ICS M4 Hop Up

biguk

I need to replace the Hop-Up Unit on my ICS M4. Ive been looking on ZeroOne and came across the Systema M16 Hop Up. Does anyone know if it will fit in an ICS M4. I've never really fiddled with the internals of my AEG's as im pretty new to the whole thing.

What are the benifits of Metal over plastic Hop-Ups, is it just durability?

No, the systema Hop-Up unit would need to be modded to fit. The only hop-up unit that will fit in an ICS without modification is the ICS one.

this is a guide to ICS parts compatibility. It has a short section on what needs to be done to get the Systema hop-up unit to fit. Basically it requires some dremeling. The modification is on the first page, just scroll down until you see the metal hop-up unit.

Or you could buy the ICS hop unit on sale in zero-one.

Product code MA-09

Well exactly....but i was wondering if the Systema one would be a better buy, over the ICS Plastic Hop-Up

Cheers Gigueand i will take a look at it...Thanks for answering my question

What are the benifits of Metal over plastic Hop-Ups, is it just durability?

I recently had to replace my ICS' hop-up unit because I cracked the feed tube by jamming a mid-cap into it too hard. The unit was already pretty beat up, but I was rather put off by the fact that it broke. As I said, I replaced it with a new one and even the new one has some scarring to the tube and I've been rather gentle. I don't expect it to break, but I've been trying to take it easy on slamming mags in when reloading. Obviously a metal unit would stop this problem. It has been reported that ICS will be releasing a metal unit sometime this year, but probably not for a while.

The nice thing about the ICS unit is that it is far more similar to the G36 "wheel" style units than the standard TM M16 units. The ICS unit doesn't suffer from the problem of unwinding itself over time. Once it is set in place the hop won't change on its own.

Anyway, good luck on getting your hop-up fixed.

ICS hop up is superior to the Systema design. And if you did want to put the systema in you would have to dremel the tabs from the feeding tube in the front and a bit from the hop up arm so that it is flat up top when the hop up is off or else your hop will be on even before you adjust it.

Ive snapped the nipple that the spring sits on that pushes the hop-up against the gear box. Also in removing the barrel with the nipple broken its distorted the spring...Im not sure how this happened but it mite have been the previous owner of the M4 as it was bought off the sales forum back in May last year.

So i need to replace the spring and some how re-attach the spring to the hop-up. as without it there is no seal round gear box so its not firing at all really.

Im sure the hop-up is fine but i cant see a way of fixing the problem properly without buying a new hop up unit. I was gonna buy one from zero one.

Ive snapped the nipple that the spring sits on that pushes the hop-up against the gear box. Also in removing the barrel with the nipple broken its distorted the spring...Im not sure how this happened but it mite have been the previous owner of the M4 as it was bought off the sales forum back in May last year.

So i need to replace the spring and some how re-attach the spring to the hop-up. as without it there is no seal round gear box so its not firing at all really.

Im sure the hop-up is fine but i cant see a way of fixing the problem properly without buying a new hop up unit. I was gonna buy one from zero one.

Take a cue from the G&P hop up units, find a spring that fits over the barrel and pushes on the hop up unit but isnt rediculously huge. That should help with the air seal problem. Buy another ICS Hop up unit, it will save you alot of hassles. It really is a good hop up unit, it just needs to be metal and not plastic.

Take a cue from the G&P hop up units, find a spring that fits over the barrel and pushes on the hop up unit but isnt rediculously huge. That should help with the air seal problem. Buy another ICS Hop up unit, it will save you alot of hassles. It really is a good hop up unit, it just needs to be metal and not plastic.

Yeah ive gone and bought the ICS Hop Up...should save me alot of hassle...how easy is it to replace Hop-Ups then?

Yeah ive gone and bought the ICS Hop Up...should save me alot of hassle...how easy is it to replace Hop-Ups then?

Very easy, with the ics hop up unit you just undo the clip, turn the hop up unit so you can look down the feed tube, slowly slide the hop up unit off of the barrel and hop up bucking (if you are lucky you can get the bucking to stay put when you do this) cup your hands, put your hop up unit in them and get the nub out of the unit then reverse with new hop up unit, the nub part can be reinstalled via a hole in the side of the hop up unit. Just remove the pin at the back of the unit and you should be able to pop it in. I normally do that part last so the hop up rubber is there and what not to hold it in place!

Good luck!

Your new ICS unit comes with the nub and everything already installed. You'll have to make use of your old bucking, however. In addition, you might want to try and hold on to the old "C" clip that came with your old unit. These clips are notorious for breaking (even though ICS has updated their units with a new, supposedly more durable red "C" clip).

Good luck!

Cool Cheers guys, im hoping it will arrive tomorrow so i can do it over the wkend. Hopefully its as straight forward as you say it is...Gotta learn how to service my AEG's and some point i guess.

Take a cue from the G&P hop up units, find a spring that fits over the barrel and pushes on the hop up unit but isnt rediculously huge.

Wasn't there another solution where you could fit o-rings around the inner barrel to achieve the same effect? I'm in a similar boat w/ a hopup issue except I lost the spring instead of breakinng the nub where the spring attached to.

Archived