M500 Shotgun Clone Review

:P

Right then, Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the clone edition of the venerable Marushin M500SSB 8mm shotgun!

M500ShottyClone1.png

Well, actually....this is a review 'stub' :blush:

I'm off to breakfast, then I will finish the rest of the pics and article and post it up this afternoon!

Roman1911sml.png

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really that big a deal?

I took the pics, edited a couple then I'm off to put the feed bag on- I thought I'd generate some interest and a bit of a 'cliff hanger'

...have I offended you? :unsure:

;)

Back in a few

Edited by Guinness
Is it really that big a deal?

I took the pics, edited a couple then I'm off to put the feed bag on- I thought I'd generate some interest and a bit of a 'cliff hanger'

...have I offended you? :unsure:

;)

Back in a few

Well unlike some younger folks <waves walking stick in the populations general direction> I like cliffhangers - why I remember when ..... :D

DarkMM :flamed:

French reviews for you :

Now that's funny.... :P

Guy come in and posts a "hey look over here" comment in someone else's review thread! the cheek!

A few out of focus pics and it's in French! I guess I deserved it to some extent for beginning the thread. :blush:

ahhh them Frenchies...they're a hoot!

Actually he gets into more internal detail than I will here.

Anyway, writing now, it will be posted in a bit!

....In the meantime, here's a diversion for ya, and it's not in French!

The Kings Ball

Edited by Guinness

@ DarkLite:

...I think they have a solution for that- it's called a 'tripod' ? :P

Ok lads......:blush:

Sincerest apologies for getting everybodies knickers all in a bunch today with the teaser! :unsure:

I honestly didn't think it would cause this much of a stir and fuss.

My bad :(

So now, without further ado....

The M500SSB Replica Stainless Shotgun

Gas Powered, Full Metal, 8mm

M500a_sml.png

Image note: I have linked to larger images on many of the photos here- If there is a hand icon when you hover directly over the image, there is a larger, hi-quality image linked

First impressions and a brief review of the Chinese clone of the Marushin M500SSB 8mm Shotgun Stainless Edition

by Guinness

Part I

Box and Packing

M500InBox1_sml.png

I received the new gun bright and early this morning from my good friends at Boomarms. I really can't say enough about Johnny and his crew, they go out of their way to take care of their customers. As usual, 2 day express shipping to my doorstep here in Colorado.

The package came in the standard green wrapping paper that screams "Airsoft Toy!" And it was very well packed and secured within the container as well.

M500OnBox2_sml.png

M500Table3_sml.png

As I said, I love the guys at Boomarms all to pieces, yet this concerned me just a wee bit....

OrangeTip5_sml.png

The collector in me loves not having to remove blaze orange (in that super-secret process that we shall not speak of here ;) ). Yet the Toy buyer in me was a bit in shock thinking "Wow, good thing I sent those Customs guys that batch of cookies....my gun could have been a early Christmas present" :(

I have dispatched a note off to Boomarms kindly suggesting a bit more due diligence in preparation to ship. I know that he wants to get the products out as rapidly as possible, but it would be a big 'ol bummer if someones Toys were seized.

M500Deck1sml.png

Part II

The Gun

GasResCloseup6_sml.png

Shot of the gas reservoir. Trigger guard is black plastic.

BBLoadingLatch8_detail.png

Detail showing magazine catch lever in 'closed' position

BBLoadingLatch9_detail.png

Detail showing the magazine lever in 'open' position

LoadingTube14_detail.png

Detail photo showing BB magazine filler opening. Opens, loads, and operates exactly like the Marushin.

Part III Next
Edited by Guinness
Part III

Feel, Fit and Finish

Being a clone of the Marushin M500, the shotgun is full metal and as heavy as you would expect. Easily as heavy, but not as long as my Marushin M1 Garand. I have handled the 'real deal' before, both a real-steel Mossberg M500, and the Marushin M500 this product is a clone of. The Clone is identical in balance and feel to the Marushin. However, it is in the finish department overall that we begin to see the difference between the more expensive Marushin shotgun and the Clone.

It's important to start off with a frame of reference, I paid $95 for the Clone M500 plus $45 express shipping- $140 USD. The Marushin retails for $325, plus shipping. Of course the Marushin includes real wood stock and front grip.
Overall, I am very happy with the clone. For the money I really believe it represents an incredible value.

That said, I would point out some of the areas that show why there is a $230 dollar difference.

