GRIM's RS AK47 Mag Converting Guide

GRIM!

I decided to do a Guide since i have been looking for one for a long time and never found one so here it goes :)

I used a Inokatsu (Guarder and RMW are exactly the same) AKM for this but other brands shouldent be so much difrent if any at all with the mag mechanik.

I might need to better my English on some parts since i dont know all words in english like in do in swedish so please help if u find any wrongs.

I will use the term "AS" for Airsoft and "RS" for Real Steel ( Some will probobly think that this is abvious but not for evryone that comes from other countries were you dont speak english very well)

Also i can only Answer questions if i havent descriped well enough but not answers like "my mag does not work help meee"

So first you will need:

(Hopefully a Workshop or a garage with tools)

Realsteel AK47 Magazine

G&P 150rds AK47 magazine (or any other brands like TM 70rds and moore)

Metal saw

Drill for metal

File for metal

A penn to mark with

STEP 1

Now take your RS mag and AS mag exactly together so all the (tangs?) are in the same level and the mark a line with your pen and it should ook something like this

49776889pr4.jpg

STEP 2

Open the mag and remove the spring inside and save it for later.

Now Saw off the top part, rather saw off to little than to much so you can file it if so, atleast that how i did it.

61118378ma0.jpg

Nothing hard here but here is what it should look like when you are done with that, lightly file around it so u dont get any sharp edges to cut urself on or ur gun.

91040819be9.jpg

STEP 3

Now saw of the thick part here, else the mag wont fit because of the gearbox, dust it off alittle and move on to Step 4

82818281dx6.jpg

STEP 4

Now try and see if it fits and stays in right :) It should look like this

97241040kj5.jpg

If the mag dont stay in place and falls of eazy fowards you should file on top of the red marked part till it gets as thick is the AS one is, i had this problem first but just filed it down to its right size.

1thnw9.jpg

Continue in next post..... (reached image posting limit in this post)

STEP 5

Now remove the Internals from the Airsoft magazine and saw of the redmarked thing

19403412dg0.jpg

Seal the top of the mag with some ducttape or anything like it so you wont get dust in the magazine.

75162934fc5.jpg

Then Start Filing the sides till it slides down the RS mag like this.

16381641fe6.jpg

Then you will get this part in youre way and you simply remove the AS mag internals and saw it off but if you saw it to little the mag wont fit in your gun later so when you have sawed it it should look like the secound pic when you are done.

33757991ia1.jpg

Now push the AS internal back in the RS mag and see if it fits in your mag, if it does great! go and try it with some bb's shoot atleast 10

If it doesent fit you have sawed too little like in the previous pic or in worsecase you have to much elft on the top of the RS mag if so just file it down some milimeters per time and try your way throw. Also it may be the mag "catch thing" on the back of the RS mag that are too thick if so take a good look if it really is that then just file it down some milimeters a time till it clicks in, THEN you can go a try if it shoots with atleast 10 bb's

If it all works just go on to Step 6, if not think of what can have been wrong, to hesitate just sit down and think logical for a while so you wont waste a mag for nothing.

10te5.jpg

STEP 6

Now take a drill that is the same thickness as the sprint/pin that helf the AS internals on the AS mag, also makesure the sprint/pin is straight for later or find a replacement pin that will do the job if u broke the AS pin or just lost it in the mess ;)

Drill a hole like this straight thru, just make sure the AS internal are as it was when it was feeding in the gun when you tryed it in Step 5, the holes doesent have to match the AS internals hole but somewhere near it, it doesent matter if u hit it the pin will go trow anyway aslong as you drill straight and have a straight pin.

11zw7.jpg

Then insert the pin from the AS mag you have, take some glue on whne you insert it so it will sit tight, "locktite" for example (or the replacement pin you have if u did lost it) it should ook like this when its done

12gq1.jpg

(I know i didint saw my RS mag top in Step 1 to well but it fed right so im happy :P better luck next time)

STEP 7

Now take the RS mag internal spring and cut it like this and also the marked part, then file the edges on the parts you have cut so u wont cut yourself.

13nc6.jpg

Then put it in youre mag just like the real thing but shorter :P But this is for making the endcap stay in place and it wont make and noise like all AS mags endcaps does and allways falling off.

tmmeug9.jpg

Then slide one the end cap and it should look like this.

14yi3.jpg

Continue in next post...

STEP 8

Now you should have a mag that looks like any of these :D I recomend making one mag ina time so you learn moore for evry time you do it :)

15kr0.jpg

16cd8.jpg

Be proud and Enjoy youreself for making it this far! :D

And now some pics of the mags in my AK :D (with other RS parts :P)

17sm1.jpg

17bza9.jpg

Now why did i do this some people may wonder?

