USN Combat Boarding

I used to collect "gear" and weapons related to Navy Combat Boarding. Way back when, I got the manual and thought it might be neat to assemble it...I think it was published in 1992. Now, I think it's impossible to get everything listed, but I guess I'll post up here what I was lucky enough to find. In the Navy SEAL thread, I already posted up a few items, so this is Part-3 I guess.

This one is the American Body Armor's large size tactical back-pack.

Here's a detail of an old picture showing members of Surface Action Group Charlie MAGTF 2-88. The men in the flight suits are possibly Sailors from SEAL Team 1 or 2, which was conducting boarding operations off of MSB Wimbrown 7 and Hercules, targeting suspected Iranian boats. This was taken prior to their raid on the Iranian Sassan platform, which was being used by Iran as a command and control platform to plant mines in the Persian Gulf, part of Operation Praying Mantis in 1988. The raid was retaliation for Iran's attack on the USS Samuel B. Roberts, when it struck a mine at sea. You can clearly see the large size ABA Tactical back-packs worn by the Sailors or Marines up front. I have no clue what each operator is carrying, but I think the mission was to sabotage the rig, so possibly ordnance to do so.

TacticalPack00C.jpg

The bag closes with a giant flap and there's plenty of room for all sorts of stuff. You might notice that there's really no straps to this bag! Everything closes with either Velcro or metal snaps. The manual shows how to carry the KY-57 and HST-4 SATCOM radio in this very bag. The KY-57/HST-4 are just some of the items I was never able to get my hands on. There's actually two small pockets on the side, which is perfect to carry the Motorola MX-300R radio (shown on the left pocket).

TacticalPack00A.jpg

Here's the back. As you can see, there are several drain holes on the bottom so water won't collect. Basically it was designed so you can go swimming with this back-pack on and is made from a water proof synthetic material. Again, te pack has absolutely no straps to it and attaches to your back using four FASTEX buckles (two on the shoulders and two on the waist). I believe this was to eliminate the need for straps to the front side of the body...to take off, you can just simply squeeze the buckles and comes right off. The buckles themselves are attached to the ABA Tactical Modular Vest shown below. Now you might think this will be impossible for one person to put on, but it's not. It's definitely not easy, but once you get used to it, it takes one second to attach.

TacticalPack00B.jpg

Here's the back of the US Navy ABA Tactical Vest; it's very different from ABA vests available for law enforcement and has been highly customized by the original operator who wore it. I'll post more about this unique vest later, but for now, I circled in red the FASTEX buckles that the bag attaches to. There are two more on the waist of the vest, but hard to tell on this angle.

TacticalPack00D.jpg

With the bag on. You can sort of see the buckle on the waist. My stupid model here is trying to get the buckle on his left side on. It is hard to do by yourself at first, but after a few tries, he was able to get the bag on and off in literally a second.

TacticalPack00E.jpg

More junk to come...thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ontario Mk3 knife. I'm not sure what the origin of taping the flare to the sheath, but I've seen it around so I thought it might look neat...maybe something frog men did as the cannister is good for a depth at least 20m (I think). I don't have one, but it looks like the sheath on the Mission TI-12 even has slots to tie the flare to. The handle of the knife is pretty cool and has a USN logo engraved in it. It hangs off of the LC-2 belt using old 1910 hooks.

The flare is a Pains-Wessex Day and Night Signal KC-13, also referred to as the Mk13 Mod0, and I think been around since the 70's. All aircrew carried at least two of these in a special pouch clipped to the bottom of our LPU-21's and maybe even a 3rd inside the SV-2. The manual says operators typically carried no less than one of these. The surface of the cannister has these braille dots to show which side is day should the label fall off...the day end shoots a giant orange cloud while the night end is very similar to a Roman candle. I think modern SEALs now carry the Mk124 or Mk4?

Mk13Mk3.jpg

More to come...

God that makes me miss my old Mk3 (lost it when I was moving back from Newport in the 90's)... I'm looking at the scar on my finger from the time I forgot how sharp the "hook" on the back of the blade was and tried to use it to pry something... :D

Thanks for the memories ;)

Here's a quick pic of what Jimisin is talking about...the knife has a sharpened "hook" to it at the point. I don't know much about knives and really no idea what the purpose of the hook shape was.