FrontSight10_sml.png

Closeup of front sight. Sight is plastic, notice excess flashing at rear base of sight.

RearSight11_sml.png

Rear sight and safety switch. Rear sight is also plastic, but has thumbscrew elevation adjustment.

RecoilPad13_sml.png

Rubber recoil pad is pretty nice actually.

Part IIIa

Faux Wood Stock Parts

StockCapClose7_sml.png

Plastic glue-in cap on stock- not sure why it had to be built this way?

WoodDetail12_sml.png

WoodDetail12a_sml.png

WoodDetail12b_sml.png

The wood isn't bad... The disappointing thing is, there are a few big old thumb prints in the paint- one one each side of the stock, and a less noticeable one on the forward pump-grip.

Good thing I'll be replacing these parts soon anyway ;)

Here is another nagging little bit-

BarrelCloseupOffCenter4_sml.png

The screw is noticeably off-center compared to the sling eyelet. I will have another look at that and see if it can be sorted out easily.

Part IIIb

Metal Finish

ScratchesLft16_sml.png

ScratchesRt15_sml.png

Don't get me wrong, the Stainless looks is very very sexy, however obviously scratches easily. These scratches were on the gun right out of the box. I've never seen metal scratch so easily actually. I believe even is this gun was painted black it would scratch very quickly.

Part IV Next...
Edited by Guinness
Part IV

Operation and Shooting Tests

No Guinness Products Were Harmed During This Test!

Test1.png

My test subject, an empty can of Murphy's Irish Stout next to a pint of real Guinness (of course ;) )

Test2.png

What's the rush? Always need to prepare for any serious testing! Right then.....

Test3.png

From 20 ft. 3 BB's right through side of can

Test4.png

From 5 ft. 3 8mm BB's through bottom of can

No Guinness Products Harmed During This Test!

No distance accuracy tests yet, Its a Shotgun, not a Sniper rifle! :P

Part V

Conclusion

As stated earlier, overall I am very pleased with the gun. Very nice, solid feel (like Marushin). Very impressive power (also like Marushin). The only areas I feel could stand improvement is the fit and finish of the gun. If asked I would have recommended the clone manufacturers open with the black version instead of the Stainless due to the ease of scratching and marring the finish.

That said, I still really like the Stainless color anyway. I was skeptical at first but it is definitely growing on me. I'm going to look for some buffing or polishing cream and see what I can do about the scratches.

This makes my 4th 8mm weapon, so I have no complaints about the size of the round. This is my first clone 8mm however and I would say again that from the perspective of operation, function and use- the gun is a winner. It's really cosmetically that is suffers, and I believe I can do something about that.

I would recommend this weapon certainly for someone looking for a nice, sturdy and powerful Full Metal Shotgun platform. And the price is certainly a big reason to consider the purchase. Is it equal to the Marushin in appearance quality? no, but not far from it either.

Ratings

Overall Quality 9/10
Operation 9/10
Appearance 7.5/10
Power 9/10
Value 9.99/10

Planned Improvements, Upgrades and Modifications

Reportedly this will accept real-steel accessories, so there will be a vented handguard in its future. Then either a real wood stock and front grip or a pistol grip and real wood front grip.

Also, I was surprised that I actually like the ring rear sights, but I will either replace with real metal or remove and replace the front with the brass bb sight.

M500Deck2sml.png

Slainte!

-Guinness Edited by Guinness
So from your great review Guiness I'll take this as gun = awesomesauce yes?

For under a hunnert bucks....a bit over with shipping?

Yeah, I think its a winner :D

...At least until the Chicom M870 scattergun clone comes out..... ;)

Gawd I hope they are listening :P

KEEP QUIET LISTEN TO ME

"CLONE M1 Carrbine GBB or M3A1 that DOESNT suck!"

jk AKM full steel please.

Back on topic..:

whats the fps on this thing, judging by the "can" test around 350?

Christmas list now updated:

_________

RS Type 56

Clone M500

BlackHawk Commando Strike Rig

_________

Thanks for the lovely review! But some idea of accuracy/group spread please. :)

It's pretty tight groupings up until 20m or so, then it suddenly spreads pretty quickly.

And Sirrith, yes, it's legal in HK cos each bb is individually carrying (slightly) less than 2J KE.

However, 3 of those almost in exactly the same spot almost exactly the same time is going to have a bit more of an effect.

And Guiness, tripod's don't follow presenters for tracking shots etc. If I wanted to make a pile of YouTube fodder video review, I'd have done 8 by now.