How to modify a real VLTOR MOD/EMOD Stock

uscmCorps

This all started by my love for VLTOR MOD and EMOD Stocks, but they were made to hold CR123 and AA batteries... not AEG batteries. I was getting pretty tired of using Crane Stocks with my G&P M4s, and in the Armalite Picture Thread I saw one of DaveDawg's M4s that used a VLTOR MOD Stock with AEG Batteries. Dave very kindly shared with us that he had CheapBatteryPacks.com create some custom batteries for him and he modified the MOD Stock to use those batteries.

Dave provided us with two essential diagrams:

This is the diagram that he sent to CheapBatteryPacks.com to have him make some custom batteries:

vltorbatterymodei9.th.jpg

This is the diagram he used to illustrate the mod he did to the stock to make it work:

vltormodstockcutex7ev2.th.jpg

I ordered four sets of the batteries from CheapBatteryPacks.com, and had 3 stocks, a Basic VLTOR MOD Stock in black, another in FDE, and a EMOD Stock in FDE all needing to be converted.

Before I got around to doing the conversion, King Arms released a replica Clubfoot MOD Stock that held batteries. I bought one to see how they modified it, repeated the process on my stocks and generated the tutorial you see in this thread.

TUTORIAL: How to Modify a real VLTOR MOD or EMOD Stock to accept AEG batteries.

Once you've got your custom batteries from CheapBatteryPacks.com, you'll need to modify the VLTOR Stocks to accept it. I'll start with the MOD Stock conversion.

MOD Stock Conversion:

Step 1:

You'll need to cut a window in either side of the MOD Stock to allow one stick of the battery to pass through it. I cut a larger window than Dave did, mostly because I was replicating what KingArms did with theirs. I used a Sharpie to mark out the area to be cut, then used a Dremel rotary tool to remove the window. In the diagram below, you'll notice there are two separate sections I removed. One was for the battery, the second smaller window was because the KingArms stock uses a plug that appears to be the end of a buffer tube that conceals the exposed wires inside. I had planned to use the fake buffer tube plug on my real MOD Stock, so I kept that cut out (more about this later). However, if you have no intention of using any kind of buffer tube plug, you can cut the larger window further back.

Left Side -

modstockaegtutorial03bb2.gif

Right Side -

modstockaegtutorial02yy8.jpg

The resulting cut outs should look like this:

modstockaegtutorial04hy3.jpg

Step 2:

The next step is to cut out the slot in the battery tubes to allow for the wiring.

You're going to want to cut this section out:

modstockaegtutorial05auw7.jpg

Here's how I measured where to make the cuts (the animation loops, please be patient):

modstockaegtutorial05bna6.gif

The resulting cut outs should look like this:

modstockaegtutorial06yx4.jpg

Step 3:

It can be a little easier to install one of tubes on the battery first:

modstockaegtutorial07xh9.jpg

Remember to slide the battery in, wire end first.

Do not install it like this:

modstockaegtutorial08la8.jpg

* Please note: the batteries are a very tight fit in the tubes. Putting the batteries into the tubes typically isn't a problem. When taking the batteries out of the tubes some care should be taken so as not to damage the wires by excessive pulling. My solution is to try and spread the sides of the window apart slightly so that the hold on the battery is a little less tight.

Step 4:

Then thread the other half of the battery through the center of the MOD Stock:

modstockaegtutorial09bjv8.jpg

Step 5:

Install the other tube on the opposite half of the battery:

modstockaegtutorial10jj8.jpg

You can also add the caps to the tubes now.

Step 6:

As I mentioned eariler in the tutorial, I like to use the fake buffer tube end cap that I got from my King Arms stock. The plug looks like this:

modstockaegtutorial11ik4.jpg

Here's another pic.

When installed on the back of the Stock it looks like this:

modstockaegtutorial13mh5.jpg

doesn't look perfect, but it's better than nothing. It looks a lot better on the black stocks.

Step 7:

Close up both sides of the stock with the tubes. Take care to ensure that no wires are pinched/sandwiched by the tubes.

When closed up, the modifications, wires, and batteries should not be visible:

modstockaegtutorial17rj7.jpg

Step 8:

Add the bolt and nut that holds the entire thing together and you're set:

modstockaegtutorial16bw0.jpg

FINISHED!

Once the conversion is done, all the parts in the MOD Stock kit should look like this:

modstockaegtutorial01smeu0.jpg

( Click pic for larger version ).

