KWA M9 Old vs. New

allizard

I wrote this for a Airsoft-Barracks. Thought I will share this with you guys...

-------------------------

I finally got off my lazy *albartroth* and took some pictures between the old M9 and the new M9 PTP. This is a comparison review only. If you want to know the different between the old M9 vs. the new M9, you are at the right place. Otherwise, for a detail review on the M9 PTP look somewhere else (or look here sometime soon).

Introduction

KWA is very well known for their GBB series. Especially their M series (*Ahem* Glock or the G series) Their M9 is a little less known in my opinion as there are quite a few competitors in the GBB market. From the lower tier like KJW, HFC to the upper tier like KSC, TM and WA. Many of of you will probably say... wait a sec, isn’t KSC is the same as KWA? Well, the answer is “Same, but Different”. KSC isn’t KWA, different company and different owner. However, KSC contracted KWA to make some of their guns. Simply put, KWA is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for many KSC products. Confused?! Took me a few years to figure that out.

KWA recently entered the professional training market and they have retooled their manufacturing process, redesigned some of their existing product line, and have even developed a few AEGs of their own. Their target customers are Law Enforcement, Military and Professional Training Organizations. The latest M9 designated as PTP (Professional Training Pistol) is just a first example of what they are designing for the airsoft market.

As I have mentioned before, the original KWA M9 isn’t new, it has been on market for quite sometime. Honestly, the original is not very impressive, ABS body/slide, and it’s sub-par performance compared to some of the lower tier manufacturers. The new M9 PTP; however, is a world apart in terms of performance.

Before I get to the comparison, there are few M9 variants that I know have existed in the consumer marketplace.

Original Blow Back system

M9 with a ABS frame and ABS slide - Original

M9 with a ABS frame and Metal slide - Hybrid

New Blow Back system

M9 with a ABS frame and Metal slide - Hybrid

M9 with a Metal frame and Metal slide - PTP

This comparison review is base on the Original ABS frame and ABS slide model, and the new PTP (metal frame and slide). The two hybrids can cause some confusion in the market as both have metal slide. After reading this review you will be able to tell which blow back system is in your KWA M9.

Old vs. New - External

- Magazine

Let’s start with the magazine first. The PTP magazine has been redesigned to accommodate the new blow back system. They are not interchangeable between the old and new gas system. See pictures below.

Left Original M9, Right M9 PTP

IMG_9216-vi.jpg

IMG_9217-vi.jpg

PTP mag have an exposed spring in the BB housing.

IMG_9218-vi.jpg

Notice the Original has wider feed lips.

IMG_9219-vi.jpg

Another difference between the Original and the PTP is the fill valve. The PTP has an o-ring around it so it’s more quiet when filling up the gas. And when it’s full it won’t spill over like the Original does.

- The Gun

Moving on to the gun. Externaly, both the original and PTP look exactly the same, there are no markings anywhere on the gun, so there are no external clues to tell the difference between the two. However, the PTP is definitely more hefty.

IMG_9212-vi.jpg

IMG_9213-vi.jpg

Once you rack the slide back, you can tell there is a different immediately.

Top right M9 Original, Bottom left M9 PTP

IMG_9214-vi.jpg

IMG_9215-vi.jpg

The Original M9 has a long metal nozzle, like their USP model. The PTP on the other hand uses am ABS nozzle, very similar to a TM Hi-capa.

Old vs. New - Weight distribution

M9 PTP + Mag

IMG_9251-vi.jpg

Net weight 2 lb 5 oz

M9 Original + Mag

IMG_9252-vi.jpg

Net weight 1 lb 13 oz

M9 PTP Frame

IMG_9256-vi.jpg

M9 Original Frame

IMG_9255-vi.jpg

M9 PTP Slide

IMG_9258-vi.jpg

M9 Original Slide

IMG_9257-vi.jpg

As you can see, the fame weight is very different. However, the slide is only a 1/2 oz lighter. And don’t forget the Original slide is ABS, the PTP uses a metal slide. The two slides have a similar weight, but the PTP's metal slide is extremely rigid. That’s one of the main reasons a good metal slide is extremely important.

Old vs. New - Internal

- Frame

At first glance they look exactly the same as well, the measurements are even the same. You can swap the slide between the guns and it will fit.