Real mags have better finish wich match my Inokatsu AKM (AIMS) alot better, better feeling since real parts for me allways feels cooler if if they are just as good, These real mags will stand moore damage that the AS mags will do, and im guessing people wants to know for example converting bakelite mags wich is moore popular but just the same technuiqe, and also because i had spare time on lunch time at my dads workshop ;)

Hope you liked it and dont be afraid to ask quastions if you didint undertand any part :)

how would you do this with 40rnd RPK midcap mags??

same way.

There would just be more hollow room in the lower part of the RS mag shell.

Sorry about all the interruptions GRIM!, just hit the report button and ask the posts rearranged or the interruptions removed

how would you do this with 40rnd RPK midcap mags??

I havent seen how the look if u can remove the internals since my "MAG" mags are not removeble so im guessing the 40 round 74 are the same but please link a pic of it and ill take a look :)

Otherwise id recomend G&P ak74 mags and use them

Ahh, nah then id really recomend G&P ak47 mags instead since the rpk74 MAG mags are too straight these are moore bent like a banana :P

In my next order of mags im gonna try a 40 round myself :) guessing its not much difrent maybe file some on the AS internals to fit.

Altho im gonna go for a Romanian 40 rounder from the states since they are about 15 dollars there and the dollar is pretty low ATM and Russmilitary is hell expensive...

Have youre eyes open on this forum http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/

They have alot of cheap mags n stuff, i bought most of mine for 10-20 dollars a pice w shipping, its funny the real deal is cheaper than the AS mags XD

Excellent guide! Quick question, did you really need to cut off this piece at the bottom of the mag?:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6656/19403412dg0.jpg

It seems like the real steel spring would have worked even if that clip was still there and from looking at a later pic, there was still enough room for the clip.

Also, in this pic where you cut of part of the back of the G&P mag:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/940/10te5.jpg

Could you have cut off that part from the real steel mag instead?

I'd like to buy some RS AK mags but getting them into California isn't allowed. <_<

I'd love to do this same modification with some CA AK74 mid-caps and the Galil all steel 30 round mags.

If I shipped you a couple STAR AK lowcaps and a money order, would you be willing to do this mod for me? I don't think I can purchase magazines in Mass until I have my Firearms ID card and even then I probably can't get full-size AK mags (no one ships to Mass and we still have state laws which are just as bad as the Assault Weapons Ban which expired in '04). I think I'll be fine with having them once they're in airsoft form, but I'll have to check the laws again - here in Mass they define ammunition to include even spent brass and inert rounds so the shell of a real steel magazine might be considered the same thing as a real one as well...

EDIT: Just saw you were in Sweden, nevermind. You've got good English, I didn't notice. But my previous post applies if there's anyone in the US doing this who'd be willing to help me out.

I'd like to buy some RS AK mags but getting them into California isn't allowed. <_<

Actually, there's a loophole for that. You are legally allowed to own PARTS of a high-cap mag, disassembled. There are also sites that sell high-cap mags that have been converted to only hold 10 rounds, and are thus CA-legal. Visit calguns.net for more info, there's a big sales section there.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent guide! Quick question, did you really need to cut off this piece at the bottom of the mag?:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6656/19403412dg0.jpg

It seems like the real steel spring would have worked even if that clip was still there and from looking at a later pic, there was still enough room for the clip.

Also, in this pic where you cut of part of the back of the G&P mag:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/940/10te5.jpg

Could you have cut off that part from the real steel mag instead?

I'd love to do this same modification with some CA AK74 mid-caps and the Galil all steel 30 round mags.

Yeah i thought of that the other day i didint really need to cut it but i dont like having unessary stuff on it :P

You could cut on the real mag but i prefer having asmuch of the real mag as possible left :) Also the real mag will hold if you trow it away durning a fight, the plastic mag would just crack after some times...

biguk: You can get AKM bakelite mags and 74 bakelite mags at http://www.rusmilitary.com/ they cost alot tho :/

I recently converted AKM bakelite mags and noticed that the yare alot tighter and either you file on the inside of the mag (wich i dont recomend will only make it crack easyer) or filing on the AS internal altho be carefull cus you can easy file to much so the spring will get stuck i acidently did it on one of my mags but fixed it wil melting the plastic on the AS interal with a lighter and reshaped it abit so the bbs can move as they should...

Some pics of the resault on my RMW AKMS w RS Russian wood :)

akmsb1ru4.jpg

akmsb2ke1.jpg

Archived