Deans connectors

Stealthbomber

Just got around to fitting Deans connectors to a mate's P90 (which I've been saying I was going to do for nearly a month so, erm... :unsure:).

Anyway, it is a TM P90 shooting at 1J. No idea what upgrades it has. Suffice to say it sounds healthy and, as I say, is shooting at 1J.

Battery connector is a stock TM mini connector and the gun still has the fuse in place.

I used the following batteries (all freshly charged):-

8.4v 1,100mah NiMh mini.

9.6v 1,600mah NiMh mini.

I recorded the ROF with the standard mini connectors and obtained the following results:-

8.4v mini c/w mini connector: 12RPS (720RPM)

9.6v mini c/w mini connector: 16RPS (960RPM)

I then lopped off the mini connectors, replaced them with Deans' and recorded the ROF again, with the following results:-

8.4v mini c/w Deans connector: 14RPS (840RPM)

9.6v mini c/w Deans connector: 18RPS (1080RPM)

So, there you go. Replacing Mini connectors with Deans connectors gives you an extra 2 shots per second. Worth the effort?

For laughs, I then tried firing the gun using a couple of BIG batteries I happened to have lying around, just to give people an idea of how much difference the discharge rates of a cell makes. I used the following batteries:-

8.4v 3,300mah NiMh large.

9.6v 4,000mah NiMh large.

These were already fitted with Deans connectors so I can't compare the before and after ROF. Anyway, I got the following results:-

8.4v large c/w Deans connector: 18RPS (1080RPM)

9.6v large c/w Deans connector: 22RPS (1320RPM)

So, there you go. Big batteries are better than little ones. No surprise there then, eh? ;)

Incidentally, the other thng that's (vaguely) interesting is the totally linear way everything increased.

The difference between Deans and mini connectors was the same at both voltages and the difference between 8.4v and 9.6v was the same with each different size of battery.

Oh, one final thing...

Cos I lopped the connector off the P90 and a couple of connectors off the various batteries I hooked a couple of them together to check the resistance.

Turns out that the resistance across a mini-connector is around 0.2Ω

By comparison, the resistance across a Deans connector is 0.1Ω

I thought I'd mention this cos I've heard people saying that the resistance across a mini-connector is around 5Ω and I always knew that was utter nonsense.

While I'm at it, I just checked the resistance of the fuse in the P90 too. It is 0.1Ω

Kinda ruins the whole "fuses increase the resistance of the circuit" theory, doesn't it? ;)

Cheers Stealh,

I'm currently rewiring my m4 to have a crane stock and i was considering swapping over to deans connectors, after reading this i'll definately be doing it.

Going from 8.4 mini with tamiya connetors if the hand guard to a 9.6 with deans in a crane stock should give me an increase of around 360rpm. sweet! :)

They do if they blow :mellow:

If a fuse blows there is no circuit. :P

My large 9.6v battery is made from GP cells. My 8.4v one is made from Sanyo cells.

The other guys mini's are covered in blue shrink wrap. They're from Z1 and, poking in the end, I think they're Sanyo cells too.

Interestingly enough, with my G36 I figured out that you don't need the front wiring and can attach the battery directly to the first tamiya connector coming off of the gearbox. When I did this I gained 3 rps. I wasn't running any fuse either. Switching to deans for me added another 3 rps.

Interestingly enough, with my G36 I figured out that you don't need the front wiring and can attach the battery directly to the first tamiya connector coming off of the gearbox. When I did this I gained 3 rps. I wasn't running any fuse either. Switching to deans for me added another 3 rps.

That's because:

1) You bypass the fuse

2) You remove a relatively large amount of wiring from the circuit

3) You remove two mini tamiya connectors from the circuit

This news of deans etc is interesting. I might get off my *albartroth* and Dean-ificate all my stuff now.

While I'm at it, I just checked the resistance of the fuse in the P90 too. It is 0.1Ω

Kinda ruins the whole "fuses increase the resistance of the circuit" theory, doesn't it? ;)

Was that just the fuse itself or the connectors as well?

I'm not worried about the fuse so much as the shoddy connectors/holder that the fuse is in sometimes.

Was that just the fuse itself or the connectors as well?

I'm not worried about the fuse so much as the shoddy connectors/holder that the fuse is in sometimes.

That was measured by touching the mutleymeter probes to ends of the wires either side of the fuse so it includes the fuse and the nasty connectors.

Incidentally, when you think about it, I got a 2rps increase by swapping a 0.2Ω mini connector with a 0.1Ω Deans connector, a change in resistance of 0.1Ω.

A Deans connector has 0.1Ω resistance, a mini connector has 0.2Ω and a fuse has 0.1Ω.

By removing a mimi connector AND a fuse you're removing roughly 0.2Ω so you'd expect an even bigger increase than swapping from a mini to a Deans.

...if you see what I mean. :unsure:

That's because:

1) You bypass the fuse

2) You remove a relatively large amount of wiring from the circuit

3) You remove two mini tamiya connectors from the circuit

This news of deans etc is interesting. I might get off my *albartroth* and Dean-ificate all my stuff now.

The fuse was already removed before. Ideally the wiring itself would have a resistance of 0 or extremely low, so I think we can pretty much say that the majority of the ROF increase was attributed to removing one of the mini connectors from the circuit.

I always new this was the case deep down (Deans Vs Tamiya), but never got round to getting off my *albartroth* and proving it! :D Ok, so it might not be worth making the change just from a performance side of things, but they do conduct power better, save a little space and do away with annoying bent pins!

Good stuff Stealth.

Good job!

Always good to know stuff like this. Of course its recommended to switch to deans as soon as possible... they are one of the best connectors in the RC industry.

Now get a mosfet with a resettable fuse and gain a few more RPS + safety [=

And here is something else I noticed when using deans that I would like to share. A battery will last just a little bit longer with deans versus other connectors. It might only be a hicap or 2 but it's still that many more shots off the same battery and less time switching batteries.

Just had a rewiring job on my mc51 done with a Mosfet and Deans + resettable fuse, went from 17-28 rps, besides systema standard ratio gears and metal bushings those were the only upgrades done to the gun, measured with madbull chrono

Just had a rewiring job on my mc51 done with a Mosfet and Deans + resettable fuse, went from 17-28 rps, besides systema standard ratio gears and metal bushings those were the only upgrades done to the gun, measured with madbull chrono

So what you are saying is that you got 11 rps more from new wires, mosfet, deans and resettable fuse? Are you sure you did not change anything else in the gearbox?

Bjorn

One thing to note about Deans is that if you don't care for the pressure tabs on the connectors you will have shorting issues. You must always ensure the arched tabs on the opposite sides of each tab have tension and are able to seal the Deans firmly. We just have our first broken Deans on the team in 5 years last week. We couldn't figure out why the MG36 would just stop firing mid burst and the MOSFET would overheat very quickly. Low and behold one of the tabs on the Deans had snapped and was not giving enough pressure to hold the connections firmly. Quick solder job and we've been slinging plastic ever since.

Oh and Azulsky, I'd be very curious to see pictures of the Madbull chrono for that kind of jump. I'm not calling you a liar, I just have a hard time believing the numbers you stated.

Archived