Mk13Mk3_1.jpg

Here's one of a few customized pieces that I have. The vest has no tags on it and was in pretty awful shape (it has been restored...I replaced all the elastic on the sides, some of the Velcro, and a LOT of the stitching, among other things). I've found very little information about this vest, but form my understanding was an Armor of America TP-1E, modified by the original user to serve as an "armored" BCV, possibly by UDT. It is nearly identical to the one pictured in the manual so I decided to pick it up (the overall cut of the vest is a bit different). The entire back contains a black rubberized flotation bladder that is orally inflated...I'm not certain, but it DOES appear that it once had a CO2 device attached to it, but the entire assembly is missing (a valve is all that remains). The back pocket has also been modified to pass an air hose that I guess was used to add additional air to enflate the bladder.

tp1e_a.jpg

The outside is made of Cordura like material and is not black, but has a bit more bluish tint to it (it did not photograph very well). The original ballistic material was intact and was told it is not Kevlar, but SPECTRA armor (it has a yellowish tint to it). The original armor plate was missing so I added a fake plate so it has a better shape to it, but the vest is awfully heavy. It's hard to tell, but the front is beginning to tear open from the edge of the plate that was in it. On the right shoulder is a valve that is used to help inflate the flotation bladder carried on the back. It is rather annoying to have as it makes it a bit difficult to shoulder the stock.

tp1e_b.jpg

More to come!

Here's a quick picture of everything...

DSCF0004-1.jpg

The mask is actually a 2A/P which has a voice amplifier device attached to the nose, which makes it a lot longer than a regular gas mask. It's fun to play with as it modified your voice to sound like Darth Vader. The helmet is a modified US Navy deck crew helmet, called a C2 Element Communicator's helmet. This version I have had only one plug that fit the MX-300R radio in the back pack. The version on the manual shows it having two plugs...one to the MX-300R and one to the HST-4 SATCOM.

Look...it's Fone Bone!

DSCF0007.jpg

More to come I guess...

Thanks for the comments!

No, this load out is VERY impractical for airsoft games. The problem is most all of the equipment is outdated compared to modern standards and a bit heavy (I personally think it looks much cooler with all different customizations :) ). Also, I would say almost 90% of the items are things you don't really need for airsoft. Most all of the items are protective, survival, and escape/evasion related. For standard load-out the manual lists about 40 items and only items that are "weapons" are the primary (sub gun), secondary (9mm), x3 secondary magazine, x7 primary magazines, x1 Mk3A2 (grenade), x3 M116A1 (flash/crash grenade), and x1 M7A2 (CS Grenade). The manual does list other load outs (e.g. Breacher, Sniper, etc...) where the type of weapons differ significantly.

Speaking of outdated...communication equipment; the manual lists two basic radios for every standard CQB Operational load out...the ubiquitous Motorola MX300R and PRC-112 emergency distress beacon/radio. I was able to find a PRC-112 for sale, but even though they are out dated (replaced by the GPIRB), they are still VERY expensive. So I basically got my hands on what the PRC-112 replaced...the US Navy PRC-90/2 distress beacon.

I think PRC-90's were first issued to Navy flight crews in the late 60's. There was an old movies that depicted Vietcong/NVA taking these radio's from downed American aviators to draw in SAR teams for ambush...I believe this is based on a true story. This radio is a very simple design and broadcasts an unencrypted "tone" across the SAR frequency. It also has voice communication on a separate channel. Like the MX300R, this radio is submersible, so who knows...maybe they were still in use for Combat Boarding in the late 80's early 90's (flight crews did have them). The Motorola MX300R I guess is the standard "portable" (it is HUGE) radio for many operators of the time...this version was in great condition with most of the rubber coating intact and came with a working battery that held a charge. It is very different from the MX300; I guess the "R" stands for "ruggedized"?

radios.jpg

The American Body Armor Radio Pouch made specifically for the MX300R. The pouch was modified by the original operator and sewn directly onto the back of the ABA vest, on the left side. The famous ABA tag and belt loops can still be seen from the back.

mx300r_pouch.jpg

The American Body Armor Utility Pouch...again, modified by the operator and sewn directly onto the back on the right side. There are no belt loops on the back of the pouch, but a strip of rough velcro. I believe they were originally designed to attach onto the top of the ABA drop leg panel (which I'll try to post later). The pouch is huge and can fit not only the PRC-90 with the antenna folded, but other items such as the signal kit and spare batteries for the beacon and SDU-5 (I'll try to post those later too).

prc90_pouch.jpg

Finally, check out VinnyGT19's EXCELLENT post regarding the MX-300R and a great guide to buying them HERE.

More to come...

Hi there!

That's a really interesting thread!

