What did you do to prevent your TMP from exploding

wildstallion

I have been a victim of exploding TMP syndrome, (the back of the upper receiver blow off. I think this happened because I was firing it at a slight angle at the time, and the bolt worked its way out of its housing.

By some miracle I think I have sourced another upper receiver from AD, when I get it I don’t want the same thing to happen again as it will probably be real tough getting another one. I have a few ideas but I would like to see what others did to prevent their TMP from destroying its self (a picture would be great b.t.w).

Oh one more question IM hoping the old non hardkick version uses the same upper receiver can anyone confirm this?

I have been a victim of exploding TMP syndrome, (the back of the upper receiver blow off.  I think this happened because I was firing it at a slight angle at the time, and the bolt worked its way out of its housing.

By some miracle I think I have sourced another upper receiver from AD, when I get it I don’t want the same thing to happen again as it will probably be real tough getting another one.  I have a few ideas but I would like to see what others did to prevent their TMP from destroying its self (a picture would be great b.t.w).

Oh one more question IM hoping the old non hardkick version uses the same upper receiver can anyone confirm this?

Bump

No ... it did not depend on a angle ... the bolt hits the back of the reciver with too much focre ... and its inevitable that the upper cracks ...

good thing: you can still use the gun with a cracked upper...

the only way i see to prevent this is either to reduce blowback power, harder spring (witch would give you higher ROF too) or somekind of absorbing rubber in the back of the body ...

just cut 5-7 mm off the recoil spring guide rod. you can figure it out easily. open the gun and move the bolt manually. remove material from the front of the spring guide until the bolt hits the |_| - shaped metal piece inside the gun. this is much stronger and your tmp will be fine (you'll be able to use redgas in it...)

The plan (when I get around to it!) is to add a small metal pin across the rear of the bolt.

I'm doing this from memory, but... if you look in the lower rceiver, you'll see that everything is held together with a metal frame.

Drill a hole through this, near the back. Push a pin through, perhaps coated with some rubber to reduce the impact (I was thinking of using a few layers of shrink-wrap). This stops the bolt before if places too much pressure on the rear of the upper receiver.

The lower receiver will stop the pin from falling out of the frame, and there are no exterior changes to the TMP.

Archived