One Can Never Have Too Much Ammo

Murph

I'm starting this thread as a spilt off of a dicussion that was starting here:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...&start=1480

About how many mags people carry, think is necessary, etc.

I stated I use either 9 M4 Hicaps (9x350=3150) or 5 AK hicaps + 1 drum (5x500 + 3000 = 5500)

I know with the M4 hicaps and playing recently with them after the end of a long day of skirming I'm running pretty dry. I don't reload in between games typically. I play in decently dense woods typically. However, I can often can see someone before they're in range. I spend most of my ammo on surpressive fire.

Anyway... I'd rather have all that ammo and not need it, then be stuck out in the field wishing I had it.

What about everyone else?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh me first

For weekend games i get by find with 5 Marui Standards(70rnd), i usually dont go through more than 3 per scenario, and i carry a loader to reload them between(takes about 30seconds per mag) matches.

For a big all day long game, i would have to fill out my vest with 8 110rnd mags.

i carry as many lowcaps as i can/have. last scenario i had 14 20-round G3 lowcaps and two speedloaders.

Im probably about to move over to the 20 rounders myself, what do you carry them in/on i dont know that i have enough room for pouches on my vest lol

I use 9 Star M16/M4 30-rounders (1 of the box of ten didn't work) and one hi-cap for emergency use (only used it once in the 4 months I have been playing like this). Individual games rarely go longer than 60-90 minutes, and I just reload in between games.

Full dump pouch and one mag left FTW!!!

replying to azulsky: last game i had an ALICE rig with 3 ALICE pouches on each side and a dump pouch in the back. each ALICE pouch holds 2 G3 mags as they are made for 3 M16 mags. (edit: i think it was only 13 mags total) and suspenders. i have 6 alice pouches i don't need if you want them.

I carry 8 MAG midcaps in my rig and one in the gun. I have on occasion at larger games swapped two mids for two hicaps.

I use all the mags before I sit down and reload and can usually play the whole morning (8:30 - 12:00) before I have to do that. Sometimes I'll top off a mag or two if I feel like I am going to run out that round.

I switch pretty often between SAW gunner and rifleman roles. My SAW setup consists of just one box mag, with a SAW pouch dedicated entirely to BB 4 or 5 BB bags. I've had my SAW for almost 2 years and I still can't understand why people carry around more than 1 box mag (other than wanting realism). It takes longer to swap out another box mag than it does to just pop off the side plate and poor a whole BB bag in.

When I run rifleman setup I usually only take 7 or 8 midcap (100 rds) mags into the field. That will last me a good 3-5 hours without having to grab the speed loader. I find I get more kills with my low-ammo cap rifleman setup than I do sending thousands of rounds downrange as a gunner.

There is no need for that much ammunition. Even for suppressive fire. At that point you're literally being a jerk. Its completely unnecessary for MilSim. You might want to start playing Paintball.

I've pretty much made all of my points in the other thread. No need to restate them here. One last final statement though. The thing about having it, and not needing it. You need to learn to conserve ammunition, thats half of the fun of airsoft. Anyone can put enough downrange to hit something. It takes tactics, aiming, and everything that MilSim. No offense, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people refused to play with you if thats what you do.

(I am talking to Murph, everyone else your load-outs are fine.)

There is no need for that much ammunition. Even for suppressive fire. At that point you're literally being a jerk. Its completely unnecessary for MilSim. You might want to start playing Paintball.

I've pretty much made all of my points in the other thread. No need to restate them here. One last final statement though. The thing about having it, and not needing it. You need to learn to conserve ammunition, thats half of the fun of airsoft. Anyone can put enough downrange to hit something. It takes tactics, aiming, and everything that MilSim. No offense, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people refused to play with you if thats what you do.

