KJW 1911A1 Full Metal GBB

Nice review Shao, pushes me just that little bit closer to trying this gun out. I've got a WA 1911 sitting around right now that I'd like to compare it to. One thing I'm curious about though, you mention the thumb/frame safety does not function like the real thing, citing the fact that it only engages when the hammer is cocked. Yet this IS how the real thumb safety works. The gun cannot be put in safe unless the hammer is cocked back. If there is something else unrealistic about it or if it was a typo I'd be glad to know.

Yet this IS how the real thumb safety works. The gun cannot be put in safe unless the hammer is cocked back. If there is something else unrealistic about it or if it was a typo I'd be glad to know.

Oops, :P I apologize for this inaccuracy in my review. Certainly my fault for not doing the research right on the real 1911a1.

There's also serveral threads such as this

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...wtopic=3203&hl=

and the cross links contained in there, that came to my attention after I wrote the review. They were about the mags for the KJW 1911 (single or double stackers), and how this mag problem might have contributed to the BB rolling out of barrel or low gas efficiency, but I have not yet tried to mess with the screws on my mag. As for now, a full charge of gas could support about 2 mags BB, and the BB rolling out of the barrel is also getting rare. I still think the mag leaks somewhat, but not really noticable for short term.

I just got my KJW M9 full metal yesterday, and so far, it feels more solid than the 1911a1, ie less rattle, and the mag has more than double the BB capacity (25). Seems like a better choice for skirmish sidearm. I might write up a review for that when I have time too. :)

An additional note, maybe the 1911A1 has different variants for the safety, here's what I read, "Hammer could be locked either in cocked or in lowered position, allowing the gun to be carried in "cocked and locked" state, with safety on, hammer cocked and round chambered. Additional automated safety incorporated into rear of the grip and locks the action when gun not held in the hand properly." from http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg04-e.htm

Also, the TM 1911A1 springer's thumb safety can be put on safe with the hammer uncocked too.

Thats interesting, I'd never heard anything like that. Every WA 1911 I've ever owned had the safety made in such a way that it could only be engaged when the hammer was down. This was the same as the real Colt brand 1911 I had a chance to fire, though aftermarket companies may have done things differently.

All 1911's and clones can only have the safety applied when the hammer is cocked ( might include half cocked as well).

Their have been some hybrid systems like the Safety Fast Shooting System that operated differently to this though these are custom jobs not factory standard.

I can confirm this with my own Colt-copy real-1911. Safety can only be applied with the hammer cocked. The KJW 1911 is probably the closest to being a Colt Series 70. The forward portion of the barrel is metal, but the barrel at the ejection port I can confirm is 100% PLASTIC. Yay. (I have the fortune to work at a location where I can... erm... "toy" with the display guns.) The lower frame is metal.

I'd also like to add, IMHO, the finish is rather less-pleasant than the KJW Para-Ordnance clone. The paint seems a little thicker than usual. The current line of WA 1911's, even being plastic, have a much more "metal" look than this cheesy paint job. Even with that said, I think its a great value. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to add it depends on what parts you're trying to carry over from WA 1911s. For some reason, the shape and coil of the recoil spring doesn't like to be used with the Guarder 150% spring, but the hammer spring works properly, with minimal, if any, benefit. Magazines cannot be swapped. I haven't tried the cylinder or the barrel assembly yet, which should be a pre-SCW system copy.

Edited by evazerone

Could someone, please answer a few questions for me? How much of a copy of the WA is this? Why won't the mags swap? The other thread that is mentioned here, says that you can make them work if you change the upper part (part 57?). I have an old WA 1911 (pre scw) single stacker with a broken frame and I would love to be able to buy this and ressurect my baby by cannibalizing it for the frame. If this thing is copied from the WA, theoretically, I would be able to get my WA slide to fit. Are WA slides interchangeable?

Sorry for all the questions.

>Why won't the mags swap? The other thread that is mentioned here, says that you can make them work if you change the upper part (part 57?).

Well, the magazine fits and all, but when trying to fire, it barely even blows back. It's probably something with the dimensions. If someone else says part 57 is all you need, I suppose that might be true.

>I have an old WA 1911 (pre scw) single stacker with a broken frame and I would love to be able to buy this and ressurect my baby by cannibalizing it for the frame. If this thing is copied from the WA, theoretically, I would be able to get my WA slide to fit. Are WA slides interchangeable?

Hmm. Why would you want to use the WA slide unless you have a nice metal one? I'm not sure about this either. My beautiful, but utterly useless WA 1911 is out-of-comission right now so I wouldn't be able to tell if it functioned or not.

Sorry I'm not more help... but this gun does have a low price tag (around $130) so why not give it a shot? At worst case if its not compatible, you have a decent full-metal shooter for much less than you would finding a replacement for your WA.

Yeah,

I have a pgc Springfield slide and it seems a shame that it's just laying about. It sounds like if I could swap out all of the parts on this thing for WA parts it would fire really well. I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig on this one. :)

>Why won't the mags swap?  The other thread that is mentioned here, says that you can make them work if you change the upper part (part 57?).

Well, the magazine fits and all, but when trying to fire, it barely even blows back. It's probably something with the dimensions. If someone else says part 57 is all you need, I suppose that might be true.

>I have an old WA 1911 (pre scw) single stacker with a broken frame and I would love to be able to buy this and ressurect my baby by cannibalizing it for the frame.  If this thing is copied from the WA, theoretically, I would be able to get my WA slide to fit.  Are WA slides interchangeable?

Hmm. Why would you want to use the WA slide unless you have a nice metal one? I'm not sure about this either. My beautiful, but utterly useless WA 1911 is out-of-comission right now so I wouldn't be able to tell if it functioned or not.

Sorry I'm not more help... but this gun does have a low price tag (around $130) so why not give it a shot? At worst case if its not compatible, you have a decent full-metal shooter for much less than you would finding a replacement for your WA.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, I didn't use the gun for the past week or two, and when I was trying to use it again, as I was trying to put the gas in from the bottom, the gas all spilled out from the other side! That was disappointing.

I put a little lube on the valve, and warm the mag with my hand for a while, and now it's good again. I guess the sea on the valve was not so good as many have pointed out.