This is a USN SEAL VBSS unit loadout I use to skirmish with from time to time. I would have to agree that it is a rather impractical kit to use in airsoft games due to the many ''layers'' (body armor, flotation vest, ABA vest) the user have to utilize.

I know it's far from perfect but it's an attempt...

post-36371-1201286085_thumb.jpg

I remember reading in a Navy SEAL's weapons book that said "the Mk3 was modeled after the ak-47 bayonet and the tip is shaped like that for easier penetration into the human body". It also said that " some SEALs dislike this knife because the tip was too weak for prying and would break".

I'll read the book again and check but I'm pretty sure that is why the weapon was shaped like that... so don't stake your life on this info.

I know it's far from perfect but it's an attempt...

It looks good to me! Maybe a few things I would change, but looks good overall. Do you have a TL-99 there or the G&G replica? Mine is a replica...I used to have the Streamlight MP5SD BEAM, but was just way too heavy.

I remember reading in a Navy SEAL's weapons book that said "the Mk3 was modeled after the ak-47 bayonet and the tip is shaped like that for easier penetration into the human body". It also said that " some SEALs dislike this knife because the tip was too weak for prying and would break".

I think that makes sense...it does resemble an AK bayonet! Also, I can see how the tip can easily break...compared to modern knives it isn't the greatest. Does your book only list weapons or gear as well? Any information on the buoyancy compensating device/TP-1E?

Yeah, I guess most of that stuff would be superfluous for gaming. If you could entertain me with a hypothetical, what bits would you use to keep the 'look' of the loadout and make it functional for 'softing? And where would one find an ABA vest like that ((Assuming that one could now))?

I think the ABA gear really completes the "look". All you would really need is the vest, holster, and thigh rig.

Genuine ABA gear might be tough to come by these days, but do see them on eBay once in a while. There are replicas of the original ABA tactical equipment made. For example, Eagle's TACV1N vest is based off of the original ABA design so it'll be a good replacement. They also make a nice sub-gun magazine pouch for the thigh. The Blackhawk nylon Special Operations holster is also the same design as the original ABA tactical holster. They are not 100% identical, but look very similar.

A flight suit will also help (CWU-27 or an FRP-4, which is much cheaper), but was not always used. 6 color desert BDU's will also work as well. I think a good shot or sub-gun would be key. Uzi 9mm or any MP5.

See, that's all you really need...don't even need a helmet:

seals06.jpg

Speaking of superfluous, here's the 2AP mask. I'm not sure of all the differences between the standard 2P mask, but the AP has a giant voice amplifier device connected to the face (marked OCC) to help the operator communicate more clearly. The voice amp is a simple mic inside the mask (right under the drinking tube) that wires into a speaker (the speaker can be easily detached and held onto the mask by two small plastic clamps). The entire unit is powered by a 9v battery. A small push to talk button is on the side to switch the mic on/off. When buying a mask, it might be best to get a new and unissued one. This one came with the decontamination kit, mask, two shields (one clear, one shaded), bag, manual, and 2 C2 filters.

mcu2ap.jpg

Here's the decontamination kit. Not really sure how it works. The kit contains a chemical hood, a set of protective gloves and socks (almost like giant goulashes), and a set of chemical wipes.

deconKit.jpg

I'm not really sure when the MCU-2's were first started to be used. I think a M17A1 might be a more accurate representation, but you never know:

50382540.jpg

More junk to come...

• 2 weeks later...

All the exciting posts are in the Navy SEAL thread... :)

This is the drop leg style ABA Tactical pouch that is shown on pg. 62 of the Manual...the "Flash-Crash" pouch. Each pocket can can hold one .223 rifle magazine, one Mk3A2, or two M116A1s. The soft velcro strip on the top is used to attach the utility pouch, but that is sewn directly onto the back of the vest (shown above) so theres nothing really to put there.

flash-crash-01.jpg

The manual lists three types of hand grenades to carry for each assault team member: one M7A3 Riot Control Hand Grenade (CS Gas), one MKIIIA2 Offensive Concussion Hand Grenade, and three M116A1 "Flash-Crash" Grenades (Navy SEALS M116A1's apparently had different fuses and were referred to as flash-crash grenades as they could be lethal...I guess these were originally designed to be non-lethal grenade simulators). The pouch is actually too small to hold the M7A3 but holds the others two types perfectly. The Grenades are of course dummy replicas made by a Japanese company called Aggressor Group (these are great...they actually go as far as replicate the M206 and M201 fuze labels on top). I think GB-Tech also made a limited amount of them that doubled as gas chargers.

flash-crash-02.jpg

Here's the back. Almost all ABA Tactical Equipment comes with their famous red-white-blue label. I never did figure out what the number tag represents...some say size, some say model...maybe both?...who knows.

flash-crash-back.jpg

Up next, pg. 64...

