Finally up! High speed airsoft grenade video at Airsoft Innovations

It's finally up! Sorry for the wait, I had to finalized some copyright licensing issues before I could publish my video to web. My grenade product info page is finally up and will be progressively updated as we near launch. Stay tuned for more grenade videos and product information. Generating site content takes a lot of time and we're already going crazy gearing up for the manufacturing run.

There are two video resolutions. A low (sub 2Mb) and a higher resolution (19Mb) version. We've got more video content that's being prepared for launch soon.

http://airsoft-innovations.com/Grenade.html

tornado500.jpg

We've also repackaged our propane adaptors with silicone oil and duster adaptors into what we like to call a Complete GunGas Kit. We found that airsofters were not buying silicone oil to maintain their GBBs. We managed to increase production volume so we're passing on the savings by bundling everything together into a kit that fulfills almost all of an airsofters gas needs.

http://airsoft-innovations.com/GunGas.html

GunGas1_sm.jpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carl...

You sir deserve an Airosft Innovations Medal!! Ha!

Seriously, its really cool to see someone from the western world innovating and putting out usable skirmish products. Very and i mean very, cool.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

50,000 internets for use of the GLaDOS voice in the preview. I'm definitely buying one or two of these, they look absolutely awesome. Seeing the slow-mo footage was awesome, the design looks great, particularly when compared to other Airsoft grenades. Me wanty. :D

Any ballpark estimate on the price, though?

Gas gun kit? Bought the exact same item from AirsoftAtlanta. Not particularly new. :P

That grenade, on the other hand... give me a final price and I'll buy three of 'em.

We held off on announcing the GunGas kit on our own site to give retailers with inventory of individually packaged adaptors a chance to move their stuff. We try to not catch them with large amounts of stuff that'll suddenly get obsoleted so we unfortunately have to let them start selling the new stuff for a few weeks before we can launch new versions.

Nobody's got inventory of the new grenades so we can make big announcements without hurting our retail partners.

As to pricing, we're hoping to keep it down, but we've been whomped by some pretty big unexpected costs in injection mould rework and assembly operations. There's a lot of subtlety in the way this thing works so getting things just right in a manufacturing environment isn't easy. Tuning up a few working protos is a lot easier than making a gazillion reliable products for retail.

If this grenade is a reliable, well working product, as with all of your previous products, I'm sure the time and money spent developing + manufacturing the product will be well worth it for all parties, consumers and retailers alike.

I wouldn't expect any less than an excellent product from you chaps, looking forward to seeing the end price on these bad boys.

I'm skeptical as to how this will work if tossed into a room (it will land on its side and when it goes off half the bb's will just shoot into the ground)... I'd love to see a video of it actually in action however, I just can't visualize how it's going to properly work when laying on it's side.

I was hoping for a grenade shaped like a ball, like the current grenades...functioning much like an M203 with holes all over the place to insert the bb's with the gas chamber in the center, filled from the top, utilizing the same timing method that you did...

We chucked out the zillion barrels idea a while ago. Short barrels can't propel pellets to very high velocities even if they do point in all directions. The problem is that the thrust length is too short to accelerate a pellet to a very high speed. You also have the problem of barrels becoming gaping holes as soon as they're empty as well as providing a manifold to distribute pressure to every barrel. The manifold eats up volume in the grenade which subtracts space for bbs and pneumatics. A barrel that empties first robs gas from it's neighbors which might still have pellets. You also have a difficult manufacturing problem of CNC drilling a multitude of holes in many directions as well as a slow loading cycle.

Our video shows a grenade spinning on a vertical spindle to keep it in frame. In use, they always seem to settle on their side, but the distribution pattern is still excellent. We did a public demonstration where we set off grenades about a hundred times:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=51419

It was at an airsoft exhibition in Toronto Canada which featured a life fire range where visitors got to demo AEGs, GBBs and grenade prototypes. In almost every case, the person throwing the grenade got hit by their own pellets (no cover). Pellets were flying upwards and bouncing off the 30' ceiling and making it over the pellet net.

It's finally up! Sorry for the wait, I had to finalized some copyright licensing issues before I could publish my video to web. My grenade product info page is finally up and will be progressively updated as we near launch. Stay tuned for more grenade videos and product information. Generating site content takes a lot of time and we're already going crazy gearing up for the manufacturing run.

