen bolt) clamps onto the inside surface of the 'Barrel Nut' holding the whole unit far more rigidly than a RIS.

CA, G&P, Guarder and Hurricane make these.

The RAS II is essentially the same as the RAS except for the extension that comes off the top rear of the unit and attaches to the upper receiver rail for greater integrity. It is also free float compatible.

G&P make these.

Finally you have the RAS free float systems. These do not use the original AR 'Barrel Nut' or 'Delta Ring' but instead have large 'Barrel Nut' with a thread on the inside. The inside thread is for the upper receiver and for retaining the barrel in the usual manner.

The 'Delta Ring', in this case, is a cup like nut, with an internal thread which is placed on the receiver thread prior to the 'Barrel Nut' being screwed down. It is then screwed down tight onto the external RAS thread once the RAS has been dropped into place and alligned properly.

G&P, G&G, VFC and King Arms make these.

It should also be noted that manufacturers havn't a clue what they are talking about and often call a RAS a RIS and vice versa. See CA and Hurrincane etc.

Can you suggest a good RAS and a good RAS free float for a G&P m4 (from a UK supplier if possible)

I really like the look of the RIS with the original front sight in place you see, but if the free floats are better then i suppose i could deal with them.

Cheers,

J.

Yeah i did, i assumed that you lost the front sight though by using a free float.

Ah well, if thats a free float then can anyone identify it, i really like the look of that, the as you said "locking nut" but with the front sight.

You don't lose the foresight as long as the RAS length is the right length. The make of the RAS FF, in that pic, is probably either a G&P or a King Arms but its hard to tell.

EDIT: I would guess that it is a King Arms unit since G&P Delta Ring locking nuts tend to be a bit greyer than the RAS.

Ah i see, thanks very much, something is clear to me for a change.

What threw me is the way people use flip up sights most of the time on RAS free floats.

EDIT - i take it that this is a free float like the one above but has an M4 length barrel?

http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=449

(just thought, where does the sight go and that looks nothing like an M4 outer barrel, theres no flash hider!)

[lots of factual information rather than BS]

Well done that man. I thought I was going to have to post that most of the previous replies were nonsense.

Anyway, for the money I'd ALWAYS suggest a free-floating RIS/RAS/SIR is the way to go BUT you must buy a decent 1-piece outer barrel if your gun doesn't already have one.

A RIS will be more secure on a TM or ICS AR15 cos the RIS helps stabilise the barrel.

If you fit a FF RAS to one of these guns you'll find the barrel wobbles around inside the RAS cos it doesn't have the foregrip to support it.

I'd recommend peddling over to RSOV and ordering one of their ACM M4 1-piece barrels to go with whatever free-floating RAS you decide to buy.

While you're at it, you could do a lot worse than buying the D Boys SIR from there too. It is amazing value and great quality.

I bout a G&P RAS (Possibly that one in the pic) and ended up preferring the D Boys SIR.

Also, once you have the RAS fitted, remove the sling from the front sight and attach it to the RAS so that it's not pulling on the barrel.

*EDIT*

Gratuitous pic for no good reason:-

DSC_1366.jpg

Archived