P90 Custom

lazycrane

OK here is my project <Project 90 Custom> report. From a rough concept drawing to the final stage. This was the first airsoft project I did and the whole process took over 4 months.

I love my P90, but I noticed I get a sore hand after a couple of hours in the field because of its unique grip design. I have seen many mods in Japan which changed grip position for easier gripping and I thought I would try myself.

This is the original design drawing. I digitally painted it to see what colors I wanted to go with. At this point, I liked OD better.

1816285215cw3.th.jpg p90customodoy8.th.jpg p90customtanlc9.th.jpg

I started with a junk P90 outer which I got for free from my good friend. I simply jig-sawed grips off and attached it backwards so that the grip is more vertical instead of horizontal. Here, I used Plarepair which bonds plastics very strongly. I also decided to use the original front grip to cover up the ejection port (don't ask where it would eject carts from, its just a toygun!). This is the pic at this stage.

rimg0183jpgyz1.th.jpg

Initially, as the original drawing suggests, I was going to put a rail in the front so that I could install a front grip or any other devices. But it turns out that the length of the rail will be very short and was not sure if it was going to be really useful. So I decided to just glue a front grip and forget about a rail system. Then I had to decide what kind of front grip I wanted. For a while, I played Battlefield 2142 and was a big fan of this futuristic gun called VOSS. I took the idea of finger channeled front grip from VOSS. Hence the current design. The below is the pic of VOSS for those who are not familiar with it.

23055625um6.jpg rimg0241jpgur6.th.jpg

Then I started putting whole bunch of different putties cuz I didn't know which one works the best. Here in Japan, it is not too hard to buy different kinds of putties for modeling purposes and gardening. The one I used the most was called "metal putty". It basically is a very hard putty compared to other putties when its cured. It isn't really made from metal. After getting a basic shape with metal putty, I used other slightly softer putty to fix up dents and other deformations. This is the work in progress.

rimg0275jpghb3.th.jpg

I bridged the front grip (I used a regular M4 grip) and a selecter area (it also is a trigger guard) to increase the whole gun's rigidness. Again, I used metal putty for the most part. Towards the end, I was in this endless loop of putting putty > sand > find deformation > put putty > sand > find .... and Tamiya lacquor putty I was using for finishing up took about a day to completely dry. So it was taking too much time. I tried super glue putty I had in my stock for my modelling purposes which I had never used. And this thing dries really quick and let me start sanding after a few minutes. This speeded up the whole process. These pics show my sanding process. The right show the state right before painting. It took me so long (couple of weeks) to make it very smooth. It's sanding, finding dents, putting putties, sanding, finding dents, putting putties, rinse and repeat...

rimg0282jpgyt6.th.jpg rimg0289jpglu5.th.jpg

These show finished lower. As you can see, the main grip is not attached straight... :P

rimg0300jpgua3.th.jpg rimg0293jpgqf6.th.jpg

Now on to painting. I first used a Tamiya surfacer. If I was more anal about the surface finish, I would have went back to sanding to really make the surface smooth, but I was not. So I went on to spray military tan color right away. This was too yellowish for my taste. I gave it a few minutes of thought and decided to go ahead and try multicamo paint. I took out my airbrush and started mixing colors. I had a good reference as my BDU is a multicamo. I used a thick paper and cut out different shapes. I used this and started with darker colors and moved gradually on to lighter colors.

rimg0305yy8.th.jpg rimg0309sy3.th.jpg rimg0323ml3.th.jpg rimg0548jpgpp8.th.jpg rimg0543jpgwt9.th.jpg rimg0552jpgcm0.th.jpg

After I finished airbrushing, I used flat clear coat spray to protect the paint layers. After a couple of skirmishing, the paint got some scratches even with the clear coat, but it looks cool with some paints scraped off.

