Fiber Optic-ish sights

renegadecow

I was messing around with my M500 front sight last night, shaving off some material as it was too tall. Then I realized how easy it would be to make new sets of sights ranging from a hooded front to one which looks like the hammer and sickle emblem of ye old USSR <_< Then I thought "Fiber Optic". Pretty as it is, it costs $36~$41 on the Smith&Wesson website. Since I've bought from them before, I know that shipping will be an extra $20 even for such a small part. The important part here is I HAVE NO MONEY. The solution, amazingly enough, comes from my childhood: LEGO. Specifically, the green antenna part commonly found in those space sets.

Its green. Its bright. It glows. Not exactly fiber optic but it works. Now to chop it up.

I just fashioned a piece of PVC to look the part by S&W also copying the dimensions of the original front sight. A large gap is in the middle to accumulate light and two holes on either end are drilled to keep the rod in place. Now, its important that you polish the ends of the antenna you cut up so that it does light up. To do this cleanly, cut your length with a very sharp knife/cutter. Sand ends with 400 grit sand paper. Buff both ends against a sheet of paper until shiny. Paper actually acts like sandpaper with 1000+grit.

I just painted the pvc part black, wait for it to dry and poke in the antenna bit and is held in by friction. The whole ordeal took just this morning, start to finish.

unpainted. it glows :o

100_0596.jpg

on the gun

100_0599.jpg

aimed, very low light, no camera flash

100_0603.jpg

I actually had that same ideamonths ago, as my students always have lego parts all over the place. Ijust wanted the looks for my Kart EBR (the aftermarket kits' sights have the glow-worms), but never thought it'd work.

Archived