Steyr AUG - RIS Rail replacement for foregrip

davecymru

I have posted some of these pics in the Aug Pic thread, but a few people have asked for some more details on the rail adapter i made and this seems to be the right place to post them.

---------

When the clone M203s came out it seemed only sensible to get a rail mountable one so i could switch it between guns.

But. i didn't want and didn't like the "proper" Aug M203 attachment (each to our own) so i decided to see if i could fabricate my own and this is what i've come up with.

I got a pack of 2 G36 rails (i can't remember their exact length) a length of aluminum square bar and a length of aluminum flat bar from B&Q.

I removed the existing foregrip pin and removed the foregip put everything in a small box in case i wish to re-attach it later.

I Roughly positioned the rail and measured a length on aluminum flat bar to act as a mounting base for the attachment point and stabilising block.

I then cut a small section of square bar and filed it down so that it would fit in the gap left after removing the foregrip. It was then positioned on top of the flat bar (now tacked onto the rail with super glue) and marked and drilled the mounting hole to mate up with that in the front receiver. Then 2 small holes we made through the rail and the bar drilled and tapped and 2 screws through the rail attached it all securely.

Then another small length of bar was cut to go on the front of the rail and filed a grove in the top to match the radius of the barrel in order to stabilise it all. Once again, this was drilled and tapped and attached to the rail with a screw through the existing front end hole.

This was all positioned on the gun and i could have used the old foregrip retaining pin to attach, but as i was going to slap the M203 on their i decided a nut and bolt would take the strain better!

Once all was fabricated, a quick coat of matt black paint and job done!

I've even picked up a rail mountable fore grip for when the M203 gets too heavy.

The only downside is that you need to remove the rail to use the barrel release catch. Although that said, i've never needed to use that yet, as if there's an issue i simply remove the entire front section.

Montage of angles showing the adapter.

montage.jpg

Fitted to the Aug

aug_plus_new_rails_hummmm.jpg

With all the bits strapped on

aug_plus_m203_hummm.jpg

If i were to do it again.... Rather than making 2 separate mounting blocks, one to attach and one to stabilise, I'd make it out of one single piece of metal and spend some time filing it down to match up seamlessly with the existing receiver. But hey ho.

Now that is a great project, well made and looks professional. Almost as if Steyr could have made it like that...

You could probably go into business making this for all those people who seem to hate the AUG's forgrip.

If you felt like it, you could mark and cut a notch out of the RIS for the barrel-release catch.

Could I suggest, however, some kind of attachment at the front of the M203 to hold it to the barrel there and spread the weight more evenly? Perhaps a heatshield to cover up the gap too? I think that'd look great.

Cheers matey, I did start making up a bracket to attach the M203 it at the front because, as you can see, it lines up nicely with the front of the barrel.

But TBH it all feels SO sturdy without it that i may not bother as i prefer to keep it all nice and clean and simple, which is why i like AUGs! :) and it also means that i can switch between the M203 and the RIS foregrip in seconds in a safezone without having to faff around unbolting the front (unless i get clever about how i do it? hummmm.)

I'll see how i get on skirmishing with it next time i'm out (LORD knows when!) and take it from there.

Oh, that's brilliant.

Even if you just use it as a place to put a RIS foregrip, there's so many kinds that it is well worth it.

And then being able to add a 203 is just gravy.

I agree with Hedganian, you could go into business selling these; I'd buy one.

Oh, that's brilliant.

Even if you just use it as a place to put a RIS foregrip, there's so many kinds that it is well worth it.

And then being able to add a 203 is just gravy.

I agree with Hedganian, you could go into business selling these; I'd buy one.

i'd consider buying one. depends on the price.

I'd probs buy one, although I for one actually like the AUG foregrip ( i'm shoring mine up with milliput, should make it sturdy as hell in both positions), but It'd be nice to have a rail for torches etc...

£20 maybe?

I mounted the 2nd rail i had on the top right of the receiver for my torch. It works pretty well there.

You can just about make it out in the pics.

----

To give people an idea on prices if you're thinking of making something like this..

G36 RIS Rails (pack of 2): ~£10 ( there are some on E-Bay at the moment Item number: 230233004971 - currently £2.99 with £6.50 postage)

Alloy Bar - B&Q (enough to make at LEAST 5 or 6): ~£2.50

Flat Alloy strip - B & Q (enough to make at LEAST 10): ~£3

Screws: lord knows ~£1?

Primer (enough for at least 10): ~£3

Matt Black paint (enough for at least 10): ~£3

Required tools.

Hacksaw

Metal file

Drill

Thread cutting Taps (not the water kind!)

Super glue (not essential, but useful for tacking things in palace while fabricating)

Time to make ~ 4hrs

So - total cost for 1st item (absorbing all costs but only 1 rail) = ~£17.50

for rails thereafter up to 6= ~£5

Selling for £20, if you sell 1 = you loose £2.50

if you sell 2 = +£40 - £22.50 = you are earning about £2.19 per hour. You'd be better off getting a paper round :)

Although if you've already got the rails laying around (or can scrounge some!) as well as some of the other odds and ends like i did then all i had to buy was the Alloy for about a fiver.

Archived