There are two video resolutions. A low (sub 2Mb) and a higher resolution (19Mb) version. We've got more video content that's being prepared for launch soon.

http://airsoft-innovations.com/Grenade.html

tornado500.jpg

I see that the Holy Hand Grenade of Airsoft is being developed :D

A few quick questions:

1. According to your site, it "has no parts to lose". If so, how are covers supposed to be recovered?

2. What is that glitter looking stuff that flies around after the BBs fly out in your video?

does this thing just spray bb's everywhere? or does it actually discharge it with an explosion?

doubt it will be re-usable mate... explosions also cause damage and are hazerdous, doubt anyone would want that.

i can't watch the video, mind putting it up on youtube ? and just for the damn looks i'd buy me a couple of those, awesome job guys !!!

I'm not exactly sure how to answer that. In a sense it sprays bbs instead of blasting them all at the same time. However, it only takes 1/15th of a second to discharge it's entire pellet load so it doesn't really run all over the floor spitting bbs for 3 or 4 seconds. That video footage is played back at 1/100th speed (3000f/sec down to 30f/sec) so it does look like it's doing a slow spray. 1/15th of a second is so short that is sounds like a blast.

This looks really promising. Finally an actually useable grenade?

Soon someone will point out that I wouldn't use it for practical shooting, though. :P

1. According to your site, it "has no parts to lose". If so, how are covers supposed to be recovered?

2. What is that glitter looking stuff that flies around after the BBs fly out in your video?

1. The covers don't blow off. The BBs are shot out of the holes at the top.

2. Probably gas that's still in liquid form.

-Sale

This looks really promising. Finally an actually useable grenade?

Soon someone will point out that I wouldn't use it for practical shooting, though. :P

1. The covers don't blow off. The BBs are shot out of the holes at the top.

2. Probably gas that's still in liquid form.

-Sale

The sparkly bits are actually water droplets. A previous build used a small charge of water (~10mL) as a timing element. I managed to improve the design so it didn't need water. The water delay was going to be V1 with the current build as V2 but the improvement was good enough that I held off the release until I could finish developing the current build and go straight to the non water delay. Performance wise, both builds performed quite similarly in bb distribution and energy, but I couldn't afford another high speed camera rental to film the current build. The crazy thing cost me about $1500/day!

You're right Sale. The pellets come out of the ends of two passages. No covers blow off. The only reusable part that separates on deployment from this grenade is the ring and pin. There is a removable cap that is taken off for refilling (propane), but it doesn't fly off when the grenade goes off.

I'm skeptical as to how this will work if tossed into a room (it will land on its side and when it goes off half the bb's will just shoot into the ground)... I'd love to see a video of it actually in action however, I just can't visualize how it's going to properly work when laying on it's side.

You know it doesn't discharge BBs out the top right?

The BBs leave via the 2 holes in the sides of the main body of the nade. Because they're pointing upwards at a diagonal angle the BBs will spray out like a lawn-sprinkler.

Put it on it's side and the BBs will still spray out in that pattern but, also, the nade will spin and twist, causing BBs to fly everywhere.

Ever seen what happens when you shoot a hole in an almost empty can of spray paint?

My main reservation about this is that it'll hurt like hell if it hits you on the head.

My site doesn't allow BFGs for this reason and I expect this will fall foul of the same ruling. :(

You know it doesn't discharge BBs out the top right?

The BBs leave via the 2 holes in the sides of the main body of the nade. Because they're pointing upwards at a diagonal angle the BBs will spray out like a lawn-sprinkler.

Put it on it's side and the BBs will still spray out in that pattern but, also, the nade will spin and twist, causing BBs to fly everywhere.

Ever seen what happens when you shoot a hole in an almost empty can of spray paint?

My main reservation about this is that it'll hurt like hell if it hits you on the head.

My site doesn't allow BFGs for this reason and I expect this will fall foul of the same ruling. :(

On one side, the ramp points upwards. On the other side it's pointed downwards. As the grenade spins you get two opposing theoretical cones that flare outwards from the grenade. Unconstrained on the floor, thunking on the ground jumbles up the cones so you end up with a much more even spread than casting two cones.

Unfortunately the bonk hazard is a problem. I'm trying to reduce the total weight, but I'm between making the grenade lighter and keeping it durable. I did find that new users did immediately perceive that they were throwing something that could really hurt so they didn't hurl them across the field at each other. Even without admonishing new users of the concussion issues, testers were very good at keeping their throws light and underhanded (heh heh).

I can see game organizers being able to keep players from slamming each other with grenades with a preemptive warning at the beginning of a skirm.

whoa that looks funky!!

Can't wait to see some more pics and would love to see a video of it being used; someone pulling it out their webbing and chucking it

Someone's put the video on youtube for us quicktime haters:

;)

You could just get Media Player Classic, it's free and can play those nasty .mov files, then again it's now up on youtube so there's no need...

I don't have speakers on my work computer, but overall it looked pretty good. Definately the best BB grenade idea I've seen so far.

Archived