Here's what the MOD Stock looks like when installed onto a Armalite style rifle:

modstockaegtutorial18smth5.jpg

*** Need to make an amendment to this tutorial.

I found that the windows in the side of the MOD Stock tended to sandwich the wires in such a way that the tubes didn't fully close in. So I extended the back/bottom of the window. The fake buffer tube end cap's clips still work and now the wires aren't sandwiched at all:

modstockaegtutorial19nh3.jpg

modstockaegtutorial20ec8.jpg

EMOD Stock Conversion:

The Enhanced MOD Stock (aka, the EMOD Stock) is very similar to the regular MOD Stock except it's a bit longer and has a rubber pad bolted onto the rear of it. This rubber pad is awesome because it allows for better shouldering of the weapon, but also, it covers up any wires visible from the rear thereby avoiding the need for any fake buffer tube end cap.

The airsoft aftermarket parts manufacturer, Element, just released what appears to be an exact copy of the EMOD Stock which still has the VLTOR trademarks. They're available in all three colors: Black, OD Green, and FDE (Tan). So now there is a cheaper alternative for those on a budget. I haven't seen the replica first hand, but if it is the same as the real one, this tutorial should work for it as well.

Step 1:

Mark out how big a window you will need to cut out on either die of the EMOD Stock.

Right Side -

emodstockaegtutorial02jy0.gif

Left Side -

emodstockaegtutorial03ep4.gif

When cut out, it should look like this:

emodstockaegtutorial04mr7.jpg

Step 2:

Cutting out the windows in the battery tubes is essentially the same process as that which is done for the regular MOD Stock tubes... just a longer window. Look above in the previous tutorial, or refer to this pic.

emodstockaegtutorial06aob5.gif

The cut outs should look like this:

emodstockaegtutorial06bkm1.jpg

I cut the windows all the way to the end just in case I ever wanted to go with a custom 10.8V battery instead of my custom 9.6V batteries from CheapBatteryPacks.com.

Step 3:

Insert the batteries through the window of the EMOD stock so that one half of the battery lies on either side of the stock, with the connector in the center of the stock.

emodstockaegtutorial07rv0.jpg

Step 4:

Then install the battery tubes onto either half of the battery, and install the tube caps.

emodstockaegtutorial08le2.jpg

* Remember when installing the tubes, the wire end goes in first.

Step 5:

Close up the tubes.

emodstockaegtutorial09tg1.jpg

Step 6:

Bolt up the Stock.

emodstockaegtutorial10qx4.jpg

FINISHED!

Once the conversion is done, all the parts in the EMOD Stock kit should look like this:

emodstockaegtutorial01vs4.jpg

Here's what the EMOD Stock looks like when installed onto an Armalite style rifle:

emodstockaegtutorial11swe5.jpg

And that's it. I hope these tutorials were useful to everyone. Please note that the proper precautions should be taken when using any kind of tools (I know I shouldn't have to say that, but I'd feel bad if someone injured themselves over trying this). Also remember that when using a Dremel or any rotary tool on plastic you have the tendency to generate unhealthy fumes from the plastic, flying fragments of plastic, and plastic dust. You need to protect your eyes, lungs and ears. I typically use some sort of face shield (a paintball face mask works well), a dust/particulate mask (so that I don't suck in any bad stuff) and hearing protection, all at the same time. A little overkill perhaps, but it lets me work unharmed for hours on end. :)

Good luck to you, and if you have any suggestions or comments, please let me know! ;)

Hey USMCOrps! Nice to see the guide turned out well! I am going to be placing an order at cheap batterypacks and WGCshop.com today, so I can get mine rifle all fixed up! Anyway, I was wondering, Do you have a milspec dimensioned EMOD? Does it fit on the king arms buffer tube? Or what buffer/stock tube are you using at the moment?

Thanks!

I want a picture of your protection setup. :P

Haha... I'll see what I can do. ;)

Anyway, I was wondering, Do you have a milspec dimensioned EMOD? Does it fit on the king arms buffer tube? Or what buffer/stock tube are you using at the moment?

The EMOD Stock is a MilSpec one. It fits fine on G&P and TM buffer tubes. Not sure what the specs are on the King Arms buffer tube but they work fine on the King Arms buffer tube that came with the kit.

Well king arms stocks fit on all their buffer tubes, because on WGC, the product description says intended for use with king arms stocks, with references to non-battery holding Mod stocks, so I assume it will fit.. DO you know anywhere I could find just a Tokyo MArui, or G&P buffer tube on its own, that is instock?

Thanks!

http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/ka_acc_m405b.jpg

- Number marking on stock tube. Marking shows through opening on stock.

