Kart M668 EBR to Marui Conversion How-to

X-Man

Alrighty gents

I have just finished converting my Tokyo Marui Socom into a Kart M668 EBR Body, and I'm just throwing up the info for players to see.

Just a few quick points:

1: I'm not going to cover M14 or M668 disassembly. There are threads on both of those subjects already, and if you dont feel comfortable doing a disassembly on your own, you probably shouldnt do it.

2: You need some soldering skills for this project. The Kart EBR uses a different wiring method than the Marui M14, but if you have some experience it's very easy to do

3: Practice fitting everything together, especially the stock assembly, before you re-assemble. Make sure none of your wires are getting pinched, and that your trigger and selector switch have full normal range of motion.

On to the How-To!

After unpacking the Kart, I gave both AEG's a close visual inspection, looking for differences.

th_AK-74001.jpg

Parts that need to be swapped:

1: Mid Barrel mount: The Kart barrel mount fits very flush with the EBR body, making the outer barrel very stable, even with the top front rail removed.

th_AK-74008.jpg

2: Motor Mount: The Kart Motor mount is silver, and has the motor adjustment screw located on the back of the mount. The Marui motor mount is black, has the adjustment screw on the bottom. Once your EBR is converted, unless you swap the motor mounts you will not be able to adjust your motor without dissasembly unless you swap the mounts

th_AK-74002.jpg

Dissasembly

Step 1: Remove top rail mount, pistol grip, rear stock assembly, and trigger guard from Kart

Step 2: Remove Top rail / cover, stock, external stock wire from Marui

Step 3: Swap motor mounts: Pay CLOSE attention to the internal parts of both of the mounts. The adjustment systems are very different. Also examine the wiring. I set the Marui motor with the Neg ground wire facing up, and the positive down.

Here is a pic of the completed swap:

th_AK-74004.jpg

Step 4: Run new wiring for the Marui Gearbox. Pretty simple if you are mechanicly inclined. Run a new Negative wire from the motor lead to the front, run a new Positive wire from the switch on the right side of the AEG ( The side that the fire selector is on. )

You will need to run one wire up the left side of the body, and one up the right. The EBR body is a pretty tight fit, and it will not fit unless you seperate the wires. I ran the Positive wire up the right side and the negative wire up the left.

Here is a pic of an attempt to run both the wires up one side. It didnt work ;)

th_AK-74005.jpg

Step 5: Swap the barrel mounts

Pretty easy...

Step 6: Install Marui gearbox / Barrel into EBR body.

I clamped the whole thing into a vise for this, just to have a stable platform. Your new wiring needs to be on the UNDERSIDE of the motor, otherwise the stock assembly will not fit or operate

PS: This is a pic of my attempt to use connectors instead of re-wiring. It did not work either. The stock assembly is so tight, the only option is a quick rewire

th_AK-74006.jpg

Step 7: Fit stock assembly and pistol grip

Take your time with this one, make sure, once again, no wires are getting pinched and that your stock has the full range of motion.

The stock assembly is about seven pieces, and they only go together ONE way, so take your time and it's cake.

Step 8: Replace top rail assembly, and then pick up your new 18 lb Marui EBR!

Here is a pic of my finished one

th_AK-74009.jpg

Good job X-Man! I'd +1 you if it were still available. Instead, here, have a virtual cookie for a job well done! :D

But I have a question...

It seems like you essentially swapped gearbox and not really 'converted' the EBR.

Understanding that the word 'converted' is a very relative term (i.e. you may define it differently as I would).

My question is did you try swapping out the OB, hop unit?

If you did, my apologies, I did not read your instructions correctly.

The objective of course is to make sure that a TB can be fit into the gun and that we have full use of TMs uber hop unit.

After closely examining both mechbox / barrel assemblies, I saw it was possible to just basicly drop the entire assembled Marui assembly into the Kart EBR body, after you swap the pieces that are detailed in the posts.

I really wanted to retain the Marui hop unit as well, and it works!

on a related not, the kart hop unit that comes with the EBR is much improved over the older ones.

After closely examining both mechbox / barrel assemblies, I saw it was possible to just basicly drop the entire assembled Marui assembly into the Kart EBR body, after you swap the pieces that are detailed in the posts.

I really wanted to retain the Marui hop unit as well, and it works!

on a related not, the kart hop unit that comes with the EBR is much improved over the older ones.

In what way has the KART hop up been improved?

Are the KART and TM hop-up the same?

As I said in the intro part.....

If you want to retain the ability to adjust your motor, you have to switch the motor mounts.

The Marui motor mount has the adjustment screw on the bottom, which is no way accessable once the EBR is assembled.

The Kart motor mount has the adjustment screw on the rear, so you retain the ablility to adjust your motor.

It's up to peeps individually, but I like to be able to adjust my motor, without having to dissasseble the entire stock assembly.

th_motorcage.jpg

I do apologise, let me rephrase...

Bit of filing on the marui cage and rear part of ebr chassis and it will fit, whilst still allowing you the ability to reach the motor adjustment screw.

I thank you.

Cheers

d

Usually I test and fine-tune everything of the gearbox when I separated the gearbox from the stock. After that there is (most usually) no need to adjust the motor position at all.

Will try and put a pic up monday for you (at work now).

Basically...

i. take the small square section of the chassis that holds the stock adjuster off

ii. put the tm internals in the main part and secure it all with a couple of bolts and the trigger guard

iii. offer up the chassis end and see whats in the way, then file it off :D -no sarcasm intended. Just keep offering it up and filing a bit off. You may have to take a bit off the chassis end as well. Eventually it will pop into place.

I'm sure that will probably make no sense to anyone-don't think I will ever be a technical author :(

cheers

d

This might be a stupid question, but are there systema boxes or the likes out there that fits the M14? So you could possibly just buy the kart, and rebuild it with better internals?

I don't think the internals are terrible at all...if only I could get it to feed properly in auto :unsure:

cheers

d

Archived