Yeah, after your initial comment I had a feeling I was going to get flamed. :flamed:

Believe it or not, a lot of people play with me. While I do get a few comments from time to time about having that much, I've never had anyone say I can't / not allowed. I'm by far not the worse "offender" either. There are guys I know packing 16 highs. When it gets like that it really becomes and arms race. I know in Ohio most players / events are completely against hicaps, in New York nearly half of everyone had a drum mag of some sort, so I personally think it's a regional thing.

I think I read that nearly everyone with mid and lows has a speed loader and uses it regularly through out the day. I carry all my ammo needs in one shot and don't have to worry about putzing around in the field trying to reload mags under fire, etc. As far as tactics and movement are concerned I'm sure there are a few people here that have played with me over the years that can attest to my prowless in those departments, despite what you might think I'm not a "BB Spamming Airsoft Rambo"

I'm not trying to advocate the use of hicaps or anything. That's just what works for me and the games I'm in. More power to the people who like to use only a few lows/mids.

thats being a bit harsh, theres more to airsoft than just milsim. I know at the site i play at, most people use 3 or more highcaps, many use drum mags, i think theres only 3 who dont. its personal preference, and its best not to force your views on people, otherwise you're "literally being a jerk".

My ammo usage varies depending on the gun im using, if im using one of my AK74's, ill use 2 highcaps and 8 mids. thats 1800 rnds. for my AK's i actually own 5 highcaps and 10 mids. I usually end up using around 2 midcaps in a game.

If im using an armalite its usually 2 highcaps and 12 midcaps so 1900 rnds, i actually own 3 highcaps and 28 mid caps.

lol Murph...regional.

I am in NY, and I usually run with as many hicaps as I own for the given gun. Or a drum or box. Plus a bag of loose bb's.

Sometimes I shoot a lot. Sometimes, not so much. Either way, reloading empty mags is best left for respawn.

Heheh I'm glad you posted... I use to play with all the same guys you do. Mike, Wookie, Andy, TDS, etc. It was hicaps or get owned.

There are guys I know packing 16 highs. When it gets like that it really becomes and arms race.

Having more ammunition does not make anyone a better or any more unbeatable player.

Well, I know in my region often events have a set amount of ammunition you're allowed to carry. Its usually like 800 rounds in any configuration with no loose BBs. Of course SAWs are higher, and Snipers are lower.

Also, Jaager what kind of American would I be if I didn't force my views on others. (Of course that is a joke. America is one of the most tolerant Nation's in the world. We love every body, there are just a few bad apple's.)

I carry 10 STAR lowcaps and a TM 68 rounder for my M4 ~368 rounds. For my AK I carry the stock 300 rounder, MAG AK74 middie, and I used to have a TM 70 rounder but it dissapeared last skirmish. And my M14 I have 470 rounder and 80 rounder (still need about 4 more middies though). Plus a M4 mag type speed loader and a 1000 round bottle feeder.

I'm looking at buying a KA 600 rounder for my AK. And replacing my STAR lowcaps with STAR 105 rounders. Simply not enough ammo when compared to my freinds who run highcaps. When I do have to reload I put the last loaded mag I saved for this time in the gun and set it next to me when I reload the rest and have my buddy cover me.

When I use my mp5 I carry 7 hicaps, 6 in the vest + 1 in the gun. for my JG SVD I only have one ak shorty hicap mag (all I need, may get another 1 or 2 though) and I currently only got 2 hicaps for my M16 but plan on getting more (waiting for a deal on the forums :P)

MP5 = 1400 bb's

M16 = 600 bb's

JG SVD = 250rds

I carry 6 M4 MAG midcaps in my second line, 2 G&P VN midcaps in my first line plus one G&P normal 130 rounder in my gun. If I wanna go milsim I just load all the mags with 34 bbs (yeah, the Nam mags get 34 aswell [4 bbs don't feed into the gun]). When playing with the mags at full capacity I don't carry speedloaders, that way, if I ran out of ammo, I¡ll know I fired too much. If I'm being 1337 hardcore h4x milsim I carry just 2 speedloaders (that would make for the 200 extra rounds in my pack).

Archived