IMG_9232-vi.jpg

IMG_9260-vi.jpg

However take a close look above the trigger area, near the magazine feeding area, you can see that the PTP has a notch, where the original does not.

IMG_9260-vi.jpg

- Slide

Underneath the slide, you can see the difference between the two blow back systems.

Top M9 Original, Bottom M9 PTP

IMG_9222-vi.jpg

IMG_9221-vi.jpg

Pulling the nozzle out shows the piston.

M9 Original

IMG_9231-vi.jpg

M9 PTP

IMG_9229-vi.jpg

There is a orange color o-ring around the piston on the PTP. I didn’t remove the beech and completely disassemble the blow back unit. On first impression the new PTP gas system is very similar to Hi-capa.

- Outer Barrel

Both M9s use am ABS plastic outer barrel. According to KWA, it causes less stress on the barrel and the slide over using a metal outer barrel. I’m not sure if it’s true, but I don't have a personal preference in this matter.

Top M9 Original, Bottom, M9 PTP

IMG_9224-vi.jpg

Old vs. New - FPS

Here is the fun part. Using a Madbull Chronograph, Airsoft Elite .20g, outside, with an average temperature of 67 degrees, around 5:30 pm. The Sun was almost set, and it was starting to cool down.

IMG_9237-vi.jpg

The PTP is first

IMG_9239-vi.jpg

IMG_9240-vi.jpg

IMG_9241-vi.jpg

IMG_9242-vi.jpg

IMG_9243-vi.jpg

Average of 344 FPS, quite impressive for outdoors and temps below 67 degree. Makes me wonder what the FPS will be like in the hot summer days.

The Original is second

IMG_9244-vi.jpg

IMG_9246-vi.jpg

IMG_9247-vi.jpg

IMG_9247-vi.jpg

IMG_9245-vi.jpg

An average 282 FPS, that is a whopping 60 fps difference between the Original and PTP gas system. There is absolutely no doubt that the PTP shoots much harder than the original design.

In Summary

Both guns looks the same externaly, but it’s completely different internally and in terms of performance. From the weight, nozzle, blow back system to FPS. It’s like a whole new gun. Personally, I think if the M9 had trademarks (KSC?) it would probably out last and out perform the TM. I’ll be interested to find a TM and WA for comparison but for now I’m really enjoying shooting the PTP.

Well to answer question on blow back. I have owned both the old and the new. I sold my old one FOR the new one back when it first came out haha. So I sold it to one of my friends and one day we were checking out the recoil difference. I already knew which was better the first day I fired the PTP but I wanted to compare it so no one could say anything. The old one has a slight sluggish feeling to me(probably because I'm used to new one). The new one I use it amazing on blowback. The first time I fired it at home my mouth dropped from how hard it hit. I never expected it to recoil that much for a stock gas gun. If you fired it constantly in a big burst you would have to hold it REALLY steady to stay accurate. It seriosuly blows back hard. And I'm talking about this on a hot 80-90 degree day. I also chronoed my new one on a cold day like him about 60 degrees and it came out highest of 350ish and I didn't use a fully gased mag. It ran out after a couple shots. I seriosuly wonder how it will be for me on a hot day with a full mag.

Another comparison. I have a nephew with a TM 1911(cant cal it TM). It's compelety upgraded. All internals and externals. It's even a new body kit. He has it upgraded for higher recoil and mines is shooting on par with his recoil. This PTP is seriously my life. I can't go on a match without her in my holster. She is my life line =P

Jesus!! Can it get any more confusing? Well I guess it makes sense, releasing it as a trade-less KWA in the US to avoid all the trademark-trouble... huh, well. Thanks for info!! Ouch, damn thing is pretty expensive.. oh well. Now to raep my credit card. :o

I just fondled the M9 KSC Full metal new version..

NUTS! that felt great... far nicer than the new KJW M9.

No slide rattle.. the only movement was the magazine in the well.

I was rather impressed.

Utty... droolage.. pure droolage.

I even thought that colour of the KSC was rather spiffing in the form of the colouring - it seemed as though it were parkerised! :D

Just slap some Beretta grips on, or perhaps a monogrip.. and it would be even nicer. :)

Archived