Li-Poly Stock Tube.

Sarge133

I am thinking of putting a Li-Poly stick in the stock tube on my HK416. I've picked out the battery and charger but I need to know what stock tube will it fit in with the cap closed. I do NOT want the battery out the end of the stock.

Battery:

http://www.rsov.com/product_info.php?products_id=969

Charger (what would be better?):

http://www.rsov.com/product_info.php?cPath...roducts_id=1371

http://www.rsov.com/product_info.php?cPath...roducts_id=1370

Stock tube (will the battery fit in this and be hidden?):

http://www.rsov.com/product_info.php?products_id=1149

I've got those batteries...I actually bought 2 and made 3 7.4v packs out of them.

I'm pretty sure they will not fit into a stock tube. I was able to fit 2 cells into a 1" diameter tube (the ID is about .9").

Basically the 2 cells have an effective outer diameter greater than a std. stick/ak battery.

As for charging I use my superbrain smart charger with a kokum 2 cell lipo "safety thing" in between (on the recommendation of a friend who has used lipos for years in r/c stuff).

I'll check when I get home on the fit of the stock tube just to be certain.

edit:

Pics!

20071229xmas003sf7.jpg

20071215new31ee2.jpg

Do a little math on it. The battery dimensions are 20mmx21mmx125mm. The length are irrelevant as the tube inner diameter needs to be at least the same size as the diagonal measurement of the battery base.

We know that a^2+b^2=c^2

so that will be

20^2+21^2=c^2

<->

400+441=c^2

<->

c=SQR(400+441)=29

So that tells us the the minimum diameter needs to be 29mm in order to fit the battery.

I measure a standard stock tube to be 25mm in inner diameter. Now ask you self if it is realistic that the Dboys stock tube is 4mm wider? I say that it is not likely to hold true, as the tube material is 2mm thick. This means that the outer diameter also needs to be increased. By increasing the outer diameter of the tube it will no longer be compatible with standard stocks. Now Dboys are a clone company and I find it unrealistic that they should have come out with a new standard for stock tubes.

Now I know I've heard of people putting li-poly's in their stock tubes.... what battery are they using?

I think there is a typo. I found the same battery here:

http://airsoftglobal.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=6562

They list the measurements as 123mm x 20mm x 12mm

Transposed numbers maybe?

That gives us the need for 23.32 mm inner diameter which we have.

Alright well, just did all the math myself on paper during a college class. Even with a six position stock tube of standard diameter it wont fit.

I know, I've heard of it being done also. I guess I'll stick with the PEQ box and just get a sling for the weight. Keep it simple.

The picture you linked to seems to show those firefox cells inside a stock tube.

And by your math the 23.32mm = .918" and like I said above, I fit 2 into a ~.900" ID tube. I never bothered to try and fit 3 in there.

I know that the 2 cells won't fit in many places that a stick will go. They fit in an AK, almost in an Uzi, and not even close in an mp5k.

Give me a couple hours and I'll post results of the "3 cell stock tube test" :)

ok.

On a 3 position stock tube (all I have right now) the ID of the tube is .985 or about 25mm.

I fit 3 cells into the tube (an 11v pack). It was a bit tight, but I have non standard, re-shrinked cells.

They stuck out the end about an inch (without the mounting screw or bushing in place), so I don't think it will be possible to fully retract the stock.

When I get a chance, I'll upload a picture.

So, short answer: the skinny firefox lipo fits inside an m4 stock tube (diameter wise, but not length-wise

They stuck out the end about an inch (without the mounting screw or bushing in place), so I don't think it will be possible to fully retract the stock.

This I had heard before, and expected. I have my stock (4-5 position, can't remember), set to the next to the furthest out all the time anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I use the firefox batteries in my M4 and VFC SCAR. In my M4 I just don't collapse the stock all the way. However, if I'm using a VLTOR E-MOD stock, I can collapse the stock all the way as the E-MOD is longer than the standard M4 stock.

ot to be a market for longer M4 stocks, a magpul one would be nice. Even better a stock tube and a Li Poly Battery Molded to fit perfectly. Perhaps even TM MAEG style without the usual Tamiya Connectors. If a company came out with such a sytem I reckon they would clean up.

Archived