- Includes caps for fitting 6 Position Stock / MOD Stock

- Suitable for M4 Series

these are the specs found on the king arms buffer tube...

I am hoping it will fit, as it is the only one they have...

http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/ka_acc_m405b.jpg

*snip*

these are the specs found on the king arms buffer tube...

I am hoping it will fit, as it is the only one they have...

It should work, however, because of the battery wires the length of the buffer tube will need to be cut shorter, or you will have to cut slots on the sides of the buffer tube to accommodate the wires. If left unmodified, that King Arms buffer tube will prevent your stock from collapsing by 1/3, or worse yet... you'll slice your wires. :mellow:

The King Arms buffer tube you've linked to is not entirely the same as that of the King Arms buffer tube in the MOD stock kit and needs to be modified.

That's a nice rifle, I like it.

You mean my LMT MRP?

Yeah I was going to mod it to look like the G&P crane stock tubes anyway, so thats fine... Its whether it will fit my Stock that I am worried about... I sent WGC support an email about it, but that means my order will be postponed yet again, oh well.... But at least I will know beyond any shadow of a doubt... There is one other foolproof option, although I am nowhere near willing to take it... First Factory makes a buffer tube that DOES fit TM stocks, and WGC has it in stock... The only problem is it costs $80, nowhere near work the price, as I could get the beautiful real Vltor buffer and G&P adapter for that price... I would rather just buy a G&P crane stock, and then at least have two working stocks for something that pricey...

So if you think it will fit, I am fine, also I have claudio from Hotspotairsoft's (the owner) assurances that a king arms tube will fit (I called him up and I think he actually got a TM stock and a buffer and tried... so I am thinking it will fit...)

It should work, however, because of the battery wires the length of the buffer tube will need to be cut shorter, or you will have to cut slots on the sides of the buffer tube to accommodate the wires. If left unmodified, that King Arms buffer tube will prevent your stock from collapsing by 1/3, or worse yet... you'll slice your wires. :mellow:

The King Arms buffer tube you've linked to is not entirely the same as that of the King Arms buffer tube in the MOD stock kit and needs to be modified.

You mean my LMT MRP?

I'm not sure, but did you say the TM buffer tube is short enough to fully retract the stock without breaking the wires?

Would you have to unhook the entire buttstock in order to charge the battery? would there be a way to make it so that the battery connector can be placed right underneath the backplate like what poweredge did with their LiPo CAA mod?

I'm not familiar with what Poweredge did. It's possible to have the connector that long, but that would require rewiring... and I was too lazy for that. With the way I did mine, you'd have to remove the stock to reconnect the connectors... just like a G&P crane stock.

I'm not sure, but did you say the TM buffer tube is short enough to fully retract the stock without breaking the wires?

I'm pretty sure an unmodified TM buffer would snip the wires when fully contracted.

I'm not familiar with what Poweredge did. It's possible to have the connector that long, but that would require rewiring... and I was too lazy for that. With the way I did mine, you'd have to remove the stock to reconnect the connectors... just like a G&P crane stock.

I'm pretty sure an unmodified TM buffer would snip the wires when fully contracted.

Did you use a specific type of buffer tube in your setup that didn't need to be modded or if you modded it can you show how much shorter you had to cut it? Can you post some pics of the EMOD stock fully retracted without the batteries in place that shows how far in the buffer tube goes?

Awesome "how to"

In answer to the buffer tube question take a look at the "how to" in my sig. It shows you exactly what you need to do to the buffer tube.

Thanks man! :)

Did you use a specific type of buffer tube in your setup that didn't need to be modded or if you modded it can you show how much shorter you had to cut it? Can you post some pics of the EMOD stock fully retracted without the batteries in place that shows how far in the buffer tube goes?

All my M4s use G&P buffer tubes that were pre-cut when I bought them to accommodate the G&P crane stock batteries. The cuts in the buffer tube are essentially the same as that of what FarEast did in his tutorial.

That being said, the EMOD Stock is a bit longer than the regular MOD Stock and it's possible that you may not even need to cut the buffer tube down when used in conjunction with the EMOD.

-A

I am guessing you got these pre-cut buffers either with a stock or came with the gun, correct? If not Please inform, me where I can purchase them separately :D

I will be placing my order HOPEFULLY <_< today, as WGC finally canceled a previous order and I got some kinks sorted out... When the regular KA buffer arives I will test whether the battery wires will be okay without tube mods :)

• 1 month later...

Archived