UA-571C Remote Sentry Weapon

ajay_may

I wouldnt have the first clue how to go about this, but how cool would it be to convert an aeg to this?

IMAGES REMOVED CAUSE I CANT GET EM TO WORK! Link is ... HERE

Oh sure i can't EVER see being allowed to use it in games, but still. MMMMMM

I'd picture a p90 as the base, a steyr would be peftect with the longer shape but if they are discontinued i cant see them being chopped up. with some heavy cosmetic work done to make it look the part and a very large capacity mag it would ROCK :D

im sure with some electrical engineering know how it could be made to be motion sensitive and rotate in the right way.

Its beyond my skills, but i wanted to out the idea out there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anything is possible with the time and the parts.. would you want it automatic or crew driven? a joystick could make it manual easy enough. after that a mother of all box mags could do the trick. Sure it can be done. the question is what happens when i get close enough to knock it over so it stops shooting?

anything is possible with the time and the parts..  would you want it automatic or crew driven? a joystick could make it manual easy enough.  after that a mother of all box mags could do the trick.   Sure it can be done. the question is what happens when i get close enough to knock it over so it stops shooting?

For autenticity, it'd haveta be automatic, though crew driven would be more useful for games. and fairer, kill the crew, kill the machine.

I dont know why those pictures arent showing, i used the add image button in the post and they worked in the preview. I'll see if i can fix it

I can't. i never have much luck with pics in forums, uh, images appear here

Aliens Hardware Page

The base weapon for the originals were MG42s so I'd probably look at M60s for size (and large ammo cap) but the TOP M60s aren't exactly famous for their reliability... or anything else really.

If I were ambitious I'd talk in terms of building from scratch but...

At least these would be large, easier to get something working when you've got space to play with.

I'm just watching aliens now, huge and boxy these things. far to huge and boxy. a slimmed down version would still look the part with half the width and girth on these suckers. Though i dare say several batteries would be an idea, esp if wired up to sweep back and forth.

Starting from scratch would be incredibly ambitious!

I discussed this with a mate once, though we wanted to buy a load of those cheap (£6) EBB's from Antics, and make about 8 of them :P

You could buy a motion sensor from Maplin (for a security light say), and hook it up to some sort of lever that pulled the triggers when it detected movement (simple hydraulics here). We wanted to make little ones that you could dot around your base covertly, twin-linked, so that when you got within about 15 metres of them, they started firing :D

I'm sure the hardest part will be all the modelling etc. The mechanism for motion sensing and firing would be elementary stuff for somebody who knows electronics. You'd just scale up the idea from cheap EBB's, to something much scarier :)

I had an idea on how to do this, once, along time ago, so here's the basics:

Base gun: FA-MAS (cheap, wicked RoF, and compact)

Mold (almost spelled it mould! :blink: ) it into a basic ABS shell, or build a sheet-metal case.

Attach a motion sensor from a light (as was already suggested) and rug it to a trigger as well as a 45-degree firing pattern that sprays in a figure-8. Two or three servos should do the job.

Make it turn on and off remotly from a cheapo-laptop rigged to a small CPU in the gun.

It'd be expensive as hell, but a lot of fun to use, especially in CQB.

Why bother with rigging things to the trigger?

Let's start from scratch... although we'll ignore the gun for the moment...

For a start we need a tripod, onto this we mount a motor, with a reduction gearbox and a crank, this we connect to the base plate of the weapon (on top of the tripod and bearing mounted to allow the base plate to rotate freely). This is set up so that when the drive shaft rotates through three sixty degrees the base plate rotates through ninety degrees "forwards" and back ninety degrees (giving a sweep forty five degrees to each side).

The weapon is then mounted, with the trigger group removed and the fire mode hard wired to full auto.

OK, the sensor then needs to be wired up to an electromagnetic switcher. This is then wired up with one side replacing the trigger and the other to the motor. The default position of course has to be on the motor side and its probably worth adding a kill switch so that those in the bunker can switch the guns from overkilling the poor chap stuck in the open to scanning again.

So the gun gets set up and you flick the solid state switch on the side to activate it. The gun begins sweeping its ninety degree fire arc and you retire to cover.

When someone moves into range of the sensor it activates the switcher and the gun stops scanning and starts shooting, when they move out again it stops firing and scans again, if you blinker the sensor you might even get it to track fire by stages (assuming your target moved the right way).

You would have to at least build up any weapon you use to MG42 size and bulk out all of the "electronics" around the ammo drum (and add the ammo drum of course). If nothing else but for the fact that a gun that big is hugely more impressive than a P90 on a stick :)

There's also the fact that it would be sacrilege to create something like a robot sentry without trying to make it exactly like a robot sentry.

For materials I'd probably be looking at copper and plastic plumbing, aluminium and wood, much easier than moulding parts.

Already done - some crazy, crazy yanks on another forum (I forget which) have made such sentry guns, although I believe they're remotely controlled by a laptop. Which also controls BB tanks, a helicopter with a camera and the video screens and cameras linked to each airsoft team members helmet.

I repeat crazy ..... and rich.

-sp*

If nothing else but for the fact that a gun that big is hugely more impressive than a P90 on a stick  :) 

The way you've described it it almost seems quite easy. the hardest part being bulking it up and making it lok like a robot sentry.

Although The image of a p90 gaffa taped to a stick really making me smile. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about how to make an automated system fair, cos you can't kill a lump of machinery.

You just need to include two or three knockdown targets on the base, rigged so that if all the knockdowns were knocked down, the sentry would power down until it was manually reset.

I shall give this some thought, I could probably whip something up with a battery drill and a couple of cheap PIR sensors. Hell if I used a full security system you could even arm and disarm it with a keypad :)

as for "killing it" you could use several knockdown targets that have a strip of brass on the bottom that creates a circuit. if you run them all in series there will be a circuit all the time at least one is standing. you have to knock them all down to remove all power.

Archived