Freedom Art Detonics sets

aerodrew

Now Freedom art has built yet another accucomp set that incorporates rails built into the front block. I personally don't think DET-S looks all that bad, but the lack of lower rail on these frames kind of kills it for me. The side-fastening screws do seem to detract from the design aesthetic, but it is probably set up like that on purpose to reinforce the frontend block.

DET-A on the other hand looks like a hideous monstrosity.

DET-S:

DTS1.jpg

http://gun-freedom-art.com/hi45custum2/dts.html

DET-A:

DTA1.jpg

http://gun-freedom-art.com/hi45custum2/dta.html

The DET-A is pretty nice. I actually like the fact that they don't come with a lower rail.

So they want you to use a Detonics slide on a Hi-Capa...interesting. Especially for the ISPC guys, this should really speed up cycle time. It does seem like the gun will be a bit front heavy though...

Looks like an old Tasco Pro Point.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again I've just gone right off it. I like my guns to be possible in real life and this isn't. Well it is but every time you fire a shot you'd hit the front sight lens with hot gasses out of the comp! Probably crack within a few shots.

Might be good with a rail running back from the front block to which a sight could be attached.

Looks like an old Tasco Pro Point.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again I've just gone right off it. I like my guns to be possible in real life and this isn't. Well it is but every time you fire a shot you'd hit the front sight lens with hot gasses out of the comp! Probably crack within a few shots.

Might be good with a rail running back from the front block to which a sight could be attached.

Aye, Pro Point's more like it.

It would be fine if the barrel is extended all the way to the front, but I'm not sure if there's enough room within the comp block for a 6/7" one to tilt up.

On the DET A it appears that the screw holes on the side of the frame are not just for decoration, but can also be used to fasten a mount to the gun. Pretty nice idea, but then why would you add the rail to the top of the block?!

to have full flexibility. .able to use any optics you want..whichever mount you want. . .the upper rail is ideal depending on the race holster/rig you're using too. . for instance. .if you have a really slim profile holster. .you probably don't want to use a frame mounted scope mount. . you'd rather just use the upper rail w/ rings.

I think the front heavy would be ideal in RS to help with recoil. . but for airsoft, it would be really noticeably front heavy. Having a cantilevered RDS would definitely help in balancing the comp.

here's my old Speedcomp II w/ a Tasco Pro Point.. old. . but still looks good despite it's size.

06ec.jpg

If I may state the obvious...

Why do you add a hugeass barrel extension to a compact pistol?

It begs the question dont it?

It only begs the question if you don't know a thing about shooting. .

do you shoot steel? or have tried to use a compact 1911 for competition?

there's something called muzzle climb, muzzle flash, and recoil. . .all things that can effect your target acquisition and accuracy

the advantages of using a compact slide on a std length frame is the short recoil/stroke .. the hugea$$ barrel extension/comp drastically reduces muzzle climb and also balances your IPSC/IDPA pistol (that would normally have a scope mount, optics, ext. mag, mag well, slide racker, etc). .weight is extremely important when handling recoil. .

ex. .ever shot a Thompson M1A1? Weighs a ton. . but very little recoil. .maybe a .22 or less

granted this is airsoft. . .but nothing wrong with emulating real steel. . that's what airsoft is about.

Why not shoot something like a SPP? It has a long barrel, short cycle time, large mag capacity, and can mount optics easily...

you can if you so wish. . for airsoft. .you're grouping isn't going to be far off from a GBB pistol. . not unless the pistol is upgraded beyond the capabilities of an SPP. . and it won't take much to surpass a SPP's performance.

SPPs weren't made for target/competition use. . .also, they're way bulkier than a fully equipt race gun.

These are for IPSC-style shooting, not 'practical' use. They're for people who want to get the best shooting performance and looks out of their gun and then compete with them. ;)

funny you mention IPSC and "not practical use" in the same sentence..what's not practical about it?

Carrying it as a duty pistol?

Imagine law enforcement with IPSC guns, race holsters and the skills. . no need for snipers

International

Practical

Shooting

Confederation

It may have been practical 20-30 years back, when it was Cooper and the gang with plain (but well built) 1911 pistols. Now it's just a sport, although there's nothing wrong with that. You can't honestly say an open division race gun would be practical for carry or duty. And I say this as an IPSC shooter myself. (By IPSC I mean the real gun sport, not the airsoft practical shooting thing I also do.)

As to why anyone would put such a huge extension in a short pistol, I agree that a Detonics only with a huge comp or other extension would be dumb. But you should note that the grip is changed as well. As a result you get a superbly quick cycle time from the small slide, but a proper size grip and barrel length.

As to using an SPP in competition shooting... The trigger pull is horrible, the ergonomics aren't good for a pistol, the sight and barrel axis would be too far apart, the barrel axis is high above the grip, and the cycle time is rather sluggish compared to a regular pistol.

-Sale

Archived