Now let me talk a bit about the internals. I did change couple of mechbox parts to custom parts : spring, spring guide, some of the bushings, tappet plate, cylinder, piston head, 300mm inner barrel, hop rubber, FET device). These are all good, but I wanted to make the gun really quiet. So here is what I did. I pasted a sheet of lead inside the outer so that it sort of wraps mechbox around. This reduced the sound from mechbox (but made the gun much heavier). I also stuck a boron sponge on the back of cylinder head to supress the noise when piston head hits the back of cylinder head. Please note that this will make piston position to be slightly backed up when its in forward position and it may cause the piston to crash. I filed the second teeth of the rack gear on the piston to remedy this. Finally, I took out the sponge from suppressor and swapped it with melamin sponge which is said to suppress sound better than other materials. Now the gun is very quiet.

Well....

I gotta say that I feel sorry for your poor P90 but the result, even though it isn't what I would have done, looks very high quality. :D

I must say, as well, 10/10 for getting on and doing it and THEN posting a thread to show us how it went rather than posting the thread when you have a germ of an idea and then updating it every time you glue something or paint something.

Seriously, maybe I'm impatient but I like to read this stuff and see how it turns out. Not spend 6 months looking for updates.

When you chop up and join bits of textured plastic it always shows up because the joint has a different texture. You seem to have managed very well there. The end result doesn't look like a bodge-job. It looks like it was built that way.

Just looks a bit long to my eyes, kinda like a cross between a P90 and an AUG.

*EDIT*

I can't help looking at the picture of the P90 with the flip-down grip on and thinking that could have been so much slicker with a bit of modification.

If you lopped the front off and then fitted that grip like THIS it would have looked very tidy.

Don't mean to discredit what you DID do, but I just think that grip would look really nice on a P90. :)

Well....

I gotta say that I feel sorry for your poor P90 but the result, even though it isn't what I would have done, looks very high quality. :D

I must say, as well, 10/10 for getting on and doing it and THEN posting a thread to show us how it went rather than posting the thread when you have a germ of an idea and then updating it every time you glue something or paint something.

Seriously, maybe I'm impatient but I like to read this stuff and see how it turns out. Not spend 6 months looking for updates.

When you chop up and join bits of textured plastic it always shows up because the joint has a different texture. You seem to have managed very well there. The end result doesn't look like a bodge-job. It looks like it was built that way.

Just looks a bit long to my eyes, kinda like a cross between a P90 and an AUG.

*EDIT*

I can't help looking at the picture of the P90 with the flip-down grip on and thinking that could have been so much slicker with a bit of modification.

If you lopped the front off and then fitted that grip like THIS it would have looked very tidy.

Don't mean to discredit what you DID do, but I just think that grip would look really nice on a P90. :)

Yeah putting a small rail and a flip down grip on was the initial idea like in the drawing. One major problem with that was the strength of the lower frame itself. As I sawed off all of front grip, the front part of the gun was wobbly. When I put my upper receiver in, I could see the entire front area would move up and down if I put a bit of pressure. I could have worked a bit harder to make it strong enough for front grip and rail, but I found an excuse called "VOSS" :P

Anyway, thanks for a good feedback. Incidentally, my friend who gave me this P90 frame told me exactly the same thing as you did.

Yeah putting a small rail and a flip down grip on was the initial idea like in the drawing. One major problem with that was the strength of the lower frame itself. As I sawed off all of front grip, the front part of the gun was wobbly. When I put my upper receiver in, I could see the entire front area would move up and down if I put a bit of pressure. I could have worked a bit harder to make it strong enough for front grip and rail, but I found an excuse called "VOSS" :P

Anyway, thanks for a good feedback. Incidentally, my friend who gave me this P90 frame told me exactly the same thing as you did.

Looks great, and very similar to the "Voss" in Battlefield 2142 :P

well done, lazycrane !!!!

like stealth, i wouldn't have done it that way though. ;) especially not to my newly acquired RD. :P

on second thought . . . .

may try another redesign of the p90 on the CA Sportsline RD when it comes out. he he ha , , ,

Archived