Tanaka Field Test (in the wind) VIDEO

The Bushman

Well, I finally got the video sorted.

Check it out

Only things that are not 100% are the indicated wind speed and distance to the target. Only afterwards, did I realise the distance was not confirmed, with our 10m tape measure from the exact firing position. <_<

Fellow hunters felt I had understated both factors, but better to do that then exagerate. We will get a laser range finder eventually.

07-B-173.gif

The ATP project graphs show that at 550fps a 0.30g pellet travel approx 180 feet in 1 second (55m). However, I just looked in detail (frame to frame) at the audio and the pellets take 1.5 seconds to arrive at the target! This suggests the target is nearer 220 feet away (67m) using the tables in the project.

here is the 500fps chart too.

07-B-179.gif

Interesting.

Please note that the effects of the wind to the left would have been far more severe if it were not for the fact I was countering the wind with a common 6mmhunter shooting technique; "canting" the rifle. Hold the cross hair off centre leaning into the wind. In this wind, I was only applying 10 degrees of cant (leaning the top of the scope over to the right to counter the wind coming from that direction.) The HOP UP implies side spin, along with the normal up spin. This side spin keeps the BB fighting against the wind and if you have put just the right amount of spin to suit ammo and wind speed/direction then it will appear to have a normal straight trajectory. Try it yourself.

I set the HOP far lower than I would have indoors or in calm outdoor conditions with more favourable temperature.

This film also shows how good the TM MK23 pistol is. Despite the fact he was returning fire over the log, while the tanaka shot directly underneath it, he still managed a hit (0.30g) on a prone shooter. Unfortunatley, I pressed pause accidentaly, and missed the torrent of hits on the second half of the LTR's magazine. The MK23 rounding it off, by hitting the camera (despite me holding my hand above the lens area) on the last shot! We were gutted when we found I had not recorded it. :(

find more info here: 6mmHUNTERS

Enjoy + Good Hunting ;)

My MK23 (yes it is mine that is used in the film) is factory standard. It was just a long lob shot. The MK23 is the BEST performing factory Airsoft gun ever made. Its performance is ridiculously consistant with 0.30g Elite Airsoft (which I kindly got sent by Elite Airsoft to sample).

People just strip MK23 guns down un necessarily and overlube many of them from what I have seen. This seriously hinders their performance in ones I have witnessed. As they are NBB they only need lubricating now and again to protect rubber parts. Just clean the barrel with a ramrod as per normal now and again.

The only non standard part is the magazine which has had the TM escape valve replacled with a tapped thread and a hex nut to completely seal the hole. The Seal has all been araldited after I noticed a minor leak. The mag is therefore very solid and can take almost any reasonable pressure (but I only use green gas anyway.)

Our group have discussed the need for a stock for a MK23 and all fancy scoping them up. However the laylax scope rails require buying 2 over priced parts to then fit the scope. This in itself will double the cost of the gun and so far there have always been other things to buy :rolleyes: .

The fact they made a stock for a G18C AEP and not for the MK23 baffles me :(

If only Marui fitted that system into a nice small semi auto carbine of some description, I believe they would have the Rolls Royce of sniping. Nice to see a 320fps gun keeping up with a 540fps rifle due to the notorious VSR HOP system. At least that is my opinion.

Rant over.

Good Hunting ;)

Great video! The fps consistency is better than I thought.

I'm planning to do a 50m and 70m test (Asahi and VSR) this weekend if the weather is favourable. I'll try to borrow a camera. :)

The Mk23 is a beast, one of the best airsoft guns I ever bought... Mine is also stock and I'll leave it that way. I also thought about putting one inside an EBR chassis, but I've to finish the PKM project first.

Thanks for the great review of the VSR conversion. There are a lot of people who PM me about the results and I forward them to our on going Tanaka Thread. It's great you can provide them with a visual.

No problem 8zero8, Pleased to be of assistance :P . We still have another m40a1 and LTR in need of one of these kits, so we'll contact you again soon no doubt.

Do you own a wood!?!? Or do you just go on other peoples land. Sorry for the really random question...

lol. I wish I owned a wood. However, I am lucky enough to know a few people who live out in the sticks and used to work on a farm. In fact, I have got permission to shoot on the local Airfield recently too (but have not been yet) :).

Good Hunting ;)

• 2 weeks later...

just letting you know, but perfect physics does not work in the case of airsoft guns. the bb does not travel at a constant velocity throughout its entire flight. there is a signficant drop in fps even after the first 15 feet. depending on what type of chrono you are using, try standing a few meters back and firing through the chronos sensors, going a few more meters back then firing through the chrono again. your distance is probably correct or at least close to it.

to prove it, i'll explain. the kinetic energy of the BB can best be measured by how hard it hits the target. if it hits harder, then it has more kinetic energy in flight the moment before it strikes. kinetic energy is dependent purely on mass and velocity of the bb. the mass of the bb is relatively constant regardless of whether it is sitting in its packaging straight from the factory, or whether it is loaded into the magazine of your gun. explain then, why does it hurt more to be hit from a bb shot by a gun point blank than if you were shot by the same gun and same bb at 100 yards? simple answer, the velocity of the bb has obviously changed (decelerated) throughout its flight.

i find the ATP thing to be rather problematic cause it's completely theoretical testing. there are wayyy too many factors to take into account when thinking of the physics of airsoft. i think that the biggest problem with his testing is that his graphs are far too linear when they should show a more significant deceleration of the bb as the distance from the muzzle increases.

i'm just suggesting that you trust whatever the tape measure says is the distance because unless you are firing at a target not signifcanly off horizontal from your firing position, the distance you measure should be relatively close to the actual distance.

regardless, good job on the testing as it appears to be helpful to many people.

Archived