This piece isn't really part of the manual, but thought it was interesting...this is the old SRU-40B/P (now replaced by the SEA or HABD-II). These were issued to all US Navy flight crew since the 80's (non-ejection seat aircraft) and part of SV-2B, long before they were seen in use by USMC-MSPF. I believe they are officially part of FSBE and FSBE-II, although I can't say for sure as I don't know too much about it.

Before anyone "officially" became flight crew, we went through training to escape a ditched helicopter completely submerged in water. The theory was, if you weren't killed or unconscious from the impact, the pilot should have ditched the helicopter side ways so the rotors will stop once they slam into the water (or at least slow down so they won't kill you). Once sideways, the cabin will rapidly fill with water, then swim out of the wreck, clear the wreck, and fire our LPU-21's (that's the reason why we didn't use LPU-23's...if an LPU auto inflated, it will prevent escape from a submerged wreck and will kill you). These air bottles were supposed to give us extra seconds needed before we drowned. I think we had do this in 3 min, but I don't remember exactly with all the brain damage I suffered.

habd.jpg

Even though its not part of the manual, the SRU-40 or SRU-36 was mandatory for all pilots, aircrew, and passenger in a Navy helicopter (back in the late 80's early 90's).

This is an OLD old pic of yours truly. Kind of hard to see, but that little white rubbery thing on my lower right chest is the mouth piece for the SRU-36. The SV-2B had a special pocket sewn in to carry the air bottle. I spent most of the time on the ground, which is the way I liked it. You can see I'm having a hard time with the Rams horn non-sense...

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Woohoo! On the back of the Photo I wrote, Anderson AFB 1992...I have NO clue why I was there. I thought by 1993 we all used low vis.

Untitled-1.jpg

Used in conjunction with the SRU-40B/P, is the US Navy LPU-21C/P, required for all non-ejecting seat aircraft. The LPU-21 is also not listed in the manual, but it appears that it was commonly used by boarding teams in place of the cumbersome UDT life vest.

50382580.jpg

Mine is in the configuration you would typically see for aircrew (in the photo above, you don't see the dye marker and flare pouch). The LPU-21 was replaced by the manual LPU-34, so for all you Force Recon reenactor, the collar you want is the 34. The auto 36 used only with ejection seats. The LPU is pretty straight forward to operate...just pull the beaded handles on the waist to fire 2 CO2 bottles. The air travels up the back to fill the horse collar bladders. There's also a breathing tube to manually add air to it. The cool thing about these LPU's is that the horse-collar design allowed for your head always to remain above water (the bladders are configured in a way to make your body upright and head up)

lpu21_frnt.jpg

Whenever you see a real US Navy LPU-21 or 23, you'll see numbers on the back...this is just the serial number. Another thing you commonly see is the rubber bands around the bladders as sometimes if you get a used one, the Velcro doesn't stay shut. The rubber bands help keep the un-enflated bladders from falling out of the Nomex casing.

lpu21_back.jpg

Another thing you'll commonly see in Navy LPU-21/23's are the two small pouches that attaches to two sets of D-rings on the waist bladders. These are to carry sea dye markers and a set of Mk13 flares. For some dumb reason, we had to requisition these items separately. I don't think crewmen carry these anymore as I read somewhere the RescueStreamer proved to be more effective. Just like a VS17 signal-panel its a piece of reflective cloth about 6" long and 1" wide, but when deployed extends to about 25 feet. Unlike the sea dye marker, the rescure streamer doesn't dissipate.

lpu_pockets.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the "Standard Gunshot Kit for all assault force personnel"...this is the exact same kit shown on pg. 118 of the manual. Basically, everything came in two big vacuum packs to keep it waterproof, but I opened it up. The first kit came with two big Vaseline guaze pads (according to the manual for "sucking chest wounds"), two compression pads, stretch bandage, and a sealed tourniquet. The second kit came with giant bag of Lactated Ringer's Injection USP with a sealed IV Set (it looks like it contains two needles, some valves, and tubing). One kit fits inside a standard LC-2 first aid pouch while the IV Kit fits inside one of the utility pouches on the CQB vest.

No clue how to use any of it and it seems to me not much of a "first aid" kit (both packs are very light), but I guess this was what all Navy VBSS teams carried in the early days...good times

gunshot_kit.jpg

Archived