TM M3 magwell mod.

ED-SKaR

I shall start by saying that I love my TM M3, I baught it second hand over a year ago and have used it many times. It has probably seen action almost as regularly as my SA80, my 'main' weapon of four years. It is reasonably inacurate but with three BBs I allmost allways make a hit, and even though it isnt full auto, people do take their hits from it (something i allways have trouble with my ill fated UTG mp5s)

I have seen many "highcap shell" mods for this gun, where a highcap mag is glued to a shell. The first i saw was badly positioned so there was only a small amount of surface area for the glue (or resin) to hold. Others I have seen more recently involve the entire lenght of the highcap, providing more surface area for the glue, but making it difficult to load the highcaps hopper.

My idea was rather than to modify the shell with a highcap, but to modify the gun to take the highcap seperatly. I mused over this for some time, throwing the idea into the void that is the internets, and bouncing the idea between other shotgunners to see if i could get some ideas on how best to do this. Someone pointed out that the M16/M4 has a two part hop unit, so that i could use the lower half of the hop to make the BBs come out of the mag, and save me a lot of effort later on when it came to finding a tube elsewhere.

I finally decided that i would have a shell in the gun, the cut M4 lower reciever below. The feed tube from the M4 magwell would line up with a hole i cut in the shell, and that whole lot would be attached by means of some brackets over the top of the gun.

So, i got to work:

I started by getting a rough shape in the lower reciever from my doner gun (it is a plastic TM M4 lower reciever)

reciever cut

erly fit

Then i shortened the lower hop/feed tube so that it would fit against the shell.

hop/feed tube

hop/feed tube cut

m4 lower with cut hop

Then i cut the hole in the shell, i lined up the shell in the gun, and the M4 lower several times to make sure that the hole would be cut in the right place.

cut shell

how the cut shell fits to the cut hop

As you see, the mag releace catch is loose. This is because the spring that makes it work on an assembled M4 rests agains the gearbox.... only this has not got the gearbox, so can't. This plagued me as i was working on the previous parts and it finally came to a point at this stage becuase I wanted to test it. I did solve this problem, by using a Classic Army ready mag system. Not only did this solve the problem of mags falling out, but it also ment i could have quick mag changes (as i intended to use midcaps not highcaps)

So at this point i had all the pieces together cut and shaped so that it 'should' work. I knew of corse that it would not (its never that easy) so I decided I had to test it. Without the brackets that I wanted to make, I used some handy cable ties.

First fitup

From here i did test it, as soon as i put the mag in (King arms 85 round VN midcap) it made the very fimilar loud rattling noise of BBs rushing around.

I was quite shoked at this, and instantly thought that it just might work without any more work. I pumped and shot, and a trio of BBs flew down range. As i shot a second shot only one BB was shot, and after this no more would come.

What was happening was that when the mag went in, the BBs where going down both sides of the shell, and the BBs that went down the wrong end where jamming the feed to the right end. So I made a small piece and glued it into the shell to make sure that as soon as the BB came from the feed tube to the shell, they would only be able to go one way.

To make this i used "polymorph" a short polymer that melts at about 63 degrees so you can melt it in hot water and play it around in your hands to shape it.

*pics of this will follow*

I tested it again and it fead allmost perfectly, The only problem now is that the lower M4 reciever can move forwards about 2mm, and cause the feed to stop, so currently it must be pulled backwards to return proper feeding.

I took it to Electrowerks today (my homeground airsoft site) and used it as my primary the whole 4 hours gaming. At first i was using three 85 round midcaps (for a total of 75 shots) and was very happy with the results, exept the movement in the M4 lower was dogging me by moving forwards all to often. Later I borrowed a 300 round highcap and that was fun ^^. Using a TM shotgun and never having to reload. Still i do like reloading occasionally so i will be sticking with my midcaps.

Here are some pictures taken by felts27 of the shotgun in action.

Please ignore the bayonet

300 round higcap

nice one ,you made it:).Its nice not having to reload so much isn't it .Can't help but think it looks alittle dirty though :unsure: .If you could make one using one of those g36 mag port things so you can use m16 mags in ,it would look more asthetically pleasing :rolleyes: . But its a good dummy run before you start hacking up new bits. Well done :D

Dannyboy, of corse i will make you one.... for a small fee :D

I am having problems with my FTP file hosting so i can't upload any more pictures at the current time ¬.¬. When i get it working (or when i get bored of it and use something else) ill get a flat side picture with the VN and standard mags.

I did concider the PPA STANAG magwell for the G36, but cost and ease of cutting made me lean towards TM plastic.

Renegadecow, I forgot to mention in the first post that there where three stages to this mod (as i planned)

stage one was to get stuff cut and roughly fit them, stage two was to make it feed properly, and the third stage is to make it look nice.

Stage one was pretty easy, and stage two is allmost finished (just the movement in the lower to fix), and i havent even begun on stage three. This will involve more cutting and more of the Polymorph, to make the shapes seam more asthetic (the trigger guard area is the wors at the moment) also in stage three was to make the brackets

Thanks to everyone who has posted.

I have a dream of a gas powered TM shotgun ^^

Same TM shells, just gas fed for semi autoness.

sandstorm, Ill give you an estimate.

lower reciever with mag releace bar, button and screw, and lower hop = ? (£15 second hand)

one shell = £5 (new price)

aproxx 3-4 hours work (£15 - £20)

plus postage and polymorph you are looking at approximaty £50 per unit if i made them and sold them.

And yes sandstorm if by "bondo" you mean polymorph then it will be done soon ^^.

heroshark, i do very like your shotgun. I remember that it is one of those "glue the entire shell to the mag" affairs and that the feed door is in a different place than a conventional mag. TBH i allready had my idea planned out when i saw yours, and it encoraged me to go ahed with mine, if i had seen it much erlyer (before i had my project so planned) then it probably would have dishartened me and made me not do it or not even come up with it.

(PS, OMG i am in dannyboys sig, I AM FAMOUS :D:D:D)

Too right ;)

Shall have to get you a pic of the offending barrel in the morrow. If I wake up when it's light ¬_¬ Also, no offence, but ######s to £50!

:zorro:

Its a custom part, all custom parts are expencive because they have to be hand crafted or whatever. If this was mass produced it would be cheaper. (and BTW, £50 is a maximum estimate)

Or you could make it yourself, this is why this sub forum exists after all, to spread ideas.

*pats heroshark on teh head*

I know custom parts are worth more mate, I'm just a cheap *beep* :D . No doubt I'll have one off you after I've paid for teh new computer (ie in about a month :( ) The outer barrel I was telling yoo bout really is offensive btw

[edit] For the parts/labour, 50 bar aint bad at all.

:zorro:

Archived