Exclusive images of the ICS's new MP5 split gearbox!

FarEast

Well ICS are straight in there for 2008 news with the release of their new MP5 split gear box design. Owners of MP5's will know how difficult it is to break down and maintain the gear boxes on these models and ICS has worked hard in the closing months of 2007 to develop a gear box that makes this process easier.

Right now we have no other details on this, nor when it is likely to be released on to the market. But yet again it seems ICS is clearly listening to our requests and acting on them.

2008 will be a very innovative year for ICS.

So here it is:

p1130772mediumwj9.jpg

p1130766mediumpn5.jpg

p1130769mediumkh5.jpg

p1130770mediumin2.jpg

That's just an M4 gearbox stuck into an MP5.

Note how the upper gearbox has the tab on it where it's supposed to be fixed in place by the M4 receiver pin.

Look at the MP5 receiver. There's no hole in the MP5 lower for any kind of locking pin to fit into.

I assume by the time this gets into production the gearbox housing will have been modified so the upper and lower receiver are locked together by the stock pin or, alternatively, ICS will have binned the tab on the upper receiver.

I suppose, OTOH, they might be building it that way so M4 uppers are compatible but that'd mean, ummm, nothing (besides the guns shell) is holding the 2 halves of the gearbox together. :unsure:

That's just an M4 gearbox stuck into an MP5.

Note how the upper gearbox has the tab on it where it's supposed to be fixed in place by the M4 receiver pin.

Look at the MP5 receiver. There's no hole in the MP5 lower for any kind of locking pin to fit into.

I assume by the time this gets into production the gearbox housing will have been modified so the upper and lower receiver are locked together by the stock pin or, alternatively, ICS will have binned the tab on the upper receiver.

I suppose, OTOH, they might be building it that way so M4 uppers are compatible but that'd mean, ummm, nothing (besides the guns shell) is holding the 2 halves of the gearbox together. :unsure:

I think your right.

Yeah... very good point there. I don't know if the insides of the MP5 are tight enough to keep the lower and upper gearbox togeather... before that post I was exploding with glee because it is SO MUCH better then TM's way.

Theres a small list of things that if present, would have me sold faster than the last popular action figure on Christmas Eve:

- Still have the ability to fit a laser in the cocking tube

- Operation of cocking handle reveals hop adjustment

- As mentioned up thread, there is more than just the receivers holding the gearbox together

I get the feeling that the white end cap is attached to the GB M4 stylee via screw intro spring guide, so when you put the receiver together and screw the end cap on that holds everything together, perhaps not be best way of doing things but a full metal MP5 as easy to work on as their M4 line would be awesome, although I would hope ICS have moved onto using 4 'stop' bevel gears and better material in their trigger switches by now too.

if it's anything like the Army Armament R85 two piece gearbox, there will be a flange that slides the top gearbox into the bottom gearbox and the whole lot will be held by two pins. the receiver can then slide around the top gearbox and will not be a critical part in holding the unit together. i've had a lot of luck with that design (modified to M140 spring with 9.6V battery and over 10K rounds fired so far mostly in full auto).

oh and.....

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you ICS once again for showing us these designs. keep up the good work and for goodness sakes, get last year's guns out on the freeking market already. especially the L85 and the Galil!!

questions: will the new two piece gearbox fit in the old ICS MP5? how about adding the modified foregrip with the flashlight holder as a STANDARD PART? you know you want to do it....people want it.

:P

This is an excellent enhancement to the ICS MP5 range if they get it done correctly, and as Stealth said it would be good if they could have a look at the way they attach the cocking tube to the upper receiver. I have snapped one in half myself, and I know a few others who have as well. :o

Sweet...

I've always had a hankering for an ICS M4, and now this... Damn you! Why must you be so good yet so expensive? ;_;

As a former owner of a TM MP5, I can attest to how much of a pain it can be. Hell, I prefer working on the G3, even though you have to remove the smallest screw on earth that no screwdriver fits to get to the gearbox. At least the upper receiver just slides forwards out of the way, instead of being integrated to the whole shebang <_<

But, yeah. The last two of RSM's three good things would also have me sold, if only I could afford one... Don't suppose ICS or a retailer would be kind enough to donate me one for review purposes? :D

Expensive? What are you on? they are not expensive - considering the materials and the amount of R&D they do I think they are very reasonable!

MP5 - good move ICS :) They've probably used an M4 one at this stage as it's early days!

ICS I have a request; Please please please can you have a look at revising the upper gearboxes for the M4 (and now the MP5 before you go to production). The one thing I'd love to see is the removal of the top 4 small screws that hold the two halves together and replace them with some sort of sliding piece that slots over the two halves and clamps them together. This would make life sooo much easier when changing components, in which I do very often.

Thanks ICS - keep up the amazingly good work!

Scott

As a former owner of a TM MP5, I can attest to how much of a pain it can be. Hell, I prefer working on the G3, even though you have to remove the smallest screw on earth that no screwdriver fits to get to the gearbox. At least the upper receiver just slides forwards out of the way, instead of being integrated to the whole shebang <_<

Indeed.

MP5s are really one of THE most old-fashioned designs, whereby the gun is basically and MP5-shaped shell with the mechanical parts simply stuffed inside in whatever way they fit. Bit like a FAMAS or Academy L85.

Even the standard M4 is slightly more user-freindly than the MP5, although that's probably more luck than judgement.

Having an MP5 that can be properly field-stripped is definately progress.

I just wonder if there's still sufficient market for an MP5 to support the sales of these.

Expensive? What are you on? they are not expensive - considering the materials and the amount of R&D they do I think they are very reasonable!

I'm well aware that for what they are, they're a great deal. However, when you're a student with next to no income and rapidly shrinking overdraft, they're pretty damned expensive ;)

For people who AREN'T slumming heir way around, they are a damned good deal, especially if they continue the trend of listening to the community and trying to incorporate nifty things that will make them sell even better! :)

While they're at it...put another pin in the stock front to secure it better.

You know that little screw on the right side of the replica that holds in the (meh-designed) mag release? It loves to back its way out. I tighten mine all the way down after about 50 mag changes, lest the mags can be simply pulled out. eek.

Hop-up adjustment? I thought mine (AE) has a little lever to adjust hop from the outside of the replica. Doesn't the ICS have the same thing?

Split gearbox design? I won't need it, heh but others evidently do :-)

However, when you're a student with next to no income and rapidly shrinking overdraft, they're pretty damned expensive ;)

them were the days lol - it doesn't get any better though !

I mean compared to other manufactureres they are a bargain! Systema is a different world and not comparitive; but they are doing 3-round burst as well as semi and full auto - but i wont pay an extra £600 for it!

C'mon ICS lead the way - show the world again that you are the leading airsoft developer and manufacturer and give us what we want - semi, burst, full auto, split gearboxes, discrete hop up adjust, strengthened cocking tube etc. - I'll buy you all a drink, and pay the extra for these features! (Marshal telling me to shut up).

Hmm, I'd love it for the ICS M4 and MP5 upper gearboxes to be compatible/the same... I've already got a couple of M4 uppers laying around that I like to switch between, and it'd be nice not to have to buy new MP5 style uppers in order to have that same switching ability...

Probably to